Skoda octavia tdi 4x4 will not start

My 2001 Skoda octavia tdi 4x4 will not start. this morning when we turned the key almost nothing happened, only a click under the hood.

I tried again tonight and saw the starter motor was turning slowly but nothing was happening.

see here http://youtu.be/YAoC0_ZshZg

I am not sure how clear that is but the electric motor (I assume is the started motor) is turning but the engine is not firing.

Anyone know what might be wrong and most importantly how big a job it is likely to be.

The thermostat was replaced recently but it ran fine for a week after that.

Thanks in advance Tony.

Flat battery or dodgy cabling / poor crimping on the large cables from the battery to the starter motor.

However having watched the video, it doesn't sound like a traditional flat battery.... is the cambelt ok?

(ps.  that was the alternator you were looking at)

IIRC these engines need to turn over at a minmum speed of 250rpm to start so a tired battery or starter motor could be the problem. You need to get the battery tested & go from there.

Hi Guys,

I was away for the weekend so did not try those suggestions. I was confused as all the lights were fine and the unlocking etc but when I tried last night the central locking was not working and the interior lights were dim so I knew right away the battery was an issue. Thanks for all your suggestions