Oil filter socket question

I've got one of these (32mm)

31Eil7UVIoL.jpg

can I safely replace my oil filter with that?  Or do I really need to go out and get one of these

otc-6784-2.gif

Bit of a silly question, but I do not want to put myself in a position where I am stuck halfway through changing my oil...

Put a thin rag over the filter head to protect it if using the top socket in your pic. That's what I do.

Hmm, not sure if I got thin rags...  tea-towel is about as thin I would have...  I can see why you do it though, it's much easier to 'round' the corners...

As follows a 6 point socket:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310648886440?var=610184203190&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

A 12 point 32mm socket WILL do the job, be careful when initially unscrewing, as well as retightening, to the edges of cap/nut.

I don't use a torque wrench to tighten the plastic oil filter cap/nut, it a question to tighten until you cannot easily turn the oil filter cap/nut, any further.

It's better to be on the slack side on tightening, and watch for leakage of engine oil escaping from the cap/nut, and nip-up if necessary.

Good luck 'Quinten'

I just use a big adjustable - never had a problem

For the purpose of us non-mechanical minded people, a picture speaks a thousand words...  what is a big adjustable? :D

try large adjustable spanner or a stilson in ebay - it will give you the flexibility of various sizes rather than just have one option that a socket gives you -   

Good point which reminds me to ask, what do you guys use for torque-ing these (and possibly other) up correctly?  I've got a wheel torque wrench, but I assume that's a bit too 'heavy handed' for this kind of thing?

Ok, seems I am not asking the question correctly.

Does anyone have recommendations for a torque tool that I can add to my collection of tools that would be useful for torque-ing up nuts and bolts just like the oil filter cap, or sump plug, etc?

I have a torque wrench I use for my wheels, but that seems unwieldingly big for these kind of 'delicate' things...