Paint thickness readings

Hoping someone may be able to help here.

Looking at a used Superb II, but while checking the paint using a paint thickness gauge, I noticed that the boot lid readings were a little higher than expected.

Most panels as were 105-120, but the boot lid was 170-190 indicating that out has been repaired.

Google can't help me with average readings, except one post on detailingworld saying that paint readings were 180-270 !

The car wasn't at a main dealer either, so no other Superb's to compare it to.

Might go back and take some readings again, since the boot was in direct sun light, which may have thrown the readings out.

Does anyone have a PTG and a superb ?

Most s/h cars have had some sort of work these days as most are unloved fleet cars, what you really want to do is judge the look against the rest of the car and also try to see the car at night under artificial light, if the colours still match don't worry about it, if it has had a bad knock it should be revealing signs like dents in the spare wheel tub, arch liners that don't fit properly,

It probably has been painted at some time but this can happen in the factory as well from new, the damage was probably anything from someone clumsy opening the TD without realising they had a roof that was too low to simply having scratched the paint, how old is the car btw?

Hoping someone may be able to help here.

Looking at a used Superb II, but while checking the paint using a paint thickness gauge, I noticed that the boot lid readings were a little higher than expected.

Most panels as were 105-120, but the boot lid was 170-190 indicating that out has been repaired.

Google can't help me with average readings, except one post on detailingworld saying that paint readings were 180-270 !

The car wasn't at a main dealer either, so no other Superb's to compare it to.

Might go back and take some readings again, since the boot was in direct sun light, which may have thrown the readings out.

Does anyone have a PTG and a superb ?

I have a PD8 gauge, and will take some readings off my bootlid for you this evening (since my wife has my Superb with her today, and I'm left with her Focus to do some scratch repairs)

• Like 1

Well at the. End of the day, most cars are going to have had some work done here and if it is metallic paint usually the full panel will be done to get s good match, as long as the job has been done right there is no need to worry

Well at the. End of the day, most cars are going to have had some work done here and if it is metallic paint usually the full panel will be done to get s good match, as long as the job has been done right there is no need to worry

Lets hope it's not Skippy's car eh :giggle:

• Like 1

I have a PD8 gauge, and will take some readings off my bootlid for you this evening (since my wife has my Superb with her today, and I'm left with her Focus to do some scratch repairs)

That would be great thanks :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Cant you simply take the PTG to a local dealer and check their cars for comparison?

Yes, I could, but just wondered if there was anyone out there with a PTG and a superb.

It's not because I'm lazy, just useful info....

Most s/h cars have had some sort of work these days as most are unloved fleet cars, what you really want to do is judge the look against the rest of the car and also try to see the car at night under artificial light, if the colours still match don't worry about it, if it has had a bad knock it should be revealing signs like dents in the spare wheel tub, arch liners that don't fit properly,

It probably has been painted at some time but this can happen in the factory as well from new, the damage was probably anything from someone clumsy opening the TD without realising they had a roof that was too low to simply having scratched the paint, how old is the car btw?

You make a fair point, but I've got a PTG, so may as well use it, plus I'm in no hurry to change the car, so happy to wait for a "loved" example.

• Like 1

I've done nearly 80k and have had chipsaway to re paint the left and the right of the front if the car because of stone chips....crap. He said that actually the car has been re sprayed earlier through cosmetic damaged. No rattles or squeaks been fantastic. Don't worry about it too much.

Seriously, don't worry about paint thickness. If the panel looks like it has been re painted then it probably has.

It isn't bad. I'd be more worried about the car pulling or vibrating. Don't worry about it.

I wouldn't worry about 170um. I'd say it's typical. However hypotetically - even if it was repainted such a thickness indicates nothing but only a paint. So for instance, car was scratched, and it was resprayed. Job done. No filler, etc. 

I'd start to worry if I there was ~500um. From my research and experience, second layer of paint would be ~250-300um.

Nevertheless don't forget - car could have been in a major accident and had been repaired by changing for instance doors. Well painted door may have a layer thickness similar to the one from the factory. Also cars need to be repainted at the factory. So IMHO as long as there is no filler involved, you can sleep worries free :giggle:

I'd be happy to have a paint that is slightly to thick rather than too thin.

Well, someone snapped up the car I looked at yesterday.

Was planning to take some more readings tonight when it got cooler, but it wasn't meant to be.

I did visit a dealer to check a couple of cars. Paint on those ones were far more consistent than the one yesterday with readings around 100 microns give or take 10%.

Not disappointed I missed this one. Just need to keep my eye out.

Repaired or not, someone snapped up a lovely looking car.

Seriously, don't worry about paint thickness. If the panel looks like it has been re painted then it probably has.

It isn't bad. I'd be more worried about the car pulling or vibrating. Don't worry about it.

Yes and know. I could show you cars that had been given second chance in Poland/Russia even though they were just a junk. It's quite common to do the car of 2 or 3 different ones. Say you had an accident on your driver side and it's completly gone. What would have done a handy mechanic? Cut out the front quarter, weld another one from different car, paint everything nicely, job done. And unless you measure paint thickness and have enough luck to spot the weld/filler, if the car was painted properly, your gauge will show 200-300um or sometimes less if they used new wings.

I've seen enough. I've seen my car, brand new, waiting for delivery and being damaged. When I was collecting it it was already repaired and I sign some paperwork. However there was no mention anywhere, that the car had been repaired...

second layer of paint on mine was 1500 microns :D   I think some filler was involved. ;)

OMG :wall: . I know some guys who do cars for living and they do them very well. I was told, that anything more then 500um (0.5mm) is not a good repair. 1.5mm of filler - maybe it was supposed t be bullet proof :giggle: ?

@ OP, I don't know how old or what you want to spend but I saw a 90k Elegance on an 09 on A/T today priced quite keenly.

£8950 in silver.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307037623338/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/automatic/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/colour/silver/model/superb/make/skoda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/radius/1501/postcode/dn57ut?logcode=p

And no it's nothing to do with me I used their postie to search with.

Edited by Supurbia

Sorry for delay in getting back with readings. Realise it's a bit of an irrelevance now the car has gone, but for your information, my 2012MY steel grey twin-door, which I know has not been near a bodyshop, measures between 155 and 180um at various points on the top of the boot lid, dropping to around 145 -150um along the bottom lip.

Regards

KSR

@ OP, I don't know how old or what you want to spend but I saw a 90k Elegance on an 09 on A/T today priced quite keenly.

£8950 in silver.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307037623338/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/automatic/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/colour/silver/model/superb/make/skoda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/radius/1501/postcode/dn57ut?logcode=p

And no it's nothing to do with me I used their postie to search with.

Thanks, but the miles are a tad high for me. Looking to spend a bit more and get one with less miles as I'll be adding plenty more to it.

Oh, and no DSG either, made an expensive mistake with DSG before.

Sorry for delay in getting back with readings. Realise it's a bit of an irrelevance now the car has gone, but for your information, my 2012MY steel grey twin-door, which I know has not been near a bodyshop, measures between 155 and 180um at various points on the top of the boot lid, dropping to around 145 -150um along the bottom lip.

Regards

KSR

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Readings seen a little higher than the others I checked.

I'll keep my eye out for others, the one I liked just didn't feel right to me, superb badge spacing was suspect too.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Readings seen a little higher than the others I checked.

I'll keep my eye out for others, the one I liked just didn't feel right to me, superb badge spacing was suspect too.

Looked again at your initial readings, and they seem in the same ball-park to mine. However, you weren't happy, so you walked away. Right decision! Nearly 40 years of buying cars has told me that is usually the best thing to do when you are uncertain!

Keep looking - you'll find the right car in due course.