Right - have been able to negotiate with the dealer and get onto the 0% finance deal which has given us a nice chunk of interest that we won't have to pay. The wife has agreed to let us spend £1k of it on extra bits for the car!! 

The spec we originally ordered was: Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDI DSG, Steel/Platin Grey & Bi-Xenon lights.

Now that we are going to spend this extra bit, we've decided to add:

- Spare Wheel £75

- KESSY £300

- Heated seats £200

(these ones we're 99.9% sold on)

but then we were looking between the adaptive cruise control or park assist which are each £450. If you were in my shoes, which one of these would you go for and why?

I was originally thinking park assist as it's a larger car and my wife isn't 100% comfortable parking such a large car but then had another think this morning and, actually, she won't be driving it all that often and when she does, it's likely to be to areas with parking lots or home to our driveway so would we actually use the auto parking function or would it just be a really expensive set of front parking sensors? I then started to consider the adaptive cruise control. I could see using this a lot.

I can't decide so I'm hoping you fine folks can give me a hand...

This is a very personal things and depends on how the car is used.

Personally Id have to have Canton audio as its brilliant vfm. Out of your two options Id have the cruise as I do a lot of long distance stuff and its a safety margin. The park assist I probably wouldnt bother with as Ive used it just a handful of times on the Yeti. :)

Adaptice cruise control is great.

Park Assist is a gimmick, if you can drive.

I have park assist on my Yeti and used it once, to see how it worked.

I'd lurve to have adaptive cruise control !!!

Multumesc!

For me, the heated windscreen just annoys me with the tiny wires in the screen. Had them on a ford focus titanium company car and they were all I kept looking at as I drove!!

Yeti & Harkonnen - I'd love the Canton but let me tell you how that conversation went last night me - I'd love to get these. They dramatically improve the sound and have noise cancelling so you don't hear the outside noise as much! wife - you already play your music too loud, why would we pay for 2 more speakers and a subwoofer so you can listen to it louder!? Me - But noise cancelling!! Wife - Moving on...

Bluetooth, voice control and rear parking sensors are standard on the elegance so getting those guys already!

Heated windshield 

Canton system

Simply Clever

Bluetooth and voice control

Rear parking sensors

These are my options not sure how much they cost.

Adaptice cruise control is great.

Park Assist is a gimmick, if you can drive.

I have park assist on my Yeti and used it once, to see how it worked.

I'd lurve to have adaptive cruise control !!!

Yea - Boss and Yeti, I would tend to agree. I was primarily thinking of them for my wife who has only really ever driven a 2003 Ford Ka so, to put it lightly, is going to take some getting used to the Octavia! Has anyone actually used the adaptive cruise control on the golf or in another car? Does it work well? What happens when you go around a bend?

Oh and we looked at sunroof and Columbus but felt like value for money would be better with these other features instead of blowing it all on one of those.

This is the thing that has me on the fence - I really would like the front sensors. I wish I could just get those without the whole park assist package! Parking in London and it's tiny ass parking spaces regularly makes these very useful.

This is the thing that has me on the fence - I really would like the front sensors. I wish I could just get those without the whole park assist package! Parking in London and it's tiny ass parking spaces regularly makes these very useful.

Yes, that's why we have it.

On the Yeti the front sensors were £350 and it was only £100 extra for Park assist so we went for it.

If it's very tight the front sesnors are handy.  Particularly for my wife who lacks my driving/parking experience.

• Like 1

Im after almost every option (yes, I kid you not) so maybe Im not the best to ask but Canton, Columbus (great combination), Panoramic sunroof (on the estate at least) and adaptive cruise are all my first group of must have options. 

At the dealer last weekend comparing the Canton setup to the standard setup...

Me - what do you reckon to the sound, generally?

My Mrs sitting in passenger seat - Nice, trebles a little harsh but way better and the bass is great. It would be nice to hear it running a DVD through the Columbus. 

I like my Mrs better than yours! :rofl:  :happy:  :giggle:

• Like 2

Im after almost every option (yes, I kid you not) so maybe Im not the best to ask but Canton, Columbus (great combination), Panoramic sunroof (on the estate at least) and adaptive cruise are all my first group of must have options. 

At the dealer last weekend comparing the Canton setut to the standard setup...

Me - what do you reckon to the sound, generally?

My Mrs sitting in passenger seat - Nice, trebles a little harsh but way better and the bass is great. It would be nice to hear it running a DVD through the Columbus. 

I like my Mrs better than yours! :rofl:  :happy:  :giggle:

Don't let that one go!!! hahaha

It was a struggle just selling her on a soundbar for the flat screen telly so this was always going to be a bridge too far. That sounds awesome. In an ideal world, I would have gone Columbus and Canton too. Loved that screen. Absolutely gorgeous. When are you ordering your car?

Don't let that one go!!! hahaha

It was a struggle just selling her on a soundbar for the flat screen telly so this was always going to be a bridge too far. That sounds awesome. In an ideal world, I would have gone Columbus and Canton too. Loved that screen. Absolutely gorgeous. When are you ordering your car?

Lol - my Mrs tried to make an arguement for full 5.1 speakers when we did the bedroom/loft conversion rather than just the Yamaha Soundbar and sub! :giggle:   Im going to wait until the VRS options have 'settled' and Ive test driven a 4x4 estate. So probably September/October time. :)

Front and rear parking sensors are great, but not park assist. It might lull the driver into a false sense of security thinking it will always park itself.

There'll be a retro fit kit for front sensors only along soon enough..,

KESSY (for me) wouldn't be on my list.

Id not call it rubbish as its worked everytime for me without fail. :)

I'm not saying its rubbish because it doesn't work, it's just the whole process takes longer than it actually does just parking the car manually. If you are on a busy street it can be quicker sometimes just parking the car yourself.

The wife has agreed for us to spend! That's hilarious lol

Keep saving and buy a Vrs :)

Looked at the VRs but I like the fuel economy figures on the 2.0 TDI DSG. This will be our main family car and we need good fuel economy.

The wife wanted to go for a Polo/Fiesta and couldn't fathom spending this much money on a car (her parents bought her the Ka and she hasn't bought one since) so it's been a 3-4 month process taking her to dealerships, test driving and quantifying everything so she could see why we were going for what we ended up choosing! She saw the light and is happy now and that's all that matters! Nothin worse than a ****ed off missus!

• Like 1

I'm not saying its rubbish because it doesn't work, it's just the whole process takes longer than it actually does just parking the car manually. If you are on a busy street it can be quicker sometimes just parking the car yourself.

This is what I was afraid of when thinking it over in my head and watching videos of it on Youtube

I'm getting pretty much the same car and spec as you.

I'm getting

kessy

Park assist

Sunroof

Bluetooth+

Mitsumi

Spare wheel

Race blue paint

Going to push for Columbus upgrade from the dealer instead of discount as have had a few cheaper quotes

This is what I was afraid of when thinking it over in my head and watching videos of it on Youtube

Park assist means you have to select the function. Then you have to drive at a relatively slow speed for the sensors on the car to measure the gap. Then you have to stop, engage reverse gear and control the accelerator and braking while the car steers you in. The problem comes because you use vehicles already parked as a reference point as to where the kerb is. Park assist uses a set geometery for steering the car, therefore if you reference against a very wide vehicle, park assist will steer you in nicely but you will be too far from the kerb. If you reference against a very narrow vehicle, park assist will steer you in nicely but you may find you hit or mount the kerb. If you drive parallel to and reference against a car parked at a jaunty angle, your car will end up at the same jaunty angle after park assist has worked it's magic. 

I have had a car with it for 2 years now, done 50,000 miles and used it twice. Pay for it if you think that you will use it more than I do !!

Park assist means you have to select the function. Then you have to drive at a relatively slow speed for the sensors on the car to measure the gap. Then you have to stop, engage reverse gear and control the accelerator and braking while the car steers you in. The problem comes because you use vehicles already parked as a reference point as to where the kerb is. Park assist uses a set geometery for steering the car, therefore if you reference against a very wide vehicle, park assist will steer you in nicely but you will be too far from the kerb. If you reference against a very narrow vehicle, park assist will steer you in nicely but you may find you hit or mount the kerb. If you drive parallel to and reference against a car parked at a jaunty angle, your car will end up at the same jaunty angle after park assist has worked it's magic. 

I have had a car with it for 2 years now, done 50,000 miles and used it twice. Pay for it if you think that you will use it more than I do !!

What if I don't use the park assist function itself, just front and rear sensors as standard parking sensors? I have a yeti with front and rear sensors and it allows me to park quickly without fear of scuffing a bumping.