Long journeys

Has anyone made a really long journey in the new Octavia?

And by long I mean sit for about 6-8 hours straight.

Was there any discomfort? I currently have a 2011 VW Polo TDI and I always need to get up and move around every 3 or so hours or have major back pains.

Will you be able to drive it that length of time without stopping to refuel due to its tiny tank ? ;-)

The length is only in time so if you are an eco driver you will do better than that. I expect with an economic drive to reach 9-10 hours until refuel with a 1.4 TSI petrol (maximum I would say).

With a 1.6 TDI you should be able to go and return with the same tank :rofl: (a simple expectation based on the consumption advertised)

The Elegance version here has lumbar support which will make the difference on long trips.

Edited by Harkonnen

I would say for your own sanity that 6 to 8 hours straight in any vehicle isn't recommended. Not stopping for wee stops suggests probably not taking on water, and at least for me, I find I need to fairly regularly take a glug of water whilst driving. Does tend to mean a stop at a services at least every 3 hours or so though :D (which is a good time for a little rest, walk, etc to flex the back/knees, etc)

I would say for your own sanity that 6 to 8 hours straight in any vehicle isn't recommended. Not stopping for wee stops suggests probably not taking on water, and at least for me, I find I need to fairly regularly take a glug of water whilst driving. Does tend to mean a stop at a services at least every 3 hours or so though :D (which is a good time for a little rest, walk, etc to flex the back/knees, etc)

Once I hit the road I hate stopping before I reach my destination. Strangely though with a 4 year old and a 7 year old it always seems to be the wife that demands the first comfort stop! And she doesn't appreciate being told to go before setting off.

• Like 1

Will be heading down to Cornwall on Monday for a week with the family. Not that I'm going to do the whole stint in one go but will definately report back on the loooooong journey.

Did have a nasty journey back home on Friday, grid lock on the M11 and that was around 2 hours of creeping traffic and no discomfort to report, other than drinking my nightly drink within 10 minutes of being on the road and not having nothing else until I got home.

I agree, it's good for both your health (specially your back) and your safety.

I'm also interested in what its like as a long distance cruiser. :) I'll usually do around 5 - 6,000 miles abroad each year and that usually includes a 14 hour drive at either end of the journey. In that time I'll make sure I have at least four stops, more likely five.