15% discounts on a new Yeti from online dealers - any experiences?

docc

I'm being quoted a discount of around 15% for a 1.2 TSI Elegance by www.discounted-new-cars.com/ (Cort Vehicle Contracts Ltd of Bury, Lancs). Local dealer said over the phone that he'd match any price, but when it came to the crunch the best they'd offer was around 8% - a price difference of around £1250.

They maintain that their maximum margin is only 14%, so no possibility (despite the promise) of getting anywhere near the Cort price - which is an On The Road, fully delivered price.

Has anyone any experiences of this company? Or any of the other online sellers?

Not used this one, but used Drive The Deal to buy my Yeti. They stopped supplying them for a little while (not sure why) but are back in the game now...

Yeti 1.2TSI Elegance

£19235 list price

£17024 Drive The Deal price

£2147 discount

That's about 11.5% discount (I think!)

Used Carfile to buy my previous Octavia make sure you pay any money to the main dealer not the broker it is safer

• Like 1

Interesting - and thanks. 13% from a local dealer sounds good, and I'd probably bite at that, but not at the 8% currently on offer. Seems to be no real downside to using Cort Vehicle Contracts, but I'd rather like to get some feedback from other customers first. They do seem to be offering better deals than carfile and Drive The Deal - particularly as the latter insists (I think) on selling you credit as well.

Tried my local dealer with a quote for a fully specced 1.2TSI Elegance from DTD. He

said he could not get anywhere near it.

I couldn't be bothered to hike the quote around numerous dealers until I may have

found one on the other side of the country who could match it. I also didn't like the

idea of waiting for however long for a new one to be delivered if I order from a

broker. Still a bit iffy about using brokers.

Luckily I found a demonstrator with most of the spec I wanted locally so went with

that. Waiting months for delivery is out of the question. I would just lose interest!

Hi.

I ordered from my Skoda dealer a fortnight ago as they matched an offer from DriveTheDeal:

- Yeti L&K 170 with Steel-Grey Metallic Paint: £26,480

- Discount : £3,185 i.e. 12%

- Order Price: £23,295

I'll also take the minimum financing (50%) to get 3 years free servicing but then pay-off the loan asap as the service offer will remain. Dealer told me the service is worth ~£500 over the period but incurs a £60 set-up fee, hence Financing is worth ~£460 (excluding interest charges).

This increases the total discount to £3625 which is 13.7%

Hope my Maths is correct!

I've just got 13% at the dealer but the deal needed to be done by the end of june which is the end of their quarter, so I expect with the new quarter starting they are not in a panic to give discounts to reach their quarterly sales targets, they chucked in the G3 paint treatment foc as a deal sealer as well.

I assume all this talk of precise % discounts is from people who are not p/xing? Otherwise, any discount is largely meaningless, as it's the amount to change, taking into account the p/x allowance (or indeed anything you make from a private sale), which is the figure you're most interested in. When I swapped my 2.5 year-old Elegance for an L&K, I could have claimed either to have recouped over 80% of my original purchase price on the Elegance, or to have got about a 13% discount on the L&K - but not both (although George Osbourne would no doubt do the sums that way!).

• Like 2

I'll also take the minimum financing (50%) to get 3 years free servicing but then pay-off the loan asap as the service offer will remain. Dealer told me the service is worth ~£500 over the period but incurs a £60 set-up fee, hence Financing is worth ~£460 (excluding interest charges).

That's what I did when I got my L&K 170 last month (also steel grey  :happy: ).

If you pay off the finance within the first 14 days you are actually withdrawing from the agreement, so shouldn't have any fees to pay (just daily interest).  After 14 days you would have to request an early settlement figure which probably would include some fees.

Carquake.co.uk have the 2 mentioned vehicles above for £16795 (1.2 elegance) and £22490 (170 L&K w metallic) respectively but I've never used these people. The website seems to imply that the dealer near Walsall will contact you directly or you simply call them.

Has anyone else on here used this website before?

I, like others on here, have bought through DTD and Carfile in the past. Usually any deposit is over £100 so paying by credit card gives protection (though this is paid directly to the dealer usually.)

I thought carquake went under a couple of years ago.

I believed they were doing something that involved you getting a new car but were not the first owner and you couldn't have the documents for a period of time.

It made for an interesting insurance position and i'm assuming, since HMRC got very bent out of shape about it, they were doing some sort of clever tax fandango to pull it off.

I'm fairly sure that they weren't alone in that sort of thing and i believe it got squashed in the courts?

Or i might be wrong, i often am, but that's how i thought they worked.

There's some very useful information (and warnings) here about buying from brokers:  http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/internet-sales-and-brokers/

Here's a quick summary, but the link shows further detail:

Ask the broker about whether a 'new' car will be registered in your name as the 1st registered keeper.
Who pre-delivery inspected the car?
Is the car UK supplied and warranted?
How old is the car?
Will you be the first registered keeper?
Is the car an independent or ‘parallel’ import?
If the car is not in stock, how will it be sourced?
Does the price depend on a finance deal?