Urgetn advice needed! Temperature guage

Hi everyone

Our Fabia 1.9tdi 2001 has started to have a temperature guage problem.

It's our main car and I am currently having to take my partner to hospital and back (100 mile round trip) everyday and for the next three weeks.

In four years of ownership the temperature guage has sat dead centre and never varied. Today it started to go down and then back up to nearly dead centre again. It dropped when in 2nd and 3rd and went back to near centre when in 4th or 5th gear. Took it up to 75mph but would not get back to complete dead centre. No coolant has been used, it still is at the same mark it has always been.

Any ideas on what it could be? And would you drive it everyday for the next three weeks? It is essential that she finishes her treatment. Our second car is an old 4x4 and will not do that sort of mileage - its only for getting us to the local shops in the deep snow we get here.

Darfash

Thermostat or coolant temperature sensor. Probably worth replacing both for the cost of them.

As long as the temperature doesn't start going above half way then I really wouldn't worry.

On a 1.9 TDI, this is nearly always (in my experience) caused by a fault coolant temp sender. VCDS can verify this. It's not an expensive part to replace. The sensor is located in the water pipes somewhere down by the side of the engine between engine & battery box (sort of) Looks like this when removed but could be a different colour. Often black.

DSCN3862.jpg

Exactly as said above. Mine is located back right side of engine block beneath the maf sensor area. If yours is same its not easily visible but you can feel it. To remove it has a 'c' clip that you will have to remove. Be careful not to snap it.