Can I tow it?

Hi Guys

Following on from my thread earlier in the week my gearbox went bang.

Got underneath it on tuesday to find this.

9128777582_b33f78d317.jpg

2013-06-24 18.25.18 by mattrsa, on Flickr

9128775018_8f19b6b5b4.jpg

2013-06-24 18.26.45 by mattrsa, on Flickr

I'm guessing the gearbox has had it based on what I have read in other threads. The car is outside my house so my question is can I tow it using my other car to the garage or will it do even more damage? or do I need to get it on a flat bed which is going to cost a bomb.

Can you remove both drive shafts? No chance of any more damaged being caused / making the repair bill bigger

Don't be taking the shafts off. You'll and up damaging the wheel bearings.

Don't be taking the shafts off. You'll and up damaging the wheel bearings.

on most cars yes, but on a Fabia no as the bearings do not use the driveshaft to preload them, removing the driveshafts is the safest way of ensuring that nothing jams up and causes an accident while its being towed.

But if it is not far and you go steady I recon it will be ok

on most cars yes, but on a Fabia no as the bearings do not use the driveshaft to preload them, removing the driveshafts is the safest way of ensuring that nothing jams up and causes an accident while its being towed.

But if it is not far and you go steady I recon it will be ok

Thanks guys. The garage is only about 3 miles away so fingers crossed it will be ok. Don't fancy calling out a flat bed which I suspect will be over 100 quid