Dsg or Timing Chain Or ?

kibby

Having what can only be described as a short 1 second soft "grurr / brurrr" sound from the front end intermittently mainly when taking off from start or from slow speed (overtaking from slow moving traffic).

Doesn't sound metallic/tinny in nature but could be wrong.

Also likely to occur when taking off from a 'T' junction from stop and turning sharply left or right. Noticed over the last 6 months and maybe getting slightly worse but not enough for me to be rushing down to Dealer.

Dealer twice found no fault but only done a mile up the road and no fault found on diagnostics or what ever they use to check so they can't/won't do anything to resolve unless it can be demonstrated.!!

Very unpredictable....can go for quite a while with no problem and then twice in less than a mile. On last trip of mixed B roads/dual carriageway

happened 5 times.

Any idea's what to suggest to dealer as unlikely to show up on a short test(s*d's law). Persuading them to do an extended drive unlikely to happen.

Should I be worried?

1.2 TSI DSG nearly 3 years old (Warranty about to run out and may keep for another year). Don't want a £X000's bill or unnecessarily take out an extended warranty.

Advice appreciated. Don't you just love intermittent faults!!

Is it a Disc/Brake problem possibly.

Do your discs have a build up of corrosion, & have the pads been checked for how much wear on them.

How many miles has the car done?

If the Warranty is going out, i take it its coming up for its first MOT,

best get it in 1 month early to an independent MOT station rather than done via the Dealer and get your pass, Brake Efficiency will be tested, Wheels/bearings given a waggle etc

and maybe an Advisory or 3 given.

Then after that, persist with the Dealership or contact Skoda UK until any possible Warranty issue is dealt with properly.

george

Thanks... Car has done 26k miles and problem occurred and reported for 24 month service (2nd annual service) and previously at around 16-18k miles ...it still happens after 2nd service another 2k mile on. Not noticed it ever happening on braking ...it's  always on pulling away from stop or overtaking from slow speeds. Just replaced front tyres and not had any problem report from those that always suggest otherwise (tyre outfit's)

Has had the turbo shim/software update after a major incident with no response from accelerator when overtaking with cured that problem (lots of honking horns).

I have asked for problem to be recorded at dealers (twice) but can only assume they have done it.

Edited by kibby

Just to be sure, best get a call into Skoda UK Customer Services and an Email.

Let them get a call back to you once you have a 'hanler' dealing with you.

Let them know of the on going concern and the possible Warranty item not dealt with 'yet'.

george

A number to ring , person to speak to / department ??

Running until it breaks and asking for a free engine/DSG box out of warranty seems a risky strategy.

The thing in the back of mind is it is not getting much worse over the last approx. 8000 miles so am

being overly concerned as the Dealer is clearly not.

Could just get rid of it and pass the problem on but now planning to replace late 2014/early 2015 not

necessarily with a Yeti. (New Honda (smaller than CRV) SUV coming up that looks tasty).

Very pleased with what the Yeti offers as a package but unimpressed with niggling issues had to cope

with.  Bolero and this issue remain unresolved together with new item of jammed air vent.

Edited by kibby

I have asked for problem to be recorded at dealers (twice) but can only assume they have done it.

Getting them to record the fault is one thing.  Getting them to accept that the recorded fault and future £000's bill are connected is a completely different matter!

Not quite.

Almost always happens after being driven some way (can be a few miles). Last 2 journeys happened

5 times in 140 miles and not once in 190 miles although 65% motorway.

Happens mainly when taking off from a junction and turning, or pulling out to overtake slow moving traffic. Generally in the 15- 35 m.p.h. speed range. A bit of a "brurr" / shuddering noise for about a second or so then it goes away. Have tried to see if using quicker than normal acceleration

causes it to happen/happen more with no success.

Never happens on fairly constant speed motoring or high speed or when braking. Feels like the DSG box has got it wrong and trying to make an instant correction. Appears to be happening when the DSG is going through the gears from relatively slow speed.

It's random and unpredictable and very difficult to replicate by trying to do the same type of driving when it should happen which is so annoying.

Will get the dealer to do a longer drive.

Skoda have told me they will view the problem "sympathetically" if a fault shows up out of warranty

treating the case on it's merits which is all you can hope for I expect but may still leave me with a large bill if it is a major problem.

Having what can only be described as a short 1 second soft "grurr / brurrr" sound from the front end intermittently mainly when taking off from start or from slow speed (overtaking from slow moving traffic). Doesn't sound metallic/tinny in nature but could be wrong. Also likely to occur when taking off from a 'T' junction from stop and turning sharply left or right. Noticed over the last 6 months and maybe getting slightly worse but not enough for me to be rushing down to Dealer. Dealer twice found no fault but only done a mile up the road and no fault found on diagnostics or what ever they use to check so they can't/won't do anything to resolve unless it can be demonstrated.!! Very unpredictable....can go for quite a while with no problem and then twice in less than a mile. On last trip of mixed B roads/dual carriageway happened 5 times. Any idea's what to suggest to dealer as unlikely to show up on a short test(s*d's law). Persuading them to do an extended drive unlikely to happen. Should I be worried? 1.2 TSI DSG nearly 3 years old (Warranty about to run out and may keep for another year). Don't want a £X000's bill or unnecessarily take out an extended warranty. Advice appreciated. Don't you just love intermittent faults!!

One of the reasons I decided on a change to an 'ordinary torque converter box with the BMW Td4 engine.

I hope it was a wise choice.

Could this be a rattle from the waste gate actuator rod?  It's a known issue on TSI engines (although not a cause for concern).

Apparently it can be fixed with a clip/weight which attaches to the rod and stops the "rattle". (P/N 06J145220A)

EDIT: On second thoughts this may be only for the VW 2.0T, but I'm continuing to look into it.

I had both timing chain and dsg problems. The dsg used to shudder when changing from 2nd to 3rd only randomly however usually when it had been driven round the city a bit and was warm, this was hard for the garage to diagnose. The timing chain used to rattle noticeably on start up for a minute or so then quieten down a bit as the engine warmed up. Timing chain eventually failed just before the warranty ended luckily as it needed a rebuild after. They did the dsg at the same time. Funnily enough before the rebuild I used to use oil but since I haven't had to top up in 11000 miles and my mpg is a bit better. My advice get the timing chain checked asap

SWMBO's Yeti 1.2tsi developed a rattle on start up that gradually grew worse. Once the engine was warm it cleared. Sounded like adiesel it was so bad. Garage agreed. and timing belt replaced just before warranty expired at approx 25k miles. By the time it was done even the garage couldn't miss it!

I had both timing chain and dsg problems. The dsg used to shudder when changing from 2nd to 3rd only randomly however usually when it had been driven round the city a bit and was warm, this was hard for the garage to diagnose. The timing chain used to rattle noticeably on start up for a minute or so then quieten down a bit as the engine warmed up. Timing chain eventually failed just before the warranty ended luckily as it needed a rebuild after. They did the dsg at the same time. Funnily enough before the rebuild I used to use oil but since I haven't had to top up in 11000 miles and my mpg is a bit better. My advice get the timing chain checked asap

What was the problem with the DSG? How did they fix it?