New 110LS owner

Skomatt

Regarding "getting more paint", one of my local coachbuilders will do mix and match to order in the sort of quantities you'll likely need for a respray from either a factory paint code or (a panel from) the vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been quiet for a couple of weeks but only because of being busy assisting my welding Guru with the metalwork on the S110.

I've taken lots of photos and will hopefully put them into some sort of order with the progress so far. I'm still awaiting the arrival of a new L/H outer sill to arrive (should be Monday!) so that side is not yet quite complete but progress is going well....

Lets start with the first cut................

IMAG0006.jpg

Now the R/H front floor, sill and inner wheelarch area:

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

Now the L/H front floor and inner sill area:

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

This side will be completed once the the new sill arrives!

Now the front inner wing tops:

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0044_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

All have since been seam welded so, when the L/H/F sill is complete, then it's time to clean up, treat and Schutz the front end and then start at the rear where only the sill end repairs are needed. This will then conclude the welding!!

Have now also acquired 3 x NOS doors, replacement wings, rear panel and front bonnet. Not all were really needed but I only plan to do this once.

Have also had the Skoda Museum confirm colour code and my local supplier can mix in Max Meyer.

Will update again soon............

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Long overdue update.

Managed to spend a few more hours on the S110 and now have the front end totally welded up, sealed, seam sealed and coated in a corrosion inhibitor.

Just waiting for it to get a bit warmer to give the front end a good dosing of 3M schutz and then I'm ready for the beam to go back on (once I finish overhauling it!)

Here's some photo's of the work. The 'purple' does indeed dry black but will also be covered by the schutz.

Firstly, the completion of the LH front sill area:

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

And now the RH front area:

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

Above the beam:

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

When not working on the car directly, I've also been very busy overhauling the front beam. Got new kingpins, front wheel bearings, lower kingpin housings with new camber insert, front brake discs and all the rubber bushes to replace in the suspension arms. My wire brush has been doing overtime to clean everything up ready to paint before reassembly.

I also cleaned up and replaced a leaking seal and gasket on the steering box. It's been refilled up hung up for a week with no drips whatsoever so couldn't resist giving that a clean too!

IMAG0148.jpg

And lastly, I finally got round to renewing the brake pipes on the front brake calipers that I had already overhauled:

IMAG0152.jpg

Will update again soon, I've also got quite a few questions on the correct reassembly procedure when fitting the top and bottom arms back on with their new bushes.

Cheers

Matt

:happy: This is a brilliant thread.

Hi Dave, thanks for the comments, glad you're enjoying it, I was hoping I wasn't boring anyone!

Wow, I wish I had your skills!

I can't take all the credit myself I'm afraid. My mate is the main welding guru, I'm the mechanical expert and money pot.

Matt

• Like 1

Just a few more photo's to show the progress.

The front end is now fully undersealed and awaiting the beam to be reassembled and be put back on. This will then let me tilt the car in the opposite direction and do the rear end welding and overhaul. I have also cleaned and coated the front half of the floor and it all looks lovely yet black.......

As you will see from the photos, I have thoroughly wire brushed and treated the beam and fuel tank (which was actually like new!) and I have also done the same to the brand new front strengthener. I have also too the decision to coat these in 3M Schutz as their top coat to give them the best protection possible for longevity.

Anyway, a few photos:

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Hopefully a bit more work on the car today but then away for 10 days so not much will happen for a couple of weeks.

Matt

• Like 1

It looks great! Brings back a lot of memories for me too as when I was a kid the the farmer's wife who rented us our holiday cottage on Dartmoor had one of these: same colour and everything. It was a lovely little car from what I remember. Glad that people are saving and doing up these little gems :)

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon. Managed to find a bit of time to update the thread with the latest progress.

Since last time, the front beam has been reassembled with new king pins, new lower castor components, new front wheel bearings, new brake discs, new steering column knuckle rubber and brand new strengthening panel and has been refitted to the car.

The car is now also sporting a pair of front wheels (albeit VW Beetle whilst I am renovating the original) so I can tilt it in the opposite direction and start the rear end.

The engine has also now been removed and is sitting in my garage at home awaiting an overhaul.

As always though, a few photo's of the work completed:

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

Update again soon when the rear end & engine are started

Matt

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all

Sorry for being quiet about progress recently but been busy with work work.

Anyway, progress is still being made and will upload some new rather exciting photos in the next few days..............................

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Ok, as promised more photo's of my progress.

Fitting in around Easter decorating, I've managed to get 4 full days on panel preparation ready for the respray.

I'd managed to collect a fair few NOS panels, as well as a couple of 'off the shelf new', and decided that the only way forward was BARE METAL :rock:  Not all new panels were needed as some were still really good. However, I'm only planning to do this once so have gone with new stuff where possible.

Now armed with my trusty wire brush and newly purchased DA, I set about prepping. Lots of patience was needed but, as most panels were still in primer only with a bit of surface rust, they didn't take too long. One panel though almost broke me with its refusal to give up its old paint. All I can say is I'm glad I din't do that panel first else I may have given up!!!

Now the pictures...................................

The collection (having already attacked the bonnet outside and one door outer)

IMAG0440.jpg

Rear doors

IMAG0441.jpg

Front bonnet

IMAG0442.jpg

Inside bonnet

ZOE_0007.jpg

Rear wings (after 10 mins on one)

IMAG0443.jpg

Primed bonnet

IMAG0451.jpg

Front panel

IMAG0444.jpg

Front wing

IMAG0457.jpg

Rear wing again

IMAG0459.jpg

Other side

IMAG0463.jpg

Inside a wing

IMAG0456.jpg

Rear door

IMAG0465.jpg

Primed rear door (this was needed due to mine having a big V in it!)

IMAG0452.jpg

Inside of door (not yet primed)

IMAG0460.jpg

Rear bonnet - the stubborn one!

IMAG0467.jpg

The bare metal collection

IMAG0469.jpg

Some mechanical progress has been made too as the engine is currently fully stripped down in my garage being 'scrubbed' and reconditioned. I'll take some photos of this shortly now it's nearly clean as I didn't want my camera anywhere near the engine whilst removing 40 years of crud!!

I'm now out of action for a few weeks with a small operation. Hopefully by then, all panels will be in primer and can then make small repairs on the panels where needed. Then it's attack the body shell outer!!

Matt

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, another update and a major milestone achieved.

Firstly, Rob, a DA is a dual action orbital sander. It's dual action is designed not to leave swirl marks in the panels.

Secondly - THE WELDING IS FINISHED!!

Yes, my friend and I hit the car for 6 hours yesterday and managed to start and complete the entirety of the rear end welding. This comprised of the inner rear wheel arches where they meet the sill (on both sides) and adjacent to the rear suspension spring turret.

During the repair, we also discovered the home of a former habitant of the O/S/R inner sill, complete with the left overs of quite a few meals!

As always, some pictures:

The start of the R/H/R sill

IMAG0514.jpg

After a lot of cleaning out, we discovered these inside the sill

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

IMAG0519.jpg

This is all the old newspaper all shredded to make the nest

IMAG0515.jpg

Back to the welding

IMAG0521.jpg

IMAG0522.jpg

IMAG0524.jpg

IMAG0525.jpg

IMAG0543.jpg

R/H/R spring area. This is double skinned so we first removed a larger section of the outer skin to allow us to cut out the rotten inner section, shape and repair

IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

IMAG0534.jpg

IMAG0536.jpg

IMAG0542.jpg

Now the L/H/R spring area

IMAG0539.jpg

Forgot to teak a photo of the inner cut out but you can just about see the new inner metal welded onto place

IMAG0541.jpg

IMAG0546.jpg

IMAG0554.jpg

The L/H/R sill area next

IMAG0548.jpg

IMAG0549.jpg

IMAG0550.jpg

IMAG0552.jpg

I also stripped, inspected and measured the crankshaft this weekend. The great news is that there is no marking on the crank whatsoever and, after measuring, it still measures exactly the same as it left the factory. A full set of shell for both the big ends and main bearings will be going in. The liner bores are also perfect with no lipping and are, again, still the same size they left the factory. A new set of piston rings will also be fitted.

Nothing again now until next weekend at the earliest when I will also hopefully have some photos of the engine repair.

Edited by Skomatt
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, a very busy week on the Skoda has just passed including two full days this weekend.

Last Sunday saw the last of the welding finished off. Knowing I wanted to build the rear end back up, I went down again after work on Monday to Schutz in the rear suspension chassis channels (and any other bare metal area) having thoroughly cleaned and coated with rust treatment last thing on Sunday.

IMAG0565.jpg

IMAG0569.jpg

IMAG0570.jpg

After Schutzing (which I forgot to take some photo's off), I spent the rest of my evenings cleaning, treating and painting the trailing arms, half shaft tubes, rear springs and associated parts, Again, sorry there are no before photos as time was tight and I think we can all use our imagination what 40 year old metal suspension parts would look like before treatment.

The good news is, here are some after photos complete with new damper and trailing arm bush:

IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0589.jpg

Yesterday saw me first remove the gearbox for cleaning and to replace the mountings. This was extremely dirty and took a fair bit of cleaning (all done by hand too!!)

IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0578.jpg

IMAG0579.jpg

IMAG0580.jpg

Once clean, new mountings were fitted along with a new selector gaiter and the gearbox was put back in the car. I then went to refit the half shafts and tubes only to find the NS outer threads to be well, missing. When originally stripping some months ago, the nut came off really easy and I never get it a second thought. I have started wearing glasses since then though too!!!

Anyway, a few texts later I thought I had located a replacement only 5 miles away. Quick trip there this morning to collect only to find the replacement shaft is 30mm too long.

As the car had to be mobile by the end of today, I had no option other than to forge forwards fitting the damaged shaft temporarily while I source another. The good news is that the nut did full tighten back up anyway so the wheel could go on.

So started to refit the rear suspension, a few photo's along the way:

IMAG0584.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0582.jpg

The newly painted back plates where then fitted back on along with new wheel cylinders, brake shoes and handbrake cables. Forgot to clean and paint the drums but gave them a quick whiz over with the wire bruch for now, popped them back on and tightened up the nut temporarily.

IMAG0591.jpg

I then popped the wheels back on only to find 1 x wheel nut no longer wanting to play ball so another item for the shopping list.

Anyway, for the first time in a long time, there a four wheels on my wagon and it now rests on them fully welded ready to be trailered to the paint shop later this week:

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0597.jpg

So, if anyone has a 670mm long half shaft or a spare wheel nut, please do get in touch!!

Engine to rebuild in my garage at home now and hopefully the respray starts in a few weeks time.

I'll update as always soon.

Matt

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, a good 3 weeks since my last post but plenty has been going on ish.

Firstly, the Skoda was transported from where it had been welded to my mate's unit who is doing the spraying. It was the fastest it had travelled for some considerable time.

IMAG0600.jpg

IMAG0601.jpg

Upon arrival, I then have to continue removing the old paint from the main body which was hindered by my new DA failing. However, 3 weeks later a replacement has finally arrived. In the meantime though, I have been using my mate's instead.

First job was to get the front and rear screens out which was successfully completed without breaking either. However, front screen has some delamination issues, anyone please got a spare for sale?

Next main job was to remove the bad respray and original paint from the roof and scuttle areas. Only managing to get up one day par weekend so far, I hit the roof last weekend:

IMAG0615.jpg

IMAG0616.jpg

IMAG0618.jpg

IMAG0620.jpg

Today it hit the front and rear scuttle panels and then we did a mock up with the new panels to checked they fit ok. It was really great to see it looking like a car again. You'll also see where I've removed the paint from around the screens too:

IMAG0622.jpg

IMAG0624.jpg

IMAG0625.jpg

IMAG0627.jpg

IMAG0628.jpg

IMAG0629.jpg

IMAG0630.jpg

IMAG0633.jpg

IMAG0634.jpg

IMAG0637.jpg

Really really pleased with how it is progressing. I'm away at Le TDF next weekend so won't be back up for a few weeks now but my mate says he will carry on between his other jobs and get it in primer soon.

Update again soon and, if anyone does have a spare windscreen, please do get in touch!

Matt

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well, along time since I posted and work has been continuing in earnest.

The engine has been fully stripped to a bare crankcase, cleaned to within an inch of its life and rebuilt with lots of new parts including:

Main bearing journal regrind (0.25mm as rear journal had a slight mark on it), big end journals polished (still spot on for size)

New main bearings

New big end bearings

Cylinders deglazed and full set of new piston rings

New timing chain and sprockets

All new gaskets and seals

Anything aluminium cleaned to a shine

Anything steel, blasted and painted

Not yet had it running but, visually, it looks superb. Not quite back together yet, still awaiting arrival of some gaskets that came wrong. Pictures of engine to follow too.

However, to keep you all in suspense, the top coat of its respray went on this week. A few photos just to tease...............

20140904_220839.jpg

20140904_220658.jpg

20140904_220629.jpg

20140904_220616.jpg

20140904_220542-1.jpg

I love the colour and matched 100% to original factory colour code!!

All being well, start the fit up on Sunday. Can't wait!!!

• Like 2