What annoyed you about your tech today?

KenONeill

Like the popular "What annoyed you when you were driving?" topic, but for tech, including operating systems and software.

I'll start with Mickeyshaft telling me that "my file may be unsafe because its format was different to that specified in the extension". There are several issues with this argument:-

1. Said file doesn't actually have an extension. Accordingly, you can't know that it's not a particular type of file.
  2. It's plain ASCII text; no danger to anyone or anything unless it's also program source or an A Mess DOS script and you're loading it into an interpreter, compiler, or DOS shell.
  3. If file extensions are so important, why are they hidden by default?
Edited by KenONeill

The fact that I am at work, an international company with way over 10k employees and I am still using WINDOWS NT and Microsoft Word '97 PLUS IE6 which means I have to turn JS off to make it run at any decent speed.... I have to keep switching it on and off depending on what the site is ARRGH!!!!

Bloody stupid printer that will not print in black only ................................

as although I have a full black cartridge two of the colour cartridges are empty so it refuses to do anything until I replace those!!!........... :wall: ................ :@

A bug in third party software that meant all users of said software got a pop up telling them the date/time is wrong. Not so bad, except for the 23 phone calls and 37 emails all telling me they had the same problem...

The fact that I am at work, an international company with way over 10k employees and I am still using WINDOWS NT and Microsoft Word '97 PLUS IE6 which means I have to turn JS off to make it run at any decent speed.... I have to keep switching it on and off depending on what the site is ARRGH!!!!

A company well known for make stuff that carries shooty things perchance?

The new Windows 8 PC that landed on my desk at work.  Windows 8 - why, just why?

According to my company's resident Mickeyshaft fanboi, "If you don't like W8 it's because you're a bad user, and not because it was designed for soutch screens rather than WIMPS".

In A Mess DOS, "move file(s) $location" only works if the file name doesn't exist in the new location.

In Windoze File Mangler, you can only move drag and drop files singly if the file names exist in the new location!

I work with a lot of high tech kit but write with a fountain pen and have a mechanical watch.

I find a lot of IT guys don't really like a lot of the new technology developments because they're all made to stop you tinkering with them.

• Like 1

I work with a lot of high tech kit but write with a fountain pen and have a mechanical watch.

I find a lot of IT guys don't really like a lot of the new technology developments because they're all made to stop you tinkering with them.

Yep. Nothing beats good old tek....It took me enough years to get a smartphone and now i barely use half the functions, my laptop is a 4 year old machine with an ssd to make it work a tad faster and so on....

My 'smart phone' has 4 apps that I've put on. One is a task killer,  a file browser, wifi scanner and Kindle. If I could be bothered to get it rooted I'd remove the rest of the crap put on there by Samsung.

My laptop is 7yr old and runs a 60Gb SSD. Faster than SWMBOs i5 and it has a proper keyboard and a square screen so I can type and work on it faster than she can on her new Dell too.