Engine Oil Level Warning Light Comes On

The engine oil level warning light is coming on  - yellow oil can icon. (NOT  red)  Oil level is correct, up to max on dipstick. Open and close bonnet and light goes out, as it is supposed to. Ok for a few miles and then comes on again. Warning light is NOT flashing and no audible signal, so not oil level sensor fault, according to the handbook. Anyone out there got any ideas before I book it in.  Any help would be much appreciated. Car is Octy Elegance 1.8 TSI  2011 Mileage 10,000.  Love the car !   Newbie here - first post  Thanks Rentner

• 4 weeks later...

The engine oil level warning light is coming on  - yellow oil can icon. (NOT  red)  Oil level is correct, up to max on dipstick. Open and close bonnet and light goes out, as it is supposed to. Ok for a few miles and then comes on again. Warning light is NOT flashing and no audible signal, so not oil level sensor fault, according to the handbook. Anyone out there got any ideas before I book it in.  Any help would be much appreciated. Car is Octy Elegance 1.8 TSI  2011 Mileage 10,000.  Love the car !   Newbie here - first post  Thanks Rentner

Mine has just done this. Seems to happen when the car has been left out in the sun. Oil checked and correct level.

Do you get a solution to this?

Sorry I haven't replied to this before but been on hol. Took it to my dealer and the techie checked the oil level and it was just below max and he said to keep it right up to max level. He put a bit more oil in and its been fine since. And yes I had checked the level before I went and thought it was ok. So red face but my Octy is nearly 2 years old and never had the light on before. Perhaps the sensor is fairly sensitive   of maybe due to very hot weathwer ? ! Done a around 1000 miles since and has been ok so will make sure I keep it on max in future but it only uses minimal oil anyway.  Thanks for reading this  Ken

Thanks Tech1e for this valuable advice and your valid comments. I've done some longish journies since and it hasn't come on again but you could be right about the bonnet switch. I'll keep a close I on things and it's due in for a service at the beginning of Oct, so it it happens again I can get it sorted. If it does happen again I'll do another post and the outcome. Thanks for the advice Ken

Was it parked facing down hill?

When my 1.8TSi was parked facing down my steeply sloped drive the oil level was off the stick but check on the level and it was just below max.  Low oil light would occasionally come on when I started up in the morning but a dip check on the level always showed half way between the marks.

That engine was the most sensitive I have ever had to being on the level when dipping the oil.

When I had my 1.8TSi I never had a problem.

The light came on when it was close to the min mark just as it is supposed to do.

I had it for 2 years and did 98,000 miles in it and the light was never wrong when it came on.

• 6 years later...