throttle body cleaning

Hi all I'm not the most technically minded amongst us but have been looking fora thread which tells me where the throttle body is and how to clean it .please help a dumbo

Thank you very much got it off no problem next thing though should it be oily on the outlet side as that is mega dirty compared to the inlet

Edited by alex27

Thank you very much got it off no problem next thing though should it be oily on the outlet side as that is mega dirty compared to the inlet

The manifold side is where it gets gunked up the inlet side is normally pretty clean. Whatever you do not force the butterfly flap open as it will break. When I've done throttle body clean in the past I've left it plugged in & wedged the gas pedal down to clean around the edge of the flap.

• Like 1

I think it's just dirty as I've been getting some sluggish performance.I've recently changed coils dump valve and filter so this is my next try

Once cleaned you will need VCDS to reset it. Was it damaged before you decided to clean it?  Or was it just dirty?

Am I right in thinking that if you keep it plugged in during the clean you don't need to calibrate it?

It will adapt over a few driving cycles or you can use VCDS to do adaptation. If you unplug it it's important to turn the ignition on after reinstalling until the throttle body stops whistling, & then start up.

Edited by pauldazzle
  • Like 1