Superb, Octavia 3 or Audi A6?

There is only one thing that puts me off the Greenline - the tiny 16" alloys.

I know they are there to achieve the fuel economy and will no doubt provide a nicer ride than the 18's but they just don't suit the car IMO.

Remember the Superb is quite a hefty car so I'd drive a 1.6 TDi first.

Other than that - great choice!

1.6 has 16" wheels vs 18" wheels on the 2.0. Only you can decide whether you like them or loathe them - it's another one of those marmite topics on this forum that will incite civil unrest.

Silver beat me to it :)

Edited by JakeBlade

The JD Power Survey uses completed surveys to establish the ranking, the very fact that the A6 is included means that (a minimum of 50) owners have completed the survey.

I don't understand the 'an Audi driver is less likely to fill in the survey than a Skoda driver' claim. I'd fill in the survey whether I drove an Audi or Skoda (I too looked at the A6 before buying the Superb). There are too many variables to make a such a sweeping comment.

I agree all survey results should be taken with a pinch of salt but the huge variation between the A6 and the Superb can't be ignored.

I decided against the A6 as like for like the Superb was much better specced and in my eyes better value for money.

AGREE but is it not better to look at other surveys like:-

1. Warranty companies who disclose full lists of all cars older than 3 years

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2013-07/big-surprises-in-uks-most-accurate-car-reliability-survey/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9815860/German-cars-lose-out-in-reliability-survey.html

or

2 . rather than owners filing in forms  or not for audi i used the ADAC website europes largest breakdown company i think who have a database of 2.6 million actual breakdowns. First link is a report. Second link allows you to check and compare every make and model so allows you to check vw v skoda    skoda v audi etc

gives a different real world list IMO than JD survey for comparing makes.

http://www.economybookings.com/news-archive/most-reliable-cars-are-announced-germany

http://www.anusedcar.com/

There is only one thing that puts me off the Greenline - the tiny 16" alloys.

I know they are there to achieve the fuel economy and will no doubt provide a nicer ride than the 18's but they just don't suit the car IMO.

Remember the Superb is quite a hefty car so I'd drive a 1.6 TDi first.

Other than that - great choice!

Reference the 16" wheels on the greenline why not keep the 16" wheels and fit a set of winter tyres on them and pick up a set of 17" or 18" alloys on ebay for the summer!!!!

Many thanks for all the feedback.

The PCP for the Superb Greenline is about 70 per month higher than the Octavia quote. Octavia better on final value lowering the monthly.

It's a strange one with the PCP.

Another one I like - Used Superb Elegance170 DSG 9k miles  at £19500 - £320 per month 3 years or new Superb above 370per month 0%.

The final value is almost the same at 8k. How can the second hand which has already lost 10k have a similar value to the new Greenline over the same period? Is it more to do with the interest on the used ?

Any discounts on the Superb 0% deal is that asking too much?

I looked at a number of A6 3.0 tdis, new shape, both Quattro and FWD, before buying my Superb; what struck me most, coming from a Subaru Legacy diesel, was how dull they were to drive. They drove really well, but without putting a grin on your face. I also found the experience of dealing with Audi sales on the whole a very negative experience, unlike Skoda. So, I was out to buy a large ,practical family car, and the Superb won out on every front for me, especially size and price, but neither were what I would term exciting to drive.

After a few test drives of the Superb and Octavia I found I kept knocking my knee on the centre console.

Gutted as I was ready to order the Superb Greenline Elegance.

If I go for the automatic the left leg has more room to stretch out but otherwise it is a pain (literally)!

The Octavia 3 was almost the same and the SE seats felt really nice and soft. I found the leather a little firm. I just like the shape of the Superb more and mught try the dsg demo again.

I tried the 170 DSG and couldn't believe how smooth the auto box is! Lovely smooth power and plenty of grunt when needed.

Not sure if I can mention but carfile are offering excellent discounts on the Superb and slightly less on the Octavia at the moment. Less of a discount with the 0% free servicing but still better than no discount to date. Worth a chat with them.

Any tips on the knee issue? :-(

I've noticed the knee on the centre console issue too, it was present on my MkII Octavia too.

Usually when I notice the discomfort its because I haven't put my foot down the side of the clutch peddle and onto the footrest.

Doing this stretches my leg enough for my knee to miss the centre console.

Surely if you are looking at a DSG your left foot will be always on the footrest? Or is it still an issue even when your foot is on the footrest?

I understand it to be an accepted fact that lower priced/better value cars do better in the JD Power surveys, than prestige models do, simply because the purchasers/owners of prestige models have, not unreasonably, higher expectations.

The JD Power survey is essentially subject to owners preceptions, bias and opinions.

Unlike the ADAC Statistics.

I would also agree with Superbias comment that some Skoda owners, perhaps especially Yeti drivers, feel "special" cos they bought a Skoda, being a precieved left field choice an all that.

But, hey nowhere near as special/left field as a Steyr Daimler Puch :kiss:

cheers

marcus

Edited by dieseldogg

But, hey nowhere near as special/left field as a Steyr Daimler Puch :kiss:

cheers

marcus

Don't know about Steyr Daimler Puch, but here's a picture of an Austro - Daimler Puch:

puch_last_frame376250.jpg

This is the last one ever built - I did not own this one, but did own the same model built in the previous year.

By the time I finally retired it, the only original part left was the frame. I bought the bike 'used', and put close on another 15000 miles on it - more than a lot of folks do on a motor bike!

(I know I've gone way off topic, but hey, this is that sort of forum!)

After a few test drives of the Superb and Octavia I found I kept knocking my knee on the centre console.

Any tips on the knee issue? :-(

Can't offer any tips - I must say I haven't found a problem, and I've done 850 miles in a 24 hour period, without any aches  - BTW  I'm 6'1" - and wear 33" leg trousers - don't know if height or leg length is an issue?

Now wer'e on the topic, of being off topic, ksr.

What building is that featuring the rather elegant cast iron pillars behind the bicycle?.

PS 

My first, and very 2nd 2nd 2nd 2nd hand, bicycle was a "Rudge", bloody indestructable it was too.

Come to think, it may have featured a cast iron frame, that would perhaps account for the remembered weight and indestructability.

Marcus

What building is that featuring the rather elegant cast iron pillars behind the bicycle?.

The Austro Daimler Puch factory in Graz, Austria, where bicycle production ended in 1987