EGR Valve

I have just had a new EGR valve fitted under warranty following flashing glow plug light and limp mode on my Fabia 1.6 cr tdi 75bhp. It is 24 months old. It was a demo with 4k on when I purchased, now has 23k. Is this thing likely to happen every 2 years?

I am considering an extended warranty with waranty direct when the skoda waranty expires. Anyone had experience claiming of them. I have heard bad things about extended warranties.

More information. Daily commute 12 miles. 3 miles town, 9 miles B road mostly 45-50mph. I probably drive like granny to save fuel.

Edited by bobjob49

An extended warranty with either Warranty Direct or Warranty Wise is ok. I went with Warrany Wise. They both offer different levels of cover to met your needs. Both companies have a good reputation and I know people that have made claims with both companies without any problems. One of those claims was a gearbox rebuild on a BMW X5 costing nearly £5k. They paid up no problem.

EGR valves should last a long time. However, their life span is directly affected by the sort of motoring you do, and how you drive the car. To a lesser extent the quality of fuel is also a factor. If you plonk your car around in high gears, do shorter trips, and don't regularly use the car in an energetic way the egr will clog up and be more likely to fail. Of course, your egr may have just gone faulty due to an electrical problem with the valve step motor or some such thing.

• Like 1