Octavia 2 tow bars.

I've recently acquired a 2010 Octavia Elegance. I was looking at installing a tow bar so that I can carry the family bikes. On looking under the rear of my vehicle I have come across what looks like an electric socket and parts for a removable hook of a tow. I've included an image in the hope that someone can help me identify which parts I have or have not and what I need to install a tow bar to my car.

post-106227-0-15357500-1375215273_thumb.jpg

That does look like a factory fitted tow bar with flip down electric socket which is probably very similar to the Wesfalia ones.

Have a look in the fuseboard to see if there is still a fuse in the hole for the towbar (hole 13 IIRC) and try the electrics out if there is.

Also have a look under the boot carpet (with the spare wheel) as that is where the tow ball should be stored when not in use.

Sounds like you have a bit of a bonus if you weren't expecting to see one there!

Even more so if you can identify it and get a replacement tow ball.

PS: Welcome to Briskoda.

It could also be a Witter detachable swan neck type tow bar. Certainly the receptacle looks like a Witter, but it could just as easily be a Wesfalia or similar.

As KBphoto suggests, have a good look around for the hitch....it's likely to be in a bespoke zip up/draw string bag (my Witter hitch has it's own bag). It could be anywhere in the car!  

Edited by booke23

Not like my Westfalia swan neck detachable. That has a tapered vertical hole and a clip-in cover to keep things clean. That rust is a bit worrying as well.

The receptacle in the spare wheel well is designed to take the standard tow hitch.

As the others have said, you've got a towbar and electrics fitted, but your missing the detachable towball.

I have a spare detachable towball, I kept from my last Octavia.

It's a Witter. See if you can identify what make of system you have.... Although it would cost a fortune to post due to weight.

Although it would cost a fortune to post due to weight.

Couriers seem to be a lot cheaper than the Royal Mail / Post Office these days!

Been stung twice this week by silly price increases when sending stuff out.

(Sorry to go off topic)

Judging by the electrical socket plate it's not a Witter. Could be a Thule/brink bar. Somewhere on the towbar will be the type approval plate/sticker that will tell you all you need to know. However you may need to remove the bumper to find it as some manufacturers seem to put them where you can't easily seem it

It looks exactly the same as my factory fit removable tow bar, so could well be a Skoda own one. There should be a plastic cover that fits in the hole when the tow bar isn't fitted but its not the end of the world if you haven't got that. As the others have said, if the tow ball isn't in with the spare wheel then you will just need that item (probably available through your Skoda dealer). Easy to fit, though the rust looks a little concerning, so you may want to try to get rid of that/add some WD40 before attempting to fit the towball.

This is exactly like my Witter fitted 18 months ago and yes there is a plastic cover which fits over the end to keep to keep the muck out. The electics swing down for use . I can mail a photo of the detachable towball and towbar if you like . Its an excellent setup and when the towball is removed and electics pushed up behind bumper, there is nothing to see. I think that a towball spoils the look of the car and looks great without it. My car is also an Octy Elegance. You can get the towball from any Witter dealer and I got mine from a dealer in Manchester by courier. 

Its definitely not a Witter the socket plate is wrong! Witter don't use that shape bracket and no spring. 

I'm gonna guess at it being a Bosal after looking closely but you need to find out for sure as although most makes use a similar type of neck, it may not fit and also the type approval will only be valid with the correct neck. even the correct neck might take some work to get it to fit due to the amount of visible rust.

Witter? Westfalia? Bosal?

Think its probably best if you go to a decent towbar fitter near you and ask if they know what fits and if you can try some.

It looks exactly the same as my factory fit removable tow bar, so could well be a Skoda own one. There should be a plastic cover that fits in the hole when the tow bar isn't fitted but its not the end of the world if you haven't got that. As the others have said, if the tow ball isn't in with the spare wheel then you will just need that item (probably available through your Skoda dealer). Easy to fit, though the rust looks a little concerning, so you may want to try to get rid of that/add some WD40 before attempting to fit the towball.

I didn't think there was a factory fit option. There certainly wasn't when I ordered mine. The Skoda part number translated to a Westfalia tow bar, and it's the detachable version that I fitted to mine.

If it's the one for your A4, then the B7 version used an AL-KO detachable factory fit tow bar. Don't know if that continued with the B8. From what I remember, it doesn't look like the B7 AL-KO though.

Witter? Westfalia? Bosal?

Think its probably best if you go to a decent towbar fitter near you and ask if they know what fits and if you can try some.

Agreed.....or get underneath it with a torch and try to find a name. 

Looking around Skodateile.com tonight and i see they have this bar on there. they have a pic of the label and its Czech company that make the bar, so looks like neck will be a skoda only part(if they sell it separately) http://skodateile.cz/index.php?pg=product∏=273&menu=%C5%A0koda|Octavia%20II(A5)|Ta%C5%BEn%C3%A9%20za%C5%99izen%C3%AD&img_b=IMG_1025_1.JPG&album_adr=/album&album_start=4

I think EEA 600 001 is the Skoda part number of the full towbar kit.

Might be time to visit your dealer and ask them if the towball can be bought separately.

• 10 months later...