Fitting a camera..how to pick up 12v supply on dash?

I have a dashboard/windscreen camera I want to fit in case of accidents - actually two, forward and rear facing, records last five minutes then over records, stopping to save evidence in an incident. Lots of problems with staged accidents now esp in other parts of Europe. Many insurers like the idea too. Anyway, it needs a power supply, preferably ignition controlled. Lots of space on passenger end of dash at side (next to the glove box) for extension cigar lighter socket and PSU, but I can't find anywhere easy to tap into an existing supply 12v +/- with Scotchlocks. Preferably without upsetting CANBUS. Glove compartment wire is a b***er to get to, and is permanently on. Any better ideas out there please?

I've bought a camera but not installed yet, I'm planning on using the supply line to the rear view mirror as it's switched from the ignition and means I can mount the camera up high. Hopefully I get time this weekend.

Otherwise, you can add fuses to the internal fuse box. The lower half is switched with ignition but you need some wires. There are howto's out there.

I tapped in a switched live wire in amongst the radio wiring from memory, or possibly the headlight switch - I forget. The wiring runs up the A pillar trim, above the headlining and out to where it pops down behind the rearview mirror.

I think quite a few feed the power cable down behind the A pillar for the front one and use a piggy back fuse holder off ebay to pick up a swithched live in the fuse box, but I'd be interested to know what methods they used to feed the wire behind the headlining and behind the A pillar cover

...but I'd be interested to know what methods they used to feed the wire behind the headlining and behind the A pillar cover

The a pillar cover comes off. To feed behind the headliner, just pop the vanity lamp out and use an unbent coathanger in two stages: from the a pillar to the lamp hole, from the lamp hole to the mirror.

apillar1.jpg

vanitylamp2.png

interiorlight3.png

Edited by wokwon

Many thanks, really helpful. The reason for not taking power from mirror is that these cameras need a 5v supply, with a plug in transformer from cigar lighter socket - hence using the space in the dash. Too big for behind headlining. I also want it passenger side to get best roadview when I am driving on right...and A frame cables run up drivers side. I also can't find a cable colour guide to see which is which. But I think it's simply me making my own life difficult!

BTW camera needs to next to A frame at top, as in centre, by or behind mirror, the sun shading printed on the glass prevents filming through windscreen.

Currently thinking of back to fuse board...didn't know bottom half is switched versus top. Top tip among lots of god advice, and many thanks to all.

Pictures of my camera installation ...

http://www.briskoda....ombi-ii-camera/

Checkout sample movies on...

http://forum.dashcam...ic.php?f=2&t=21

This is not for my exact camera system, it's the 4:3 version, but quality about the same.

If anyone interested I can supply further details

Thanks for that, the setup doesn't look too intrusive from the driving seat.

How much was the setup and did you install it yourself?

100%...... I have the knowledge/ experience/ equipment .... and a gadget freak !

Picked up power supply from interior mirror, used a 12V/5V power supply module, not the aux type supplied with the camera.

Using 32Gb card it can hold many hours of recordings, auto over write oldest files.

Been running system for over 7 months.

Yes, installation very unobtrusive from inside and outside.

Checkout mini review of this camera....

http://forum.dashcam...4&start=20#p361

Edited by DCC

Fitted camera today. High up behind mirror on passenger side, lens just shoots under the sun strip.

Wiring plan courtesy of Wokwon, bottom half of fuseboard (switched), using a spade from a dismantled fuse, into a 3a in-line fuse, taking negative from body screw next to fusebox. That runs to wandering cigar/caravan socket, which camera 5v drop down transformer plugs into. This all tucks behind the door frame by the fuses. Duct tape to stop it rattling.

Then wires go up the A frame, again thanks Wokwon for the diagram, round the back of airbag, and tucked above front of headlining. Did think about mirror wiring, had a look but it's very tight, and don't have the wiring colours. Delighted though and many thanks for super advice.

You can get a repair wire from the dealer which plugs into the back of the fuse box to give a new fused connection. They are a bit fiddly to install but look OEM and it will have its own fuse. The wire only costs a couple if quid and you can actually cut in half and have two connections.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Do you have to take all the fuses out to do this?

No, but you have to undo it, get behind it and release a fiddly clip and then you can plug in the new wire and reassemble. Then you just plug in the fuse. If it like the Octavia you will need a long torx screwdriver, a torch, a healthy selection of expletives and a couple plasters for your knuckles.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Slightly OT, but can I ask what cameras you bought, as this is something I've recently been considering

I've just bought the Blackvue 380 on advice.from Bossfox who has loads of experience of dashcams. Got it from smartcam direct for £169 and have also got a piggyback fuse holder off ebay to save messing too much with the fuse box. Just got to find time to fit it when SWMBO isn't about!