Accessing the Fog/DRL bulb housing

Hi

I have looked around the forum and found loads of posts about the DRLs and what bulbs people are using but I cannot for the life of me find a post that tells you how to access the bulbs to change them. To be fair though my eyes have become square with all the reading I have been doing about my new 2013 MC.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a clear answer as to whether these bulbs are monitored by the CANBUS system and if they will throw up an error on the dash without a load resistor. I'm of the thinking that they wont be, please correct me if I am wrong. I will be changing them for 10W Q5 CREE bulbs..mainly for cosmetic reasons, I just want to get rid of the yellow glow the standard filament bulbs seem to emit.

Thanks for looking.

The illustrated information on how to change the bulbs is in the car's handbook, and they are monitored by the Canbus system. Some LEDs will work without resistors, and some will require them. This info is usually stated within the advert for the LEDs.

Thanks guys.

The video was really helpful. I have just found the guide in the handbook, I had only looked in the section regarding lights.

That video is going to cost me money as now I want to change the horn which I thought would be a much harder job.

Thanks again.

Which is the brightest for DRL please? My 2012 Fabia Elegance DRLs are too orangey-white. Some of these links say 21 watts, some 5 watts, it's so confusing...

http://www.ebay.co.u...E-/310335457066

http://www.ebay.co.u...E-/180657021025

http://www.hids-dire...ed-bulbs-white/

Edited by FabFabFabia

I have just fitted a new Bosch EC9 fanfare horn. Much better now, great sound to it and very easy to fit. I had to mske up the wiring myself and did a bit of Blue Peter type work to make some connections to plug into the cars original socket without cutting any wires.

New bulbs fitted too. I went for 10W Q5 Cree bulbs. Popped them in no problems and no errors on the dash.

Very easy job but feeling very smug ; )

Yes, I bought from the Ebay seller "ultra-hids". Well pleased :)

My headlights are the "curve projector halogen with DE Module and cornering fog lights" so I'd better not change these for xenons in case I bugger something up.

I wouldn't mind brighter interior lights though - have you swapped yours?

I haven't changed my interior bulbs.......yet. I will do when I find the time.

I am also going to change the number plate bulbs too, going to use LEDs there too.

Do you know what bulbs the fogs are? I can't find it in the book.

It was quicker to take the bulb out and have a look! They are H8!

Do you have a centre armrest at the front? I've just been quoted £160 part only.

Also my dealer tried to charge me to have the anti hijack and alarm chirp enabled. I also got all the doors to unlock with a single press

I found a very friendly local fella to connect his laptop to my car and, with his software, he enabled the chirp / chirp chirp on lock/unlock, single keypress for lock/unlock, increased the power steering to the highest level for easier turning when parking, etc, enabled the large MPH on the Maxidot (changed country from UK to Australia), and enabled dial sweeps on startup. He only charged me a couple of beers! No doubt there are Skoda/VW owners in your area that can help so I should put feelers out on this forum.

My Fabia Elegance came with a centre armrest but I leave it up because it's hard attaching the seat belt with it down.

Edited by FabFabFabia

I want the dials to sweep and the big speedo. There is no one in the Highlands coming forward yet with a cable. Looks like the Borders might be my closest, I've had offers of help which is brilliant but not close.

The dealers won't do that for me.

Have you looked at the UK map of this forum's members who have the software to easily do those mods for you? There's a fella in Inverness, two more in the Aberdeen area, etc. I'm sure one of these members can help you.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=209732397261666218585.0004c66cecde3f435ecb4&msa=0

I did look at the map, thanks.The guy in Inverness, which is where I work, has not been active since 2012 unfortunately so that one is a non starter. Aberdeen may be an option though....i'll look into that one :happy:

I think I will do that, you never know and you lose nothing in trying.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the mods done on the blue VRS. A lot of them are not my cup of tea. Too many LEDs for my liking and a little too much like a ram raid through Halfords?? Having said that, the finish is very good and he has spent a lot of time and money getting his car the way he want it.

I agree - after the few software mods and the DRL's, my only other next mod would be brighter interior lights once I find out how to install them, what to get, etc. I'm indebted to you, jonro, for the heads-up on the DRL choice though :)

Oh, I've just bought new speakers and a subwoofer so it's a slippery slope..... ;-)

Glad to pass on some of my good luck finding them.

The 'festoon' lights are very easy to change. the covers just pop off using a flat headed screwdriver. I will be fooling around in her tomorrow so will see if I can find what bulbs are needed. In past experience I have had problems with LEDs inside previous cars, mainly due to them dimming gently as normal bulbs do just before they go out. Ive changed door lights, roof lights and number plate lights in the past. I feel I have a better idea of what I want and need though.

Not really brave enough to go down the ICE route yet, but with a gentle shove and a bit of guidance I may be convinced! Are you familiar with removing the door cards so you can get to your speakers?

Not really brave enough to go down the ICE route yet, but with a gentle shove and a bit of guidance I may be convinced! Are you familiar with removing the door cards so you can get to your speakers?

Not yet, no, my previous install in Feb was by an ICE shop but I was never happy with the sound or the installation. This time I'm getting a local installer to install to my house so I'll watch him do it and learn something in the process. I'm not brave enough to mess with the doors or the electrics just yet :)

Excellent tutorial here to show how to remove your door cards...I'm extremely tempted to do this...lighting is my thang!! No neon tough, i draw the line there haha

Do you have the link by any chance?