Monte Carlo Alloy Paint Quality

Evening,

Just over the last few weeks while cleaning my car I have noticed that the paint job isn't totally dark all over on my Monte Alloys. 

For example the outside of the rim is fine and its black/metallic (whatever colour they are), but when you look inside the Alloys into the rim the paint gets lighter and more light grey. It's as if the alloys have only been sprayed from the outside and not inside the rim. 

Is everyone else's Monte Alloys like this? If needed I'll upload a picture. Don't want to be picky, just looking for other's opinions. 

Thanks,

Stu

They are all like this..The vRS ones are worse!!

Shame that Skoda have to scrimp like this.

I cant imagine VW and Audi Owners have this problem

Thanks for letting me know! It's a shame but doesn't off put me at all. 

They're truly awful

Wish I had looked into it more before ordering the VRS with the Black Gigaro wheels.

Apparently they outsource the silver wheels to a company who just spray the front faces, all seemingly to different degrees of thickness, quality and finish.  So depending on the thickness depends how much overspray you get on the inside of the rims.  On SWMBO'd VRS it seems that they've barely managed the faces.

Trust Stourbridge were absolutely useless in dealing with this issue asking me to 'pop' in (70mile round trip) for them to compare the wheels after having already done a 70mile round trip a few days before to show them the shockingly bad wheels.  I never bothered to go back as they wouldn't have done anything as they will just be comparing it to an equally bad wheel.

I would have rather saved £115 and got them powder coated myself.

• Like 1

Interesting

i wonder if skoda would allow a new buyer to spec their monte with small steel wheels and let us buy our own alloys and save a few quid on getting dodgy standard ones.

VW and Audi owners don't wash their cars, so will never know, but also, the cars cost more, so more of a point to argue on! ;-)

Seriously though, I've looked before and mine seem ok - maybe you got the Friday afternoon set?

• 2 weeks later...

Piceked up my Monte last week with whichever alloys the TECH gets and they look the same, like someones masked off the tyres and sprayed Black paint on the fronts. A bit crap to be honest but the brake dust and filth has hidden the issue. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Had our Monte Tech now for 2 weeks, (New) after reading the above I checked the wheels before we picked the car up and they looked OK.  

I have today cleaned the wheels for the first time. Using a small sponge to clean the inside of the rim the black paint came away. It looks like the inside of the wheel is only covered in overspray and on all 4 wheels you can see the grey alloy below.   :|

I have reported this to the dealer and will take in next week.  Very poor .  

I was able to return to the dealer today.

They looked at all four wheels and agreed that the inner wheel had not been fully painted.  :) 

Before they comment any further they needed to see if this was a problem with any other Monte.  After looking at a Monte in the show room and one that had just arrived, the wheels on these cars were worst than mine. I also looked at a Fabia Reaction, which also has black alloys and this was the same.

I was told that as this appeared to be the way the wheels are painted by Skoda, they could not do anything under warranty as this was how Skoda finishes the wheels.  :( 

Anyone else been given the same answer??

Black Gigaro are not silver wheels sprayed, where ever that little gem came from,

Clue being the rim edge on Black Gigaro.

Does anyone have paint coming off the front face or into the spokes on Black Gigaro or Trinity Alloys.

Or just the thin coating on the spokes and the rear of the wheel not coated ?

george

Think Silver may just be a choice of words hear George, suggest maybe those of us that said silver meant naked alloy colour underneath, or whatever the technical term for that is.

Yes thats what happens to blank wheels, they get coated, some get machined edges and coated.

Just really asking if any are losing the coating or is the worry just the thin coating.

The coating that is on the back does come off easily, if there is any reaches there,

but usually the facing coating is OK apart from the rear most edges.

The Dark Chromes are a different problem the Coating can be porous and the machined surface corrodes.

Monte Carlo Trinity wheels that were on the go in 'Silver Trinity' might well have need used up and had to go off be re-coated & become 'Black Trinity' as Skoda Planned on Selling 3000 Montes & produced 20,000 according to the CEO of Skoda.

So that would be 80,000 Black Wheels required.

george

My experience is that albeit the paint thins from front to back with nil reaching the rear of the tyre giving a 'fade' look towards the back of the spokes I have had no issue of paint peel. A minor issue that gives a small sense of disappointment when detailing the car, does anyone else but me and other owners with the same wheels notice, I might say not.

Have read the crummy experience a good number of dark chrome wheel owners have had, and I am glad that the diamond cut edge of my Gigaro's is intact with no issue.

Perspective is a good thing.

• Like 1

I have 2 sets of Black Gigaro and they are perfectly fine, even coating, but the rear is just not coated.

I have seen ones not so well coated.

Any issues if I ask why you have so many sets of wheels? Also from other threads it sounds like you have tried a whole bunch of tyres, is it related?

Our Monte's had a lifetime of tyres on and off the Trinity alloys in just a few short months, trying to resolve a constant turn to the left issue (factory Dunlop’s replaced by Pirelli’s the eventual solution).

They have not fared to well to this treatment and maybe something to take up with the dealer on the next visit. Noticed that on the very edge the dark 'granite' paintwork has scuffed very slightly in places, with the lighter base coat just starting to show through and on the inside large patches of lacquer have come away where the rims have been in contact with the tyre machine. The lacquer on the inside rim edge appears very thick and brittle; no doubt why it’s broken away. For a short term solution I've touched it in with some silver wheel touch up to protect the metal (all I had and on the inside anyway).

Think the machined edge on some Gigaro’s and the 16” black Comet alloys of European Monte’s and the Reaction is a better Idea, although personally I prefer the look and colour of the Trinity to the Gigaro.

Regard paint finish, then there’s no consistency with any of the four rims on ours; a couple appear to have little/no dark paintwork behind the spokes, whereas the other two do to varying degrees.

Oh for sk4gw, if you read this: not noticed any change in fuel consumption on the computer readings so far with switching to the Pirelli’s; still getting low 40’s on a rural run with A/C on and mid to high 40’s with A/C off.

Also at first I felt the Italian (made in Romania) tyre lacked grip compared to the Dunlop, appeared a little ‘uncertain’ in a corner and noticeably tram lined at low speed. However with use the corner issue has gone and the tram lining has reduced (release agent maybe), although they remain nosier than the previous tyres.

TP

• Like 1

The only difference & its hardly important, and easy to not notice.

it is  between running Dunlop 205/40R 17 new

or Pirelli 205/40 17 new & you need to be doing 150 miles plus and pay attention to the 'Route' reading.

All that happens is the 'Trip' & the 'Route' covered showing on Maxi Dot are 1 mile difference, then maybe by the tank of fuel being used up it is getting to read 2 miles difference between the 2.

(but the trip counts down 10ths and the 'Distance Covered' is just turning over the miles)

On the Dunlops the 2 figures are identical Trip & Distance covered & matches GPS.

*thats how bored i am sometimes, i notice silly little things like that on trips.*,

Adhering to speed limits in strict areas at night, so might as well Hypermile while doing it.

Maybe worth trying to see it True or Myth, Just zero both before doing a journey.

george