Caliper grease /lube.. What, which, where?

pulse

So I've nearly finished cleaning and rebuilding my rear calipers... But what lube or grease should I use to put it back together, like on the sliders etc??

So confused with all the Google replies. Red rubber grease, coppaslip, silicone grease.....???

Asked my mate who's a vauxhall mechanic and he gave me a tin of multi purpose ep7 grease. Ebay comes back with mainly red rubber stuff. I asked a customer yesterday and he said about using some green brake grease. So I'm stumped.

Any suggestions? As I just want to get them put back together and get them on but don't want to use the wrong stuff!

I use Coppa slip or a blue type ceramic grease in an aerosol with a brush attached like THIS

Ultimately you need to thoroughly clean the slide areas with a wire brush, apply a small amount of any type of grease just to prevent the return of the corrosion that will prevent the pads from sliding. I wouldn't worry too much about what you use as they will all do the job.

As for the the back of the pads, I wouldn't apply anything, most pads have self adhesive pad on the back to prevent squeal.

Coppaslip always used to be good enough, but I think its now in the 'banned' list and a lithium grease is the recommended substance.

I'm not a mechanic ( hence I still have a tube if coppaslip to use up).

Red rubber grease for the sliders. Most other greases will make the rubber swell up and jam the sliders. 

Also handy for putting on the dust seals to keep them in good condition :)

Day

Edited by Day-VRS

Dealers use lithium grease on the guide pins. Never seen the 'rubber swell up and jam the sliders'.

It happens:) Rubber swells up, the sliders go all tight, calipers start to stick. Have a look round the internet, there's plenty of articles regarding the issue. 

Day

• 1 month later...