Mk1 Laurin + Klement PD130 Project

Cass1977

Hi all,

This will be updated as I do different bits if it gets enough interest.

I bought my L&K about a month ago and she was bog standard. Not quite 10 years old yet and only 140k on the clock. Not bad for my FIRST diesel motor?

Anyway, you all know what a standard Octy looks like and the only difference with the L&K is that the front bumper looks like its dented underneath in the middle, I wont bore you with the pics ;) Just to say, its silver.

My first mod had to be subs and an amp as the sound system is pretty poor in that area. Luckily I have a lot of this type of gear knocking around. I decided that the boot in the Octy is massive and I dont want to loose that space to a big sub and amp build. I dont want the single sub on one side mod either. What to do? Simple, I have an old cab for 2x16" and 2x10" subs kicking around in my loft (as you do) :)

1173687_10151610982878775_1593509342_n.j

Still had my old 16" subs in it :) It was from my old Manta where it replaced the back seats and was just stupid. So, remove the front of the 10" cabs and fit my amps in there on a sloped face.

1004823_10151610985613775_2136627466_n.j

So, as any decent parent would do, I put my daughter to work fitting it, lol 

Ah, but this will take up your WHOLE boot I hear you say. Indeed it does (can still fit a little bit of shopping in there though)! The clever bit is that its 'quick-release'. I can pull the baby out in under a minute!

556472_10151610987188775_221522511_n.jpg

Quick release IEC plug to handle the power, earth and remote (which incidently doesnt work :( ) Only need the RCAs for the sub on the other side and that is 2 phonos. Quick-Release indeed!

Ive had it out already to move a sofa and had it back in in no time! Very pleased so far. However, I have 2 amps. The 4 channel one is going to power the inside speakers. Now im not sure what to do here?

To be fair, the 2x16"s sound awesome!! massive range and plenty of punch. If I dont turn it up too much it fits with the standard stuff (running off a 52W headunit) quite well. They really need amping up too. Simple again, ISO connector plugs for the speaker outs and RCAs for the front and rear inputs. See, still all quick-release :)

Not sure how to go though, I have a couple of 7" AudioBahns out of my old benz front doors i thought about fitting, BUT, I needed spacers to make them fit the benz and I dont want to do that again as its a lot of messing around (but they do sound good and have separate tweeters) and the grills dont usually fit back on after a mod like that.

Then the rears :( mine are 5" I think, definatly NOT those nasty 6x4s that some have. Gonna be hard to get enough sound from 5"s so should I get something bigger? That would mean mounting on the parcel shelf and makes the quick release not so quick. Also, the subs firing up at the shelf wont help anything I mount on it sound any better.

Ive also heard there are tweeters in the rear doors, if im right about where they are they look like a pain to change and is it really worth it if i do the rest of the speakers?

I havent wired up the second amp yet so not tested the standard system amped up (not sure I wont just blow all the speakers if I amp them?).

541761_10151610987198775_1273129585_n.jp

As I say, still WIP so doesnt look too nice at the moment (But it does SOUND very nice!). Not sure what to do with the cab though? Could make a perspex frame over the amps on a slope like they are or could just put a perspex sheet over it as-is and some lighting. Not sure what to do with the holes from the ports either?

The sound system is going to be an on-going project as I do love nice sounding stereo and getting the right one isnt a 5 min job :)

The next step is lowering and big wheels. Not sure how much I can spend but Coilovers are deffo as my suspension knocks and is just horrible. Gonna try and find some 18/19s on the cheap if I can. I kinda like my nephews 19" 5-spoke S6 rims but they all seem to be 5x112s on ebay :( If not ill just drop it as much as I can get away with on the standard 16s.

Black grill and tinted headlights are also a must. As is modding the front bumper with mesh instead of plastic and a splitter or this :

o179.jpg

Anyway, thats it for now. Thanks for taking the time to look at my project. Any and all suggestions are more than welcome. Ill update this thread as I do each mod.

Cheers guys

Chriz

Its not that that obvious at first. Doesnt look like a dent to most people. its the inner lip on the bottom of the bumper. Once you see it you can spot L&K Octys as they drive past you in the other lane, lol. Ill post a pic tomorrow ;)

Just ordered some fly-eyes and some black vinyl. Im copying Lofty with his black door pillars. They look AWESOME! Not sure if Carbon Fiber wouldnt look better though? Any ideas?

Ive got matt black vinyl coming for the pillars but thinking carbon would look better :(
Maybe I could use the matt black vinyl to wrap the front bumper (Parts of it?)?
Suggestions please?

By the way, the head unit is a JVC KD-LHX552. 3 RCAs, Remote and touch screen. 

I chose to keep it instead of replace it as it has the 3 RCAs and 52w speaker outs. 

Maybe thinking of switching up to a double-din, any ideas guys?

@TERKIN - IF I do cf pillars in carbon fiber then maybe i should do the nasty black plastic inserts with the same cf?

also the roof, spoiler, etc?

Anyone with any ideas??

i liked my double din alot looked cool,got rid though as i wanted gauges!

23iyws8.jpg

my carbon trims thier milotec i remembered!

19t3sn.jpg

so carbon is cool :hi: get pics of the bumper and roof spoiler i have no idea what they look like so have no ideas :giggle:

Liking the pics of your motor! How do the wind deflectors work? Does it still make that evil vibrating noise with the back windows down?

Like the 2din unit. I dont need gauges but if i loose the storage space (lol) ill be stuck with those sticky pads, :/

Thinking of black carbon wrap for the pillars,grill and rear trim above no plate, maybe eyebrows too.?

Was thinking of this rear end? Bumper trim, spoiler and light covers?

Skoda-Octavia-1U-Limousine-MT-Rear-Bumpe

Maybe a carbon wrapped spoiler and light covers too? What do you think?

Not got a roof spoiler yet but thinking something like this

!B4)!(cw!mk~$(KGrHqUOKjEEyVN)tq8oBMrHko1

Anyone got any suggestions about how to finish the box???

;)

cheers dude i might get to drive it soon :giggle: not sure what noise u mean lol, they look cool can have windows open in the rain and you can leave windows open when your away from car and not worry about bees and wasp when you get back!!

lol thiers door pockets,thiers the ashtray,thiers the center bit,thiers the glovebox,thiers the bit under the steering wheel so plenty of storage now whack a double in!

i like that backend bar the light covers :angel: wrapping is cool but id leave them body coloured and just do pillars,but your the boss of the car :hi:

could wrap the box in carbon???

I was thinking of carbon wrap for the box too. Just got some silver and the black is on its way. Thought id try doing the air vents to start with and they actually look really cool. Gonna go for the silver inside and black outside.

Also found these rims on ebay for a steal

$T2eC16NHJH4FHcTC5FQoBSGlZ4lR8!~~60_12.J

Thinking they will look nice with all the cf but gotta lower it. Feels like a boat and dips forward on braking :( Gonna go for the same coilies as you now I have heard some good things about them. 

More pics to follow when ive finished my wrapping

Im looking at pro sport coilovers as they seem good and those wheels with the shocks down as low as speed bumps will allow (We have a lot in my town so not too bigger drop).

Anyway, Ive been all into my cf wrap over the past few days and am having some problems. The air vents! How do you get the inner lip to look right without removing the blades?? Advice PLEASE ;) ;) I just cant get it right. Also, the mirror switch and passenger window switch, I cant get it to wrap around the bit that is under the door handle (Does it even matter as you cant see it?)!

Seems I cant upload a pic on this site, only link to a pic? LAME! The limit for upload to a gallery needs to be over 1Mb!! FFS my phones takes pics bigger than that! Sort it out Admin ;)  Anyway, Ill post the new pics when I can upload and not link stuff.

OK, Ive messed around with my images and made them smaller. So now back to my origional issue.

Ive done the dash

post-105845-0-67643600-1377987671_thumb.jpg

Looks ok, but

post-105845-0-16444600-1377987813_thumb.jpg

Cant work out how to do the inside lip of the vents without taking the blades out. Ive sussed out all the rest as I can pull the cf through the holes and stretch it. I know a lot of people have done this before, so, come on guys, whats the trick to make it look good? Im also struggling with the bits on the doors that have the window switch and mirror switch in. Ive tried to cover it all but made an epic fail on the curved bit under the handles.

The rest looks ok though

post-105845-0-08228600-1377987894_thumb.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated ;)

Finally, a pic of my 'bent' front bumper

post-105845-0-85088900-1377987953_thumb.jpg

Its not just mine, ALL the L&Ks ive seen have the same 'dent'! Verry odd!

post-105845-0-67643600-1377987671_thumb.jpg

post-105845-0-16444600-1377987813_thumb.jpg

post-105845-0-08228600-1377987894_thumb.jpg

post-105845-0-85088900-1377987953_thumb.jpg

Hahaha, handnt noticed to be honest, but now i look, they do. This is not just mine though, honest!! EVERY L&K ive seen has the same bent up middle. Its not really an issue but its very odd that they would make 2 bumpers with such a small difference. 

Either every L&K owner has tried to mount something with their front end or its meant to be like that?

SERIOUSLY, check out the next L&K you see, I can spot them a mile away from the bumper, lol

Hahaha, handnt noticed to be honest, but now i look, they do. This is not just mine though, honest!! EVERY L&K ive seen has the same bent up middle. Its not really an issue but its very odd that they would make 2 bumpers with such a small difference. 

Either every L&K owner has tried to mount something with their front end or its meant to be like that?

SERIOUSLY, check out the next L&K you see, I can spot them a mile away from the bumper, lol

oo er missus :giggle:  I've got the MkI L&K wheels off my mates old L&K wagon, I'll have a look at his pics, pretty sure there's some front on car whore shots!

ok. Ill put my hands up and maybe im totally wrong. Honestly! All the L&Ks in Worcester that ive seen, ive noticed because of the dent. Maybe its just us skoda drivers in my town, lol.

Anyway, back to the point, The wrapping of the vents, etc. Here is a couple of pics of the bits under the door handle. NOT a good job but they look ok if you dont peek behind the handle. 

What is the trick to get a tight wrap in these areas?

post-105845-0-23277600-1378045219_thumb.jpg

post-105845-0-81526100-1378045451_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Im not going to bother with the 'L' shaped bit that hides under the handles. Its more the vents. I just cant get the wrap round the inside bit where the fins are. There isnt enough room to pull the cf any further back than about 2mm. Basically, im totally stuck on the vents! Anyone got any tips on removing the blades? That would help. Also, not sure if I should do the glovebox and door pockets? Would that be too much?

Anyway, I get my new rims tomorrow but not sure weather to fit them or wait until ive dropped it? 18s with standard suspension can look a bit odd. 

Any ideas?

More updates! :)

Firstly, my new 18s. Fitting was fine, except the couple of problems! Got the first wheel off and my nephew shows up. Offers to help, cool I think. I spot we have the wrong wheel so go off to get the right one while he lays the new wheel against the old one, FACE DOWN :( :( The rubber from the old tyre rubbed off the paint on 3 of the spokes! :( GUTTED!!! Not too bad though and I might be able to fix it without a refurb. I HOPE. The second problem was that one bolt on the front wheel wouldnt come off. Even bent my spanner!

So I got a new spanner, got angry and turned into the Hulk! That sorted the bugger! They do look nice! And dont give it that odd look you get on some cars that havent been lowered and have big wheels. I think they are off the new VRS TDis but not sure. Could anyone clarify this?

rims

So next day I curbed the n/s/f and the next day I curbed the o/s/f! Im such a ****! Maybe need some wider tyres?

Anyway, Curbed rims and naff looking carbon wrap was annoying me so I decided to sort out the crap looking vents. I went to town on the middle vent first! Turns out its easy to get the front bit out, 2 clips on the side and 2 above and below :

So I warpped it and cut it :

wrapped

Did the same to the other vents and, voilla, looks much better :

fittedvents

If you do this then watch the outside edges of the vents and the mech. If the plate falls off the little nobbly bits of the fins then your gonna have a bad time. It happened to me and I had to mess around loads to get everything back to how it worked!

I had a little bit of the carbon fiber left over so I thought Id try to use that and the off-cuts to wrap the bit on the handle with the window buttons :

Obviously, turned out crap as I was using off-cuts! It did give me a few things to think about though. How to do the bits around the switches and how to do the big bit at the back? I dont think it would be possible to wrap this in 1 piece! Has anyone done one of these or seen any pics? Maybe start at the big handle bit and work from there? any ideas?

Apart from the curbing, Im very happy so far. Ive only owned it for 6 weeks and think im doing well.

Ive wrapped the front grill and it looks good, just need to ditch the plastic bits. I was going to do the A pillars but what I had left was 1cm short!!!!! GRRRRRRR!! :( So, suggestions on what to wrap in black carbon fiber? Was thinking the bit above the rear number plate?

I am now, badgeless, on the front. What I need is a stick-on front badge, BUT, I cant find one! Id really like an L&K one but bet they dont exist, so, next option is the black and silver badge. I cant find one anywhere so anyone who has seen one, PLEASE, let me know.

Pics of the grill to follow

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi all

Thought Id update my post as havent done in a while and I have been slowly getting her looking better. First off was coilies and new drop links. Tuning art coilies slammed as far as was possible without rubbing. (I think the back could go down a bit though). To be honest Ive had issues with speed bumps and have had some really nasty smashes on them so now I have to plan my route in advance. 

sk2.jpg

Im toying with the idea of adjusting the camber to give the wheels a better look (and maybe go a bit lower). I know it will wear out my tyres quicker and all the rest but it will look good and (hopefully) improve handling. Anyone played around with this before with any advice would be ace ;)

sk1.jpg

Next up was the bumper. I always said I wasnt going down the VRS bumper route so heres what I did. I never liked the cheep plastic inserts so removed them and fitted black mesh, did the same with the bonnet grill. then added a splitter as far forward as I could. I think it looks pretty good

sk6.jpg

sk5.jpg

sk4.jpg

I think shes looking pretty nice now. Just need to work on her ass, it just looks ugly. No spoiler, no big exhaust, just plain boring. A guy round the corner from me had a genuine WRC and I loved the spoiler on that but it might be a bit over the top?

Ive also (and youll all slag me off for this) 'chipped' it. I know its a crap excuse for a remap but for a tenner I DO get a few more mpg and it is a bit faster so itll do until the remap.

Having owned it for a year now I have to say I F*****G love it! NEVER let me down, has been a bit wobbly at times but always starts and never drinks too much, even with my heavy right foot. I definatly would recomend an L&K to anyone ;)

So next steps are (maybe) camber the wheels, lower the back end a bit more, spoiler (anny suggestions?), tints (It gets hot with a black interior) and a stage 1 remap.

Finally, Ive had to let my Benz go :( REALLY gutted about that so im gonna show you all both cars together for the last time ever! sob :(

sk3.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking and any suggestions are appreciated, as always ;)