Thinking of abandoniny my Jap ship and moving to monte Carlo?

Hey all,

I've owned my type s gt (1.8) for about three months and already am thinking of abandoning ship back to something with a german lump! Have there been any major issues with the 1.6 tdi lump yet?

If anyone can comment on the ride quality of the fabia I'd appreciate it, as I find the civic horribly crashy and it appears to transmit every single pot hole right through to your spine! ;)

Thanks guys

You may get some replies about "sports" orientated cars being of a firm ride, so what do you expect...

I have had my Monte for 13 months, traded down from a Superb. Prior to that we had an Octavia. My wife has a company Golf. My Dad is on his second Fabia - the last on 16" wheels, this one on 15".

Of all these cars (and all cars I've ever driven), the Monte Carlo has the hardest ride. The only car I've driven which had a worse ride and bump tolerance (rebound settings or something technical) was a Carlsson SLK with about 1mm of suspension travel.

Now, day to day, for most people, the Monte will be firm (and sporty), but not crashy. However, if you regularly go over pot holes (I can't avoid all the ones I go past daily) or speed bumps (3 on the way out of my road to the main road), then the Monte does not like these. It isn't hard supsension, is is a complete lack of rebound.

If you hit a bump/hole/imperfection that any other car (all the none Fabia ones I listed above) will ride over, it smacks through a Fabia chassis like a bomb going off. Like the supsension is bottoming out.

Now, I mention my Dad's Fabias, because he thought his previous Fabia 3 was a hard ride and put it down to the wheels and lo-pro tyres (he's 61 now...). He got his current one with 15" fitted and it didn't make much difference. It's better than the Monte (40 profile 17" tyres stop nothing), but still fidgety.

An amount of this is down to size - the Fabia is a small chassis and can't ride over bumps, so my wife's Golf feels like a magic carpet after it, but equally, it's like driving a boat - no feel at all. The Monte lets you know what is underneath you, but runs out of flex in the sidewall and travel if you go over more than a 5mm imperfection.

Would I buy another - dunno. If it was right for my journeys and what I wanted (it was when I got it and my typical commute changed unexpectedly) then yeah. Would I buy something else? Probably - I want something bigger now, just because.

I have no idea if a VRS is as bad, as I've never driven one, but it has the same supsension, same wheels and just a different weight set up etc. Will it be as bad as your Type S GT (Honda Civic?) - don't know. Test drive one and try to think of where the Type S fidgets the most and take the Monte there.

HOpe that long winded ramble is helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to write that reply :) My previous car was a VW bora, so I guess interior space is similar in the Civic - not sure! I need to do some more research into economy figures of the 1.2 tsi and the 1.6 tdi as the threads on here point to the TSI being no where near as frugal as the claimed figures?

Just sold my Monte 1.6tdi 105 to buy a Civic type S 2.2 diesel . Was driving both cars for 4 weeks while I sold the Monte. You wont get a smoother ride in the Monte, if anything the Civic is slightly less ‘crashy’ over rough roads . The Monte does feel more nimble and a little go-kart like in comparison , but I am enjoying the comfort and toys in the Civic (as well as the extra performance).

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply mate I appreciate that. I looked at the 2.2 diesel but am really not keen on the Honda dealership franchise down here in Cornwall as they have been less than helpful with the current issues with my civic.

What made you change from the Monte to the Civic?

Published MPG figures are a. Pain really, as id say only a handful of people can achieve these figures. With everyone else tending to nlame a fault fro not getting them.

But the figures can be achievable but with alot of effort and thinking whilest drving.

My Monte TSI (86) managed 54.4MPG on a 25mile commute hope from work with a full tank.

But we are talking doing 50-60mph and on a busy a commute it all about trying to move from lane to lane to adviod slowing and speeding up again lol was hard work.

Typically on my commute i can get it between. 40-50mpg depending on how late i am and traffic lol

In town 35-40 mpg and if you like to play alot it will be low 30s

Tbh i didnt buy the TSI for econmy i brought as i had a diesel car for 3 years and wasnt fond of all the torque and power coming in one lump as is a characteristic of deisels . Well that and the typical tractor sound lol

I personally find VWG 1.2tsi engine very enjoyable its very eager to please and while never setting the world a light with it pace still allows to have some fun :)

This thread just shows that it is all relative and everyone's opinions vary.

I've spent a bit of time in my mums new monte TDI recently and my impression is that it's very floaty, a bit numb and it doesn't really tell you what's going on underneath. In other words its quite well insulated from the road. It does crash a bit through pot holes but nothing too severe.

But then my points of reference are my Octavia vRS and R53 Mini Cooper S.

Best advice would be take a test drive and see what you think.

• Like 1

This thread just shows that it is all relative and everyone's opinions vary.

Exactly , and I certainly wouldn't describe my Monte as 'crashy' over potholes and bumps. Yes it's firm, but the dampers and springs work well to insulate the occupants from a harsh ride. However, what I find is that the tyres tramline over rougher, uneven road surfaces and can sometimes step out of line mid corner if pressing on. Great car though! :)

It just doesn't ride bumps - it feels as though the things hits the stops.

I had it again this morning - contry road (relevant to the OPs Cornish roots?) 30mph, approaching car, both had to head to the dreaded verges, my car hit a pothole. CRASH. Fight to keep it in a straight line, not to hit the other car and fight to not swear out loud with the kids in the back, at the thought of the fell of the damage (probably nothing, but it feels bad).

Now, I could creep down that road at 15mph and stop every time I see someone approaching, but I shouldn't have to and don't need to - it just doesn't feel as if the car copes with the sudden change a pothole gives it. The same road in the Golf - I don't feel anything - the bigger wheels and chassis just deal with the inperfection.

I know this is going to happen, so I don't blame the car - I like the car - but it is unnerving.

Like I say, would a VRS be any different? I pass a VRS and another Monte on that road every day. Some days I see a drift addict in his slammed Honda S2000 (about 1mm off the floor) and most days am forced into the hedge by some clueless drivers in their Mercedes ML/Land Rover Disco/Landcruiser (take your pick, always women, always HUGE 4x4, afraid to approach the edge of the road). Yesterday I was forced to go evasive when a Citroen C5 estate, with his mirrors folded in, came around the bend at a choke point (road thins to less than two cars wide) going over 30 in a 30 limit. Now, he was either a) stupid and had forgotten to fold his mirrors out and wasn't too confident a driver or B) at maximum attack, treating that road like a rally stage and the mirror were out of harms way!

If I used the car to do my wife's commute (75 miles each way, A road and M-way), then I would never know this about my car, the economy would jump up 10 mpg (unless I increased ave. speed by 20mph...) and the mileage would be through the roof! In fact, maybe I should get her to hand back the Golf, take the Monte and I'll get a rally car... ;-)