Citigo Whistle

Taylor93

As not all Citigo owners are Freedom members, I thought i would ask this here too:

So heres the Symptoms:

- A loud whistle coming from the front/Top of the engine bay which disappears from 1500 rpm upwards

- only does it when its up to temperature, I started off being intermittent only every so often at temperature, now it does it all the time its at 90 degrees

Now this is loud enough to hear it over other cars etc.

To me it seems like an Air leak on the intake side so when the throttle body is at its "idle" position, the vacuum pressure in the intake is great enough to break a seal/gasket when the throttle is opened the drop in vacuum drops and is no longer strong enough to break the seal. But the car is only at 8400 miles.

I have tried attacked a few areas with the engine running with Carb cleaner and i have not heard any change in engine note or revs.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

So does anyone else have this sort of sound?

Crikey, that is quite a pronounced whistle fella!

I'm afraid I cant help you diagnose what it is... mine doesn't have that yet as its only done 500 miles, but I hope someone with some technical knowledge can help you figure out what it is and put an end to it

Best of luck mate

Cheers

Damo

I'd ask them to show me another car with the same engine

running to prove that characteristic then.

How can you tell when a dealership employee is telling you what you want to hear

whilst simultaneously avoiding responsibility??

His lips are moving....

Has it always done it from new?

The only other thing I can think of was the throttle body looked pretty gummed up inside the manifold, so could it be injectors?

I have always used standard shell petrol but that said its probably not much better than any other petrol as its not the high octane

That sounds like an air leak to me, don't let the dealer fob you off. 

To answer your other question, It's not the injectors, they make a ticking noise.

From the video it appears to be above the gearbox where I can see a hard plastic pipe which appears to be attached to a valve, an educated guess is that this pipe is the vacuum supply to the brake servo. You say it vanishes above 1500rpm, this ties in nicely as the manifold pressure is at it's least with the throttle closed either at idle or on over-run.

So I just got back from the dealer, it is now booked in for the 27th for them to have a look as ill need s courtesy car (soonest there was one free)

The mechanic was confused by it as he couldn't work out where it was coming from hence the need for further investigation.

The service guy started up another citigo and claimed the sound was there too . I couldn't hear it but the mevhanic said he could hear ot too albeit A LOT quieter!

• 2 weeks later...

Well they agree that it is unusually loud so that's why it's booked in. Just have to wait and see on the 27th

Go onto youtube and put 'vw up engine noise' into the search engine- theres a clip there you will find interesting.