1.8 TSI 4x4 DSG Almost here.. :)

.Presumably for anyone slightly less interested in actual off-road driving and even more interested in economy, the non-Scout 4x4 Octavia estate might be an even better option?

I don't think there'd be that much in it in all reality. I'm going for the RRP to get the sump guard and mild lift. The reality though is that most of the places I took the Scout it wouldn't matter whether its 180mm off the deck or 155mm or whether it was plastic clad or not, however the guard has earnt it's keep a few times. (The cladding is just painted plastic so any scrapes would show - I don't have any by the way!)

However, if you can't envisage ever going anywhere rocky that would test your ground clearance the non-RRP equipped car would be fine. Just like the 2wd car but slightly poorer on fuel, faster through the bends if you want it, a doddle in muddy fields and that little bit smug inducing if tooling about in the snow on winter tyres.

Niall

The Octavia II 4x4 has the RRP by default and the clearance is 165mm, with the 15mm difference being the size of the wheels - Scouts have a larger rolling radius. The Scout also gets a couple more extras like hill hold and cruise control. If those things don't interest you, then get whichever one you can find the best example of at a decent price. You will get the same haldex in either, which is the big bonus (over a standard Octavia).

And yes, 4x4 is no substitute for winter tyres. I have them and would sooner be without the haldex than the tyres.

... However, if you can't envisage ever going anywhere rocky that would test your ground clearance the non-RRP equipped car would be fine. Just like the 2wd car but slightly poorer on fuel, faster through the bends if you want it, a doddle in muddy fields and that little bit smug inducing if tooling about in the snow on winter tyres.

Thanks - the non-Scout ("stealth") 4x4 sounds just the kind of car I want.  Don't like the Scout (personal opinion of course!) - it looks like a 4x4.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out in the rain today and pushed it a bit in corners and roundabouts, damn it grips to the ground like its glued on.. :) Just love the 4x4 :D :D

Hello Kabe,

Really nice car. Is there a major difference between multilink and non-multilink rear suspension? Have you tried them both? There was someone from above who mentioned the 4x4 has firmer suspension, but i thought that for 4x4 and in our country where i can get 1.8TSI 4x4 the suspension is multilink. So, is there any difference in right comfort, which one is better on ruff surfaces? 

Edited by rendeto

Was out in the rain today and pushed it a bit in corners and roundabouts, damn it grips to the ground like its glued on.. :) Just love the 4x4 :D :D

Hello Kebe,

One more question - do you know if the standard skoda octavia estate comes with twin exhaust or it is only 4x4 one?

Hello Kabe,

Really nice car. Is there a major difference between multilink and non-multilink rear suspension? Have you tried them both? There was someone from above who mentioned the 4x4 has firmer suspension, but i thought that for 4x4 and in our country where i can get 1.8TSI 4x4 the suspension is multilink. So, is there any difference in right comfort, which one is better on ruff surfaces? 

Hi and thanks.: :)

I have not tried both enough to compare the difference, but all others that have tried them both say that the multi link is far better then the normal. :) all 4x4 and vrs get the multi link.. :) 

Hello Kebe,

One more question - do you know if the standard skoda octavia estate comes with twin exhaust or it is only 4x4 one?

Only 1.8 tsi 4x4 and vrs tsi get the twin exhaust 

Hi and thanks.: :)

I have not tried both enough to compare the difference, but all others that have tried them both say that the multi link is far better then the normal. :) all 4x4 and vrs get the multi link.. :)

Only 1.8 tsi 4x4 and vrs tsi get the twin exhaust 

Thanks for the info. So, twin exhaust is somehow related to 4x4 :( .  Nice to hear about multilink that makes so much difference in the ride comfort. 

As a side note, the FWD 1.8 TSI gets the twin exhaust as well.

Not like the 4x4 and vrs tsi. The 1.8 fwd get only on leftside. Alltough its two pipes on one side. The 4x4 get one pipe on left and right side.

Not like the 4x4 and vrs tsi. The 1.8 fwd get only on leftside. Alltough its two pipes on one side. The 4x4 get one pipe on left and right side.

Ok, so it is not like the Superb two pipes from each side (http://www.google.bg/imgres?rlz=1C1_____enBG460BG460&espv=210&es_sm=122&biw=1745&bih=974&tbm=isch&tbnid=x-XQfHDB9I6S1M:&imgrefurl=http://www.zr.ru/content/articles/334475-skoda_superb_combi_na_vyrost/&docid=-Jf8d5H7ZDbwLM&imgurl=http://cache.zr.ru/wpfiles/uploads/2011/07/201107081113_10.jpg&w=1096&h=654&ei=XfZ5UrixLYKVtQbKgoHwBw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:2,s:0,i:84&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=174&tbnw=271&start=0&ndsp=33&tx=120&ty=80), but even so it is beautiful on the Octavia as well, just i do not know why do they hide them on the Octavia ? 

Edited by rendeto

No only one pipe on each side and they are hidden.. :)

I like the fact that they are hidden, it makes the 1.8 4x4 a wolf in sheep clouding ;)

pic from earlier in this thred

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/286742-18-tsi-4x4-dsg-almost-here/?p=3407839

No only one pipe on each side and they are hidden.. :)

I like the fact that they are hidden, it makes the 1.8 4x4 a wolf in sheep clouding ;)

pic from earlier in this thred

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/286742-18-tsi-4x4-dsg-almost-here/?p=3407839

Oh, I saw your beauty :) I personally prefer to be visible, but then the element of surprise is always nice :) 

• 10 months later...

I've just take delivery of a 1.8TSI 4x4 Elegance Estate in Race Blue Metallic. Exactly six months from order to delivery in New Zealand.

• KESSY
  • Flat bottom multifunction steering wheel
  • 17" Teron Alloys
  • Front Assist
  • Driver fatigue alert
  • Bi-xenons and daytime running lights
  • Rear LED lights
  • Electric front seats with memory
  • Chrome Package
  • Sunset Glass
  • And an unexpected bonus of the driving mode selection

I've just come from a 2010 Audi A3 1.4 TSI and am enjoying the Octavia much more.  Not only does it have many features the Audi was lacking but it is also smoother and more powerful to drive.

It's a shame the 1.8 4x4 is not available in some countries as I think it is the sweet spot of the whole range.  It's got the multilink suspension, XDS and electronic diff lock that the VRS has, plus the four wheel drive that it doesn't.  While the 1.8 is not quite as zippy as the 2.0 TSI it's still a quick car.

• Like 3