1.2 TSI

Hoping for some reviews on the 1.2 TSI 105bhp engines as after being put off the VRS i'm thinking of either the Monte or Polo SEL which has same engine.

What are these like ti live with as a daily? reliable, economical (figures say 51mpg combined - is this right)?

What are they like on steep hills - do they pull up on the turbo or do you have to drop a gear or 2?

Are they quiet engine/ interior wise?

Wanting something VAG again after the new Swift Sport but don't want something slower

Thanks

I had a courtesy car 1.2 TSI after dropping the VRS Fabia in, I have to say it is a lively car, I had great fun with it and would probably buy one if the need was there.

Not sure about MPG as courtesy cars usually get driven like hire cars 

Had mine about 6 weeks now and I love it.

I do mainly town driving and getting low 40's so not too bad.

Performance wise, you'll be very suprised how good they actually are.

It's quite torquey for a 1.2 petrol engine although not as much as a 1.6 TDI CR, but it is quicker.

Coudn't recommend it enough and most of my previous cars have been 1.6 deisel Peugeots, great engines but nowhere near as nice or as fun to drive.

My Brother has a 1.2 TSI Seat ibiza, same as the others at 105PS, and he has ragged it a bit with me in the car, yet a he still easily got 35 mpg on many trips.

Its a good engine.

Got the 1.2 105 in my Rapid and its great, goes well and returns respectable mpg - 59.6 avg the other day on a 30 miles trip and not much less on the way back giving it some stick.

Highly recommended.

The 105 PS is cracking engine. I'd recommend you take one for a decent test drive to make sure it lives up to what you want performance wise given you'd previously looked at the VRS but as a daily car it's more than capable enough.

Pulls well up hills, took mine over Dinmore hill (reasonably steep, sorry don't know the actual gradient) outside Hereford recently and it stayed at 50mph in 5th quite happily.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Sounds a decent enough engine

I was looking at Polos and for a low mileage 2010my they go for around £10k, same mileage and money a Fabia is maybe a year newer - so is the Polo or Fabia the better buy? 

Polo - nicer interior with chrome bits, better dash, looks chunkier on the bodywork, more accessories available, 3 door available

Fabia - newer car for same money, Monte looks sporty

Any more pros or cons?

Personally I'd think the Fabia is the better buy but then I am prone to episodes of inverse snobbery :)  The Montes are fab looking cars as well, if I hadn't ruled a Fabia out due to needing a bigger boot area I may well be driving one of those around now instead of my Rapid as I loved my Mk1 Fabia.

If you're looking for pros/cons of long term ownership I'd suggest getting in to the boring nitty gritty of service intervals, current service pricing at each service stage etc and feeding it in to a calculator.

Nice engine, very lively and responsive to drive. I reckon mine regularly returns 45 mpg and that can be better or worse depending how it's driven.

Can't say how the manual drives on hills but the DSG toys with the steepest incline. I have heard some say they have felt the DSG 'hunting' on inclines but I haven't experienced that. As for the Polo, well it's a matter of choice. I like the Fabia interior, many miss the point, it's not flashy, soft or flabby, it just does the job very efficiently and all the knobs, dials and switches are in exactly the right places plus it's cheaper than the VW.

Sounds a decent enough engine

I was looking at Polos and for a low mileage 2010my they go for around £10k, same mileage and money a Fabia is maybe a year newer - so is the Polo or Fabia the better buy? 

Polo - nicer interior with chrome bits, better dash, looks chunkier on the bodywork, more accessories available, 3 door available

Fabia - newer car for same money, Monte looks sporty

Any more pros or cons?

Statistically, the Fabia is way superior in the reliability stakes with fewer warranty claims by far! (source: JD Power). In the words of Diesel Car, the Fabia has superior build quality. Those Skoda people sure know how to bake a cake!

Edited by Estate Man

I would go with the rest on the Polo v Fabia debate.

The Fabia Monte is a better looking car than the Polo and most of the swithgear is the same anyway.

Quality wise there's nothing in it so save a few quid and get the Fabia.

Still undecided as i'm leaning towards 3 doors which is why i enquired about a Polo again today - salesman was supposed to get back to me tonight but hasn't?

I've been looking at some pics on the Polo forums - nice 17" 2 tone Audi reps suit the car, H+R springs, A3 tailpipe trim, GTi grille, splitter, etc,etc - so many mods available

phoca_thumb_l_img_2565_zpse2389dd6.jpg

I owned a new 61 plate candy white Fabia 1.2 Tsi Dsg Elegance with all the bells +whistles for 18months exchanged it for a blackline Dsg. It is a cracking car certain amount of turbo lag at times when you need snappy acceleration but this can be overcome when you get used to it. Its a small car with big car comfort and i think its easily as good comfort wise as the Ocy. The only reason i swopped it was i carry a lot of fishing gear and it was,nt quite big enough, if i had bought a estate version i would have kept it. I would consider the estate if i was buying one now dont look as good but far more practical. As for power you will not need any more, but i would go for the elegance with cruise control maxi dot etc. 

I've had my 1.2tsi monte tech fir 3 weeks now. Its got 350m on the clock and I'm getting the thick end of 40mpg. It's a fun drive, I've noticed a little turbo lag but I think I can compensate for that. It pulls up the A9 Drumossie brae with ease...a deciding factor for me as it's a b@#ch of an incline.

I'm new to Skoda.. owned a Golf before and find the build quality and overall feel of the car very comparable.

At the risk of being shunned I have to say my Clio 1.2tce seemed a bit punchier and had less lag (plus had an audible sucking noise) but this may come when the engine has loosened up.

My vote goes to the Skoda

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have the DSG 1.2 combi and happy as Larry with the car. (do people still say that?) I don't even look at the MPG anymore I just put petrol in when it needs it, normally once a month. Enough said for me. (cos that's what I use to do with the diesel Panda, once a month fill it up) Costs me about the same to run but road tax is 70 quid more.

I have the DSG 1.2 combi and happy as Larry with the car. (do people still say that?)

Yeah...I do, even though I don't know this Larry! :giggle:

If you're really keen on a 3 door why not look at the SEAT Ibiza SC? Same engines available

I looked at a new Polo (last moel) last year for a friend and wasn't impressed with the build quality (pretty sure it had been thrown together in South Africa)

If you're really keen on a 3 door why not look at the SEAT Ibiza SC? Same engines available

I looked at a new Polo (last moel) last year for a friend and wasn't impressed with the build quality (pretty sure it had been thrown together in South Africa)

Had an Ibiza 2 years ago, had the bodykit fitted which looked ok but interior wise it was basic - fitted the black stick on trims, silver handles, etc but it never really had any quality feel about it.

Mine was the 1.4 and would struggle on the motorways to get to 70mph without dropping down into 4th :(

Well dealer got back to me yesterday about the grey Polo - won't come down from £9995 for a 2010 23k car which is £500+ above what it's worth retail - gutted - still looking

100_0726noplate.jpg

I have the 1.2/DSG combination in a Roomster, just coming up for it's 24 month service (covered 16k miles). All good so far. The DSG keeps the revs under 2k for normal driving and between 2 and 3k in S (sport, hills and twisty bits) mode. MPG varies between mid 30's and low 40's and can be very temperature dependent (better on warm days, not so good in the winter). Can sound like it's going to explode when reaching the redline but you get used to that.

I have the 1.2/DSG combination in a Roomster, just coming up for it's 24 month service (covered 16k miles). All good so far. The DSG keeps the revs under 2k for normal driving and between 2 and 3k in S (sport, hills and twisty bits) mode. MPG varies between mid 30's and low 40's and can be very temperature dependent (better on warm days, not so good in the winter). Can sound like it's going to explode when reaching the redline but you get used to that.

Is the Roomster a lot heavier than the Fabia then?. I recognise the RPM figures as they are exactly the same as my DSG returns but I am surprised by the low figures you are getting MPG.