Verifying fault code P261A - coolant pump 'B'

Recently had this fault pop up with no prioir warning and the fault code P261A (scanned with Torque) relates to 'coolant pump B control circuit/open'.  Reading up on this seems to suggest the auxillary coolant pump is at fault and needs to be replaced.

Can anyone advise if I can check whether it's really faulty before I fork out £131.05 for a new one from Skoda, plus fitting? And would this be the only cause for the fault code?

Any advise appreciated, cheers.

• Like 1

IIRC, DTC 009754 (P261A) is for the V178 coolant recirculation pump 2. Assuming it's CEGA engine, check fuse 24 in the eBox. Check you have power between pins 1 and 2. Check continuity between pin 3 to pin 30 of the 60-pin ECU connector (lilac/red wire).

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Was this ever followed up? I have just got the same code (randomly after putting premium diesel in for the first time, but that's probably unrelated).

Code was cleared but has come back after 3 engines restarts and about half hour of driving. thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this in case anybody stumbles across this thread in the future....

I called my local Skoda dealer and told them I needed a V178 coolant pump.

They initially gave me a price for a tyre compressor as the guy read 'electric pump' on some list and thought that's what I needed.

I realised it was too cheap and questioned him and he realised his mistake.... anyway.

They wanted something around £140 for the part plus fitting, inc vat it would have been £224 and some pennies.

I went on the official Skoda parts website and the part was 'on offer' at £100 plus £6 postage... so why are the dealers asking full price?

Anyway, I got the part number (the actual part number, not V178 which isn't the part number).

It is 5N0965561

Searching on ebay for 'Skoda' and 'V178' wasn't finding much other than a generic bosch pump that may have worked but was a totally different shape.

Now i had the part number ebay gave me better luck and turned up a load of pumps from various VWs and Audis.

I got one for £40. There were some for less and some for more but I just liked the look of the seller... good feedback etc and the pump still had parts of hose connected so i had a few spare clips.

The service manual reckons the turbo pipe needs to come off. This is true if you want to remove the small bracket the pump attaches to.

However you can use mole grips to remove 3 small bolts and then it's just two hose clips and the electrical connector.

To replace the pump itself is literally a 15 min job and I am no mechanic.

It takes more time to top the coolant up and run the car up to temp with the expansion cap off to get the air out.

I just need to drive it for a couple of days and hope the warning light stays off now : )

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this in case anybody stumbles across this thread in the future....

I called my local Skoda dealer and told them I needed a V178 coolant pump.

They initially gave me a price for a tyre compressor as the guy read 'electric pump' on some list and thought that's what I needed.

I realised it was too cheap and questioned him and he realised his mistake.... anyway.

They wanted something around £140 for the part plus fitting, inc vat it would have been £224 and some pennies.

I went on the official Skoda parts website and the part was 'on offer' at £100 plus £6 postage... so why are the dealers asking full price?

Anyway, I got the part number (the actual part number, not V178 which isn't the part number).

It is 5N0965561

Searching on ebay for 'Skoda' and 'V178' wasn't finding much other than a generic bosch pump that may have worked but was a totally different shape.

Now i had the part number ebay gave me better luck and turned up a load of pumps from various VWs and Audis.

I got one for £40. There were some for less and some for more but I just liked the look of the seller... good feedback etc and the pump still had parts of hose connected so i had a few spare clips.

The service manual reckons the turbo pipe needs to come off. This is true if you want to remove the small bracket the pump attaches to.

However you can use mole grips to remove 3 small bolts and then it's just two hose clips and the electrical connector.

To replace the pump itself is literally a 15 min job and I am no mechanic.

It takes more time to top the coolant up and run the car up to temp with the expansion cap off to get the air out.

I just need to drive it for a couple of days and hope the warning light stays off now : )

Apologies for not seeing your posts Chris.  I just looked back at the paperwork and found that the code P261A fault I had was relating to secondary water pump, which I had replaced by my local garage.  The part was around £140 as abive and labour came to £300.  I reckon you did well!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apologies for not seeing your posts Chris.  I just looked back at the paperwork and found that the code P261A fault I had was relating to secondary water pump, which I had replaced by my local garage.  The part was around £140 as abive and labour came to £300.  I reckon you did well!

That's ok! My used ebay pump has been on the car a few months now and the light has not returned so I'm happy. If I shut the engine down after some 'enthusiastic' driving OI can just about hear a whizzing sound that i never noticed before changing the pump so I guess it's doing it's job : ) It's a very easy job to change it, the most difficult part is getting the under tray back on!

• Like 1

• 6 years later...