Aircon problem

I have a fl Octavia VRS and have a rather annoying problem, so I hope someone can help please.  In May the aircon was working fine, and I left the car at the airport when I went away for 2 weeks.  On returning, the aircon no longer blew cold, so I thought that it had lost gas.

Today I've had it leak checked, which was all good, and had it re-gassed as it was very low.  It held the gas no problem.

Unfortunately, the aircon still doesn't kick in and blow cold.  The technician said it may be a problem with the compressor, but didn't have time to do a check on it.

Has anybody heard of this type of problem before please, and how can it be rectified?

Thanks

Took it into the garage at my workplace today.  The guys there carried out a diagnostic check which showed no errors, but it's not working still.  Apparently the bolt in the centre of the pulley, attached to the clutch I believe, has possibly lost its threads.  They tried to tighten it but it just span. In short, they think that the clutch in the compressor has gone.

Been in touch with my warranty company, GoCar, and luckily it's covered by the warranty with them.  Hopefully going into the garage on Thursday to be rectified under warranty.

If you can turn the bolt in the centre your compressor has had it. They don't have a clutch but a failsafe device which stops the drive belt being thrown off if the compressor seizes up.

Got it refilled with gas, initially it didn't work and the guy had to manually clear the low pressure fault code before the compressor would kick in. Quite a scare followed by relief. He said the system had no gas in it whatsoever when I brought it in.

That's just happened to me.

Drove it to the garage completely empty and had it refilled... the EML light came on.. but cleared after leaving the car turned off for 2 hrs.. Lower Pressure fault..

tho, now it all works... :)

The saga continues !!  Took it in to my Warranty Co approved garage, Halfords Autocentre, to be worked on today.  This had been sorted between the 2 yesterday. Halfords phoned me this morning to say "the new compressor is here, we just need to contact the Warranty Co again to get the approval number, and then we'll crack on with it and you'll get it back this afternoon.
An hour later, Halfords phoned me to say, "the Warranty Co have told us that we can't fit the brand new boxed compressor we have here already, we have to wait for THEM to deliver one from THEIR supplier tomorrow".
Back to having my windows open again until they can get my car back in to work on it once the other compressor has been delivered!!

Kev If I was you I would take it to skoda and get it fixed with them as you'll get 

100% of the parts paid and 50% on the labour plus you'll get the job done

properly, because if you look at the TPI that I will attach you'll see that

the car needs a new compressor plus a dryer and a complete flush otherwise

the compressor will fail again.

I've had to put it in a text document so looks a bit rubbish but if you can get past the

untidiness then you can see what the procedure is and they will fix it outside of

the 3 yr warranty. 

New Text Document.txt

Edited by garytc78

Have just read this thread on the site " Air con compressor failed, Skoda won't contribute".  Looks like Skoda won't play ball if they haven't completed the full service history.  Luckily, all of mine to date have been from Skoda so I could be in with a chance.

• Like 1

Kev I guarantee they'll do it as long as your local dealer is a goodun.

I put my car in last week for a service at half 8 and picked the car up

at 2 and they'd already contacted skoda uk and got the authorisation for the offer that 

i posted earlier I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive.

Now the beauty of me still paying 50% for the labour means I get a 2 year guarantee on the part's and labour :)

Well, Skoda have now got the copy of my service history with them, the TPI ref that was advised, and they are contacting the relevant dept to see if they will repair mine.  I should hear back by Tuesday at the latest, so my Warranty Co claim is back on hold. Watch this space for updates !!

No mate.  Apparently they had to contact the main Skoda people ?? and then get back to me with a yes or no.  If it's a yes, they'll then check my car, if it's a no, it's back to the Warranty Co !!

A big THANK YOU to garytc78 is deserved.  Skoda have phoned me back this afternoon and told me that they will repair my car under their goodwill programme. As mentioned by Gary, this will be a new compressor and drier, flush through and refill.  They will pay 100% of the parts costs and 50% of the labour costs, leaving about £144 for me to pay.  That's well worth it to get a proper job and guarantee to boot. 

They've now just texted to say that i'm booked in for Monday 12th.  Happy days.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...