Oil temp question

Hello everyone,

My 12 plate Octavia tdi vRS is coming up to 19k miles and the service indicator flashes up saying service now due which will get sorted, but recently the oil temp has been going up to over 100 when driving on motorways mainly.

Question is would a service with fresh oil help this or is it just normal now we are getting some warmer weather?

I changed the oil at 10k miles so shouldn't think that's causing an issue.

Just curious :)

Check engine oil level before morning start and also the coolant level.... because low oil and coolant levels some times leads to higher engine temperatures.... outside weather has nothing to do with it, because here in India we are experiencing temperatures above 45 degree C.... and my car's temp. doesn't go above 90. Hope that helps.

Regards

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

My 12 plate Octavia tdi vRS is coming up to 19k miles and the service indicator flashes up saying service now due which will get sorted, but recently the oil temp has been going up to over 100 when driving on motorways mainly.

Question is would a service with fresh oil help this or is it just normal now we are getting some warmer weather?

100+ degree c oil temps nothing to worry about, particularly at high engine loads.

bear in mind in India they dont have a 170 CR vRS and their cars have completely different cooling systems because of their extreme climate so may well run no hotter than 90 degrees

Last summer I hired a brand new VW transporter van with the 2.0 140 CR engine. I noticed 100-105 C seemed to be the normal operating range for the oil as shown by maxidot.

So I wouldn't worry.

I've seen 105C on mine at motorway speeds when outside temps are above about 18C..... during winter the highest I usually see is 96C

Exactly what I'm seeing, but only had my car since December which is why I mentioned the weather getting warmer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hello everyone,

What sort of speed are you doing? I know that if i sit at 70 the oil temp floats between 92 and 100. If you are on the naughty side of 70 then i'd expect it to sit slightly higher since the engine is having to work harder.

The highest i've ever seen mine is 108 but that was after an entusiastic drive alone some back roads (within the speed limits) and the temp came back down to normal within 5 mins.

My regular highway temps are either around 94-96 or 102-104^C, probably something to do with DPF regens.

108^C is not uncommon on hard driving; oil temp hit 120 after 4 laps on a track day, kept going for another 4 laps and it didn't get any higher - just stayed at 120. The coolant temp hit a max of 105 but then went straight back down to 103 and stayed there too.

Also, no brake fade at all on stock vRS pads/discs. ;)

I don't think you have a problem - or if you have, I do too!

I also think that outside temperature does make a difference.

On my 1.8 TSI [petrol turbo] the temperature is around 100-103 C at 70 mph with an outside temperature of 20 C.

During the winter it was 93 ish with an outside temp. of zero.

I can remember in the very old days there was a theory that oil had to go above a 100 to boil off any water - I guess modern oils have completely changed this.

One thing that does surprise me is how long it can take for the oil to get up to temperature in the winter. The water temp hits mid range [90?] within 2 - 3 miles. Oil can take 20 miles. I think the new VAG engine, according to some write-ups, has improved this.

One thing that does surprise me is how long it can take for the oil to get up to temperature in the winter. The water temp hits mid range [90?] within 2 - 3 miles. Oil can take 20 miles. I think the new VAG engine, according to some write-ups, has improved this.

That was the big surprise for me when I hired the VW transporter 2.0 140 CR. Even though it was summer it took a lot longer than the water to get up to temperature.......a good 10 minutes or so.

In 1999 I saw 120 or perhaps even 125 deg centigrade on our 1.9 TDI Galaxy.

Working hard on a sustained Motorway climb in Spain.

For probably a half hour minimum.

I put another 225,000 miles on her after, without incident.

I admit to being a trifle concerned at the time.

I used to have a mk1 leon cupra r with stage 2 upgrade. I fitted an oil temp guage and discovered it hit 140c on the nurburgring! I fitted an additional oil cooler and it never went above 120c after that.