Turn Indicators - Fault?

Brijo

Sometime during the first few days of ownership (i.e. around 10-11 months ago), the Yeti's indicators apparently had a fit - they lost the central 'off' position, and would only go directly from left to right and back to left.  I have no idea, now, how I resolved it, but for a few minutes it must have been very distracting for following traffic to have an idiot in front  :think: who apparently couldn't make up his mind! 

I'd forgotten all about it until m'lady told me a couple of days ago that she hadn't been able to cancel the indicators.  Eventually, as best she could remember, they had corrected when she 'pushed the stalk away' (but she had understandably been in a bit of a panic, I think). 

I have RTFM (and done a search here) just in case there's any special mode we'd not spotted - nothing I could see.  First service is due soon and I'll mention the problem, of course, but has anyone else experienced this?

Just checked all kind of combinations with the stalk (main beam on, AUTO, etc...) together with indicators on / off positions. There is always a middle "indicators off" position. Couldn't get a situation without the middle position. So I'm afraid your stalk might be faulty from production, and the fault appears randomly. I suggest you get it checked at the service. 

Is it possible that you inadvertently moved the indicator stalk setting off the so-called convenience turn signal where the indicators flash 3 - or possibly up to 5 - times? If you try and cancel that automatic operation by moving the stalk in the opposite direction, you get the same sequence again from the opposite indicators. The only way to stop this is to leave the stalk alone until the indicators stop. This feature REALLY annoys me but cannot be disabled on my FL Octavia II.

• Like 1

...indicators apparently had a fit - they lost the central 'off' position, and would only go directly from left to right and back to left...

Please clarify: Is it a physical thing you experience while moving the stalk ?

If so, I suspect there is a mechanical fault inside the stalk mechanism, that appears only in a certain circumstance. Possibly something with the link between the stalk and the steering wheel - that device which turns off the indicators after cornering / turning back the steering wheel. Just my thought.   

... I suspect there is a mechanical fault ...

Likely.  I've checked the 'convenience' settings and the 'courtesy flash' is not ticked.  As this has happened only twice in a year I suspect it's not going to show on the computer - that's life, but I'll make sure it's logged in case it becomes chronic. 

Thanks for all offerings, anyway!  :hi: