Skoda Fabia II 1.4TSI VRS

MWRobbo

Hi all, first post here so apologies if it’s a bit rubbish.

I've been a VW fan for a while and for the last 3 years have been enjoying my VW Polo 9N 1.9PD TDI 100BHP.

Great little car which is quite understated for what it is.

Did a few things to it to make it a bit more lively and pleasant to drive.

*Stage 1 Revo remap (142 BHP and 225lbft)

*Eibach pro kit (Bilstein B6 sport dampers + Eibach springs)

*EBC Green stuff pads

*EBC Grooved disk

*HID kit

*Pioneer head unit (Bluetooth and iPod)

Only a few things but made the car much nicer and meant that I could give most things on the road a good run for their money.  :happy:

9588821071_59fed68d84_z.jpg

I then found myself looking around at things with a bit more poke but wanted to keep with the VAG group for a few reasons.

*I love the look and feel of VAG products

*Reliability

*Tuneability

*Overall awesomeness!

I decided on the 1.4tsi 180PS engine and wanted something that’s a similar size to my polo.

After much searching, repeatedly looking at my wallet and a couple of test drives I decided on the Sokda Fabia VRS.

The drive was brilliant, the looks are fantastic and I couldn’t believe that a fully specked up VRS is around £2000 cheaper than a poverty model Polo GTI and for what, a badge?

That defiantly made my mind up.

I got on to the bank and auto trader and did lots of searching.

And here she is. . .

9591662724_997e895bec_z.jpg
9591660002_4f4fe79446_z.jpg
9588863009_52e7f21798_z.jpg
9590346609_c69f811419_z.jpg

Skoda Fabia VRS 1.4TSI 7Spd DSG

*Race Blue

*Black Magic Roof

*Electric Sunroof

*17" Black Gigaro

*Tempo Grey Upholstery

*Storage Boxes Under Front Seats

*Glasses storage compartment (my fave option)

*3-spoke multi-functional leather leather steering wheel with control module for radio and telephone

*Front armrest

*Heated front seats

*Acoustic rear parking sensors

*Climate control air conditioning

*Cruise control

*Rear electric windows

*Amundsen' satellite navigation system and Maxi-dot

*Telephone preparation GSM II with Bluetooth

All in all a pretty happy chap.

I think it looks great and it go's like stink :p

I've got a couple of things I'd like to do with it but need to wait until next April when the warranty runs out.

On the list is;

*Revo Stage 1 Remap - done

*Revo DSG Map

*NGK Iridium Spark plugs - done

*Eibach official springs

*Koni FSD Dampers

*Eibach Rear Anti Roll Bar

*Miltek Turbo-back including Hi-Flow Sports Cat (Possibly ceramic coat the downpipe)

*More powerful bulbs for headlights - done (getting HID kit)

*Install puddle lights - done

*Change interior and some exterior lights to crystal white LED's - done

*Change interior handles and door release to alu edition - done

*Change Ariel to stubby one - done

*Code alarm beeps - done

*Code big MPH on Maxidot - done

*Wind/ Rain deflectors

*Change Skoda badges for new ones

*Change chrome grill surround to another colour (blue or black)

It's going to take a while to get the cash for all of it but it's a long term project.

Any comments/ suggestions are welcomed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice welcome guys.

Cars been into the garage. Some warranty work like on the clutch, oil consumption test and there was a tpi on the heated seats.

Got a call on the second day of it being at the garage.

Service Manager: Morning Sir, I've just been out in your car. Can I ask you, has the car been mapped?

Me: (thinks "S***, I forgot to switch the revo off) Not that I know of. Why do you ask? :giggle:

Service Manager: Ok, it's just that this is the quickest TSI I've ever driven.

Me: Oh, I just thought it was a fast car

Service Manger: Ok, we will carry on with the work.

:whew:  Got lucky there!!

They eventually did the consumption test without trying to get me to pay for it. Then they all of a sudden decided to order the new oil breather mod.

Heated seats sorted.

Something on the clutch changed - not sure what yet.

Told me they did 'LOADS' of software updates. But when I got the car back it still had Revo on and both ECU and gearbox software versions were exactly the same as before.

Going to wait for the full report to see what they are claiming they did. Still, pleased that some bits got done.

Also ordered a bunch of new bulbs for the car. Will be fitting these when they arrive this week.

Originally got some Ring 55W 120% white upgrade bulbs for main and dip. Heads up for you all. There absolutely crap, no better than the standard Osram bulbs the Fabia comes with.

So I'll parm them off on a family member and I've gone for some 100w crystal white bulbs which should be much better.

New bulbs that will be arriving next this week are;

Side lights

Main beam

Dip beam

Number plate 

Front main and map

Rear main and map

All will be in White/ Crystal White, so hoping that they all match closely.

Photos when they are done if anyone is interested.

but wanted to keep with the VAG group for a few reasons.

*I love the look and feel of VAG products

*Reliability

*Tuneability

*Overall awesomeness!

Thanks for the nice welcome guys.

Cars been into the garage. Some warranty work like on the clutch, oil consumption test and there was a tpi on the heated seats.

Hows that reliability going for you  :devil:   Many people misconstrue VAG build quality as the same as reliability.  

On a serious note, what is the TPI on the heated seats?  Before i got rid of mine, i noticed that the heated seat(passenger) smoked a coulpe of times when i turned it on.  I presumed the missus had spilt water or something on it.  She also used to complain it made her feel uncomfortable like mini electric shock, but i neve rbelieved her, mine felt lovely lol

I'd say the Fabia is reliable as it 'does what it says on the tin' day in, day out. Just that some things arent quite as refined or as robust as they could be. Still enjoying it though.

Cant really complain too much as its not like I've gone and spunked £30K on an Audi.

Aparently there were some parts fitted incorrectly in the fabia and possibly another model but cant remember which, that cause them to fail when used. Service manager didnt say much about the effects of them failing e.g. smoke or fire. just that some parts needed replacing.

I've not come across any problems as I dont use the heated seats and this will be the first winter I've owned the car.

Enjoy your car.

They had not 'Loads of ECU updates to do'. Just the ECU update if it had not already been done.

If the Breather Mod was done because it was using oil, then more will maybe need doing,

the Breather Mod will not fix things.

But if its getting a good amount of hard use and no High Oil use, then you are doing just fine.

Just be aware that a New Engine might be on the cards, not just them messing about putting things off until something goes wrong.

If you had them aware of high oil use before the Warranty Expired you are good.

Other than if they reject because of you having Re-mapped it.

(You are showing your Registration Number and telling the general Public & any Skoda UK Employees your car is Mapped and you are having Warranty Work done at Skodas expense.)

See Exclusions.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

What kind of Warranty work on the Clutch, do you know yet,

Did it need new Clutch Packs?

And they were doing this and you have a REVO Remapped DSG?

http://www.hp.net.au/index.php/products/dq200

What is the REVO Changes to the DSG, and what has it given that is different?

Did the REVO Map installer show you this document?

• Like 1

They had not 'Loads of ECU updates to do'. Just the ECU update if it had not already been done.

Made me laugh when he said it to me. I thought, If there were that many updates then it would most likely be all over this forum and many others.

If the Breather Mod was done because it was using oil, then more will maybe need doing,

I can only assume it was as they did another consumption test after fitting it. But this is something that I will be keeping an eye on.

I drive the car hard when road conditions permit and the country lanes are good around here.

What kind of Warranty work on the Clutch, do you know yet

Still dont know about the clutch work yet. But I will be be posting that when I find out.

Interesting bit on Harding's website about the change in material. Hoping that will have already been done on my car as its 2011 and the post mentions this being done in late 2001.

The actual DSG box is still running standard software as at the time of doing the remap Revo hadnt released their software for it. I used to suffer from the clutch cutting in quite sharply when trying to pull away smoothly in 1st gear but what ever they did seems to have fixed that for 95% of the time.

What is the REVO Changes to the DSG, and what has it given that is different?

Did the REVO Map installer show you this document?

The usual changes that you get with a Revo DSG map are things like, no kick down when cornering, Launch control (if you ask for it) and more responsive gear changes. There may be more but I'm not 100% sure.

I read that document before mapping the car. My brother is a Revo dealer and made me aware of problems with the 1.4tsi before mapping. We also changed the spark plugs at the time of the remap as it's been reccommended by Revo.

Glad we did as two of them were loose and required no effort to remove them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I almost got the same car (only it had white roof) very nice....patience is key you will get there soon

I know that they can do something on the dsg6 especially with the lc but not with dsg7 (mystery)

In the other hand ....Taxopoulos in Greece Thessaloniki has I think the dsg7 with LC and tested plus priced among other mods on it

• 3 weeks later...

Revo have LC for 1,4 TSI engine and dsg7 since when ? That's news (if it is true )

Not just yet. They are meant to be working on it.

Will chat to Kev sometime soon and check they still have it in development.

• 5 months later...

Finally got some bits done.

Coded alarm beebs when locking/ unlocking

Coded Big MPH on maxi dot

Coded Anti theft

Changed the interior lights to led's

Before

13230756585_717f0df5e2.jpg

After

13230648693_72cfa3e03a.jpg 13230825814_fcdfa861c1.jpg

Changed handles on the doors for the alu edition ones.

Before

13230873944_78e79325ee.jpg

After

13230839794_ac50d7f7ef.jpg

Changed the Headlight bulbs to 100W in both dip and main. Just got a HID Kit to give me that crystal white look to match the DRL's. Will fit soon and photos.

100W

13230821034_8e318fc376.jpg

Fitted the Puddle light Mod.

13230887954_114918ccc4.jpg 13230581565_78e558f67d.jpg

13230611135_a5d3a7215a.jpg 13230644555_e9b94788bb.jpg

Fitted led lights for number plate (hard to get an accurate photo of the colour)

Before

13230895773_8fb343649a.jpg

After

13231070984_1132823afc.jpg

Four Day detailing session

Snow foam pre wash x 2

Hand wash x 2

Clay bar entire car

2 stage machine polish

Dodo Juice purple haze wax

Dodo Juice supernatural wax

13915762933_dfcaab4d1d_n.jpg 13230781343_27afb476c4_n.jpg

13230763413_cef07b77a1_n.jpg 13230728095_7cc6095a2c_n.jpg 13230714475_557d13297f_n.jpg

13230952434_a39eefdf0d_n.jpg 13230959254_c49d9827a5_n.jpg

She even went on the Dyno. I'll try and dig out the graph soon.

13230705365_fa50a2d728.jpg

Managed to find the graphs.

Red lines are stock

Black lines are Revo stage 1 remap.

Very difficult to get a good run. When going to full throttle the gearbox kept deciding to kickdown. These were done at around 80 - 90% throttle to avoid the kickdown but it’s very close to advertised figures.

Completely transformed the car and I’m quite a happy chap.

post-105520-0-51890400-1398199943_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Graph looks very smooth on delivery.  Don't know if it is a Dyno thing but my APR looks a bit more aggressive with a stronger initial torque spike but then a heavier dip during the super/turbo handover.  Looks well and 210bhp is good.

Kickdown is always an issue on dyno runs, but you don't need a full pedal depress to get 100% throttle, you get that before the kickdown switch.

Graph looks very smooth on delivery.  Don't know if it is a Dyno thing but my APR looks a bit more aggressive with a stronger initial torque spike but then a heavier dip during the super/turbo handover.  Looks well and 210bhp is good.

Kickdown is always an issue on dyno runs, but you don't need a full pedal depress to get 100% throttle, you get that before the kickdown switch.

Looking at the graph on awesome’s dyno. Not sure I'd trust the torque figure. It’s reading well over on stock.

I'm confident in the figures I've been given. Done at Northampton Motorsport. Very good dyno and accurate repeatable results. Do you know what gear the runs were done in?

We hooked up vcds when running the car and noticed that you only needed to get up to around 80% throttle for it actually to give 100% as the throttle map isn’t linear.

Btw, love your build thread. Makes for interesting reading. How are you getting on with the spacers?