Engine bay - So what am I missing?

I've added a few photos below to show the engine bay of my car how it is now and as I picked it up.

Fairly obviously I'm missing the standard airbox and have a rather manky K&N in its place. The standard kit did not come with the car. I'd like to go back to a standard setup if I can but if not I'll change the K&N.

The question is, can any eagle eyed forumeers spot anything else that would normally be there but is missing? I also have a Forge DV installed instead of the standard DV, is this a good one to have? Seems to work ok as far as I can tell.

Also has any of the air 'plumbing' so to speak been altered?

Annoyingly the thermostat has gone so its going to have that replaced tomorrow. Its not opening and as a result the top hose is hot and the bottom hose is cold off the rad. The fans do cut in but above the 90 degree mark (not that they will do anything with no water flow!). 

P1020146_zps6feff1c3.jpg

P1020149_zps70623931.jpg

P1020148_zps73f48a79.jpg

P1020147_zps96e0fb10.jpg

Yeah those split r valves suck, such a pain in the arse mate

As said swap to oem or a forge 007 or 008

I dont agree. I have a splitter valve and as long as it has the blanking cap on, turned to the correct setting, they are every bit as good as the 007

Cleaning duties will come later, important stuff first....

While I'm reading more and more its bringing to light little underlying problems that need to be sorted out. Looks to be common stuff though.

Latest one is that the fans don't come on when I turn the air conditioning on... sighs....

Could be the angle of the photo, but looks like your passenger side spring may of snapped, notice the difference between the two suspension turrets.

I think its just the photo, used the wide angle setting which does distort the edges.

The car rides perfectly and was MOT'd not so long ago. I'd have hoped that a broken spring would have been noticed though as its going to the garage tomorrow they can have a quick check.

You have the K&N intake kit, if you want to keep it all that you need to do is get a genuine cleaning kit from K&K.uk. You will no doubt have seen on the forum that oil damped air filters will damage the EGR this is absolute rubbish if the correct ammount of oil is used as per the cleaning instructions. I was a Motor vehicle Technician for over 40 years and never had or known of an EGR failing if correct cleaning is observed.  The ammount required is so small that many people over oil these filters, the Superb panel filter only uses 30ml. and you will only see a very light pink tinge this is correct.  have used K&N panel filters in all 5 of my Skoda Superbs and haved never had any problems or found any trace of oil in the EGR units, as a Technician I have always been very particular with such things.

Ideally what I wanted to do was return to a standard airbox with a K&N panel filter. I cant imagine an unprotected cone filter offers much benefit in its current application, too much hot air being sucked in.

I can buy a secondhand airbox but wanted to be sure that no other pipework/sensors etc had been messed with that will stop re-installation.

You have the K&N intake kit, if you want to keep it all that you need to do is get a genuine cleaning kit from K&K.uk. You will no doubt have seen on the forum that oil damped air filters will damage the EGR this is absolute rubbish if the correct ammount of oil is used as per the cleaning instructions. I was a Motor vehicle Technician for over 40 years and never had or known of an EGR failing if correct cleaning is observed.  The ammount required is so small that many people over oil these filters, the Superb panel filter only uses 30ml. and you will only see a very light pink tinge this is correct.  have used K&N panel filters in all 5 of my Skoda Superbs and haved never had any problems or found any trace of oil in the EGR units, as a Technician I have always been very particular with such things.

EGR? That'll be the MAF you're talking about.

Also the top mount height difference would probably a worn mount rather than a broken spring 

I've added a few photos below to show the engine bay of my car how it is now and as I picked it up.

Fairly obviously I'm missing the standard airbox and have a rather manky K&N in its place. The standard kit did not come with the car. I'd like to go back to a standard setup if I can but if not I'll change the K&N.

The question is, can any eagle eyed forumeers spot anything else that would normally be there but is missing? I also have a Forge DV installed instead of the standard DV, is this a good one to have? Seems to work ok as far as I can tell.

Also has any of the air 'plumbing' so to speak been altered?

Annoyingly the thermostat has gone so its going to have that replaced tomorrow. Its not opening and as a result the top hose is hot and the bottom hose is cold off the rad. The fans do cut in but above the 90 degree mark (not that they will do anything with no water flow!). 

P1020146_zps6feff1c3.jpg

P1020149_zps70623931.jpg

P1020148_zps73f48a79.jpg

P1020147_zps96e0fb10.jpg

Engine bay looks like it has most stuff in it buddy but hard to tell as it is so dirty   :rofl:

Also the K&N looks very dirty and apart from the fact it is bolted straight to the MAF which in these hot running 1.8T's is not best situated due to heat soak,  the state of the filter must make breathing in air difficult too.

I would certainly either give it a clean with K&N cleaning fluid and a re coat of oil spray or fit std box back.

Also no issue with a Forge DV, may need maintenance at some point to keep in good working order but the std DV work fine to. 

Then when you have fixed your running issues you could clean it up like this. :thumbup:

2013-06-25184305_zpsb2b90698.jpg

2013-06-25184241_zpsc74e8f8e.jpg

[/url]

2013-06-25184250_zps66fad581.jpg

2013-06-25184329_zps6f3a47ba.jpg

As stated think you mean MAF as these cars don't have EGR. And yep absolutely rubbish about MAF damaging. It was this scooby boys who fueled that years ago with ITG filters. 

Has anyone bought one of these at all??

Just looking to the future really at the moment, appears the good old first stage resistor has packed up on the fans so either have nothing or full speed ahead!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380680478171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

You may not need that yet as you could try a few things with yours.

First check all fan connections

Then check the fuse box on top of the battery as the green fuses(think right side one) is the aircon fans. Sometimes pulling out fuse cleaning it up and re installing gets fans working again. As aircon uses both fans you may be lucky

failing that the fan switches can go and so can the relay unit under battery  

You may not need that yet as you could try a few things with yours.

First check all fan connections

Then check the fuse box on top of the battery as the green fuses(think right side one) is the aircon fans. Sometimes pulling out fuse cleaning it up and re installing gets fans working again. As aircon uses both fans you may be lucky

failing that the fan switches can go and so can the relay unit under battery  

I've had a quick look a the fuses on top of the battery which are ok, but I havent delved too deep as yet. Once I get the car back I'll go through and remove things as you suggest and re-fit. I suspect though that the low speed resistor has packed up which seems pretty common.

I've also spotted a device called a Nime Box so will look into that too as an alternative to replacing the fans.

One of your coil packs is noticeably different to the others, which probably indicates that the car hasn't been through the recent Skoda recall.

Most of us have had 4 new coilpacks fitted FOC from Skoda, so it's worth dropping into your local dealership.

Other than that, I'd put the standard DV, airbox and filter back in. Plus get the engine cover back on to help keep the crap off the rocker cover (the cooling voids around the coil packs can fill up with all sorts).

I use this to scrub the engine http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_191162_langId_-1_categoryId_255223

Washes off with water

• Like 1

Good call about the coil packs chaps, will look into that.

Good news today though, car has new thermostat now and temp is spot on :)

Also its had a bit of a clean!! Is this better?? ;) (well its not perfect but its a good start!)

P1020150_zps4b853556.jpg

P1020151_zpseb7f78bd.jpg

P1020152_zps8142ba84.jpg

• Like 1