Mad drive on the M25.............

Musings of a mad drive on the M25..........

I don't know why I did it............. honestly.......... I don't............  :doh:

I wouldn't normally, but for once I just couldn't resist it.... I got goaded into it - honest!

Friends of mine said - "go on - do it" - you will be really surprised how much you like it... you will want to do it again and again............... So - last night I finally went and did it...................

What you might ask?

I drove my 2011 Octavia VRS sensibly............... I did... really....  :dull:

For god's sake though - don't tell anyone about it though - otherwise my reputation is gonna be ruined....  :whew: 

There has been a recent thread on here wondering what MPG people got from their VRS's and as I was going round the northern section of the M25 last night, and I knew that there was a 9½ mile section of 50mph average speed cameras on the route - I decided to leave a bit earlier and see what I could get out of the old beast being sensible for a change............. (Petrol, Manual By the way) - especially as I had never done this since I bought the old girl 10 months ago..............

So, off I went, keeping to 65-75 all the way from Harlow to just past the M3 (with the 9½ mile bit at 50mph) - ONLY using my right foot, NOT the cruise control, and to my amazement when I pulled off the M25 I checked the "average consumption" thingy on the dash computer, I found after 60.9 miles I had managed to get 47.2 mpg from the old girl..... Gobsmacked is one way to describe that...

Damned hard to do that though - by that I mean keeping my "enthusiastic" tendencies at bay..... but it was an interesting exercise to see what "could" be attained if I really wanted to...........

However, I didn't buy a VRS to pussy foot it around........... and I came back a tad faster...  :angel:

But hopefully this thread should prove slightly entertaining for someone to read, in which case I have done my job...........  :rock:

Proof... By the way.......

2013-07-06190720_zpsb62d7773.jpg

• Like 1

good figures! so did you clear the avg to zero as you set off or when you started your test on the motorway?

Set it all to zero before I set off...........

Impressive, best Ive had is 42mpg, could prob do better but just cant bring myself to drive my VRS like that lol.

Trust me - it was a one off............ VRS isn't meant to be driven like miss daisy.... it was only 'cos I had plenty of time and in no rush to get to where I was going.... coming back however, was a different matter...  :giggle:

• Like 1

Impressive, best Ive had is 42mpg, could prob do better but just cant bring myself to drive my VRS like that lol.

Got 39mpg on the way to Inters this morning - 60-65 all the way, only from Leicester so I could probably my have bettered it on longer trip.

Impressive mpg.  I didn't think that was possible from a petrol-engine vRS.  My 2012 diesel Octavia vRS averaged 49.7 for a 200 mile round trip mainly on dual carriageway and motorway although I may have 'inadvertently' exceeded the speed limits!  A 60-mile round trip on A roads with little traffic and keeping to speed limits yielded over 60mpg, although I did start with a warmed-up engine.

40mpg at 70-75 on the motorway is achievable. According to my on board computer I achieved that each way last year, Lincoln to Edinburgh, granted there were no delays and I only accelerated hard for a few seconds before cruising. I am doing 130 mile trip today along some motorway and dual carriageway. If there are no delays I might get the same.

Best I've ever had was 42. On a longer run I've had 41 but that was by being stuck at 50mph for most of the way.

I get 35-39mpg most days commuting to work on a 60mph single carriageway 'A' road which is very twisty and normally with a full full throttle overtakes.

And that's in a TFSI.

Been a while since I've done a brim to brim calculation but I found it pretty accurate.

Well done - certainly a lot better than I seem to get as an average on my Blackline - see below for current average  :thumbdown:  Is this the lowest for a vRS diesel I ask? 

Thanks for all the comments - seems that I did a good 'un!

Got a trip to Yorkshire & back at the end of the month, won't be miss daisy going up as I have to be their early, but coming back the following day I might as well try to beat it.... won't be in a rush, if I manage it I will post the results... 

:happy:

40mpg at 70-75 on the motorway is achievable. According to my on board computer I achieved that each way last year, Lincoln to Edinburgh,

granted there were no delays and I only accelerated hard for a few seconds before

cruising. I am doing 130 mile trip today along some motorway and dual carriageway. If there are no delays I might get the same.

Just an update. 40.9 over 140 miles sticking to 70-75 with a delay for 10 mins on A50 by Stoke for a crash with some fun driving through N Wales lovely A roads. Pretty decent. Not as good as a diesel but Given my mileage and commutre, not worth the extra expense. Oh yeah, apart from dirty cruise contacts, no problems in 5.5 years and 56K. Might put some front brake discs and pads on soon. Makes a change to write about how decent these are. 0% finance for the new VRS might sway me but it is going to have to be good to make me spend 23-25K for a privately owned car.