My first impressions

the very first Octavia reached our shores two days ago and I had a closer look at it today , still has to drive it though , it's a 1.8 TSI demo car , fully kitted bar the panoramic roof ... Love the big sat nav screen which seems easy to use but otherwise am a bit disappointed by the overall car , styling wise it looks very very similar to the Rapid , interior space is roughly the same and the dash is one piece of black dull trim , they should have cut a line with fakish aluminium or wood trim as on the Superb and previous Octavia that carries on from the door trim ... Some fit and finish is not up to standard either , the rear door cubby holes are so small and pointless and i must say that Skoda should have done something better , have an 07 pre facelift Octavia Ambiente and in my opinion the boot is more shallow and deeper and although the interior is more plain and conservative , the new Octavia's dash will look dated in a years time ... the fit and finish of some rubber trim especially round the doors is not up to it too .. I think that size and space wise the Rapid's cabin and boot are so close and if I am looking for a family sized car , with the essential comforts and a good boot i think I'd go for the cheaper Rapid ... A fully kitted Rapid will cost less than a bog standard Octavia ...

Did you drive the rapid? When I stepped into that car I felt the same as ok n Clio Symbol (Thalia on other markets) so good luck with your rapid.

Here Rapid is just 2000€ cheaper than the same level of equipment octavia...

Edited by Harkonnen

Yep it was ... And I heard similar opinions,don't get me wrong,but yes,Skoda are looking into reducing costs to keep price down,ain't saying that it ain't screwed together well or it will break down,the rapid is cheap cause it was built to be so to compete but as I said stepping into the Octavia you'd expect something completely different, it's nice but u won't say wow ... A major step both in design and interior build quality was carried onto the Octavia 2 from the Octavia 1 but it's not the case on the new model ... Looks nice but not that I'd want to swap mine for it ....

Totally different opinion to me and I've owned both the mk1 and mk2 Octavias. Rapid was the let down in many areas you've mention and was night and day a different car once out on the road or even just sitting in it! Are you sure you've not been describing the interior of the Rapid above?!

• Like 1

Am 100 % definite that I am referring to the Octavia .. Rapid is build at a cost and it just shows . I didn't like it , my opinion that's all ... Will stick to my current Octavia for a longer period ...

I've got no experience with previous models, but I was looking to match the quality of my top of the range Qashqai. When l leased it 3 years ago, I was also looking at the Passat, new BMW 5 series, new Merc E class, Audi A4 / A6. The conlcusion I came to then was there was no difference in build / quality to justify the additional cost of all the others compared to the Nissan. This time round I was looking to reduce costs but with no loss of quality / build, and the new Octy fitted the bill fantastically. Depends where you are coming from, but I think its fantastic value, considering the quality is right up there with pretty much anything on the market in the same bracket. The Rapid on the other hand is fantastic value for a big family car that looks good, but the quality is clearly much lower than the industry standard - if I was a taxi driver, this would be my choice.

I have to agree the new Octavia is an improvement on the MK2 in many areas but currenly owning a last of the line vRS Blackline estate I dont think the new car (vRS included) offers enough of a leap to make me want to throw mine in as part exchange. For example a new vRS CR estate probably wont have standard leather or sat nav (mine has DAB, Bluetooth and rear sensors anyway) and whilst its a bit cleaner and efficient its barely any quicker.....and worst of all its bound to be hugely more expensive than my blackline was on the basis it will be a more expensive car with little or no discount offered from launch.

I think its a shame Skoda are moving away from being a good value for money proposition; in many ways because I still dont think they have the product or brand prestige just yet to consider going upmarket; I still see them as budget VWs as I am sure still do most of the UKs car driving population, good cars but budget all the same.

Edited by pipsyp

A great example of where we are all coming from, and I agree with your logic for not changing. time will tell if new buyers will outnumber old, now lost buyers. I looked at the new Dacia Sandero as a potential cash purchase / run it into the ground car, instead of going for a lease, and I have to say it was really very good for less that £10K.

A great example of where we are all coming from, and I agree with your logic for not changing. time will tell if new buyers will outnumber old, now lost buyers. I looked at the new Dacia Sandero as a potential cash purchase / run it into the ground car, instead of going for a lease, and I have to say it was really very good for less that £10K.

I would love to know if Dacia (Renault?) really can make a long term reliable car for less than £10k

Strange opinion, most people I know who have sat in it or driven it think its a leader in its class. Everyone entitled to their opinion but must say your description doesn't match the car I sat in and drove that persuaded me out of my yeti for few yrs.

Edited by redandwhitepauly
  • Like 2

Totally different opinion to me and I've owned both the mk1 and mk2 Octavias. Rapid was the let down in many areas you've mention and was night and day a different car once out on the road or even just sitting in it! Are you sure you've not been describing the interior of the Rapid above?!

I totally agree, I think the Octavia is great value for money, way better than the Rapid. But that's what a forum is for, to express opinions. Personally I enjoy the car more every day, and my previous car was a 3 Series (E90).

Have a nice weekend everbody, and drive safe.

• Like 2

I had the very same impression when I first got into the car. It's something unimaginable coming from a small class to Octavia 3.

Edited by Harkonnen