Superb Diesel Estate (which one)

Hi

I joined the forum to get some info on MPG info on the Superb.

I am looking at buying a new 170 Estate Elegence in either DSG or DSG 4x4.

No local dealer has a DSG or DSG 4x4 to test:-(

I do around 20K a year

Can anyone give me MPG figures on them please?

Thanks

Pete

Sinclair

I noticed you have the dsg 4x4. what mpg are you getting please

I will ring them tomorrow to sort a demo

Thanks

Pete

I am getting around 43 MPG at the moment.  It is getting better as the miles increase, at 3000 miles now

Test drove the estate 170 dsg 4x4 today at Simpsons of Colne.

Sinclair "Thanks for the heads up".

On the test with some motorways and country lanes, it averaged 35mpg. It had 9000 miles on the clock.

There were 2 trips. I reset one of them, but the other showed 37mpg. The sales person reckons it had possibly not been reset since they got it.

I was impressed overall by the car. On some tight roundabouts the traction and drive out of the corners 

was really good. However not sure if I can justify the extra £2K for the diesel over the 3years i will keep the car, if the mpg is right.

The other thing I noticed was the rather high rpm from the 6 speed dsg box at 75 to 80 mph. All the diesels I have run over the last 8 years have run between 1800 to 2200 rpm at that speed. The superb ran at 2500 rpm. I think it really needs the 7 speed dsg box.

Our Mercedes B200 cdi sport(2012) runs at only 2000 at that speed. The Volvo V70 Rdesign 2.0D ran at 2200 at 80mph and the Ford C max with the 136BHP diesel was only 2000 rpm at 80mph.

The extra 300rpm will make motorway runs quite expensive.

Will probably order a Manual 170 Elegence in the week

Thanks

Pete

Edited by gortonpete

hi Pete

Do your self a favour and buy a petrol superb or at least drive one before you buy, the 170 diesel model has a vibration at 1500-2000 revs that will drive you up the wall.

bill

Mine is a 140 4x4 DSG and initially I found the consumption really disappointing, 34 - 36, probably about 60/40 split between town and open road driving. It was far better then my previous Saab auto diesel and equaled our manual Focus diesel convertible. However, I have noticed that as the miles creep nearer 10000, as I have been advised by others on this forum, the car is steadily doing more to the gallon, around 40 on the last tankful with very few long runs.

The last passengers to travel in mine are getting rid of a Jaguar XF as the need 4wd traction (but not an off roader), they were so impressed by the quality and refinement of my Superb they are thinking of getting one. I must also confess I have a heavy right foot

You would think if the 170 has more torque. it would have the taller 6th gear.

Yes, you would.  I will try to dig out the thread, but it was done to death.  IIRC the consensus was that the gearbox in the manual 170CR was given shorter gearing to boost the 0-60 figures over the 140CR, which was backed up by someone posting the actual gear ratios of the gearboxes in both engines.

EDIT: I can't find the original post, but I did find these numbers which contradicts what I remembered about the gearing - does anyone agree/recognise the ratios?

140CR

gearbox

6 speed manual

top gear ratio

final drive ratio

0.81 x 2.76 = 2.2356

170CR

gearbox

6 speed manual

top gear ratio

final drive ratio

0.76 x 2.92 = 2.2192

So the engine has to do fewer revolutions in the 170 to turn the wheels once vs. the 140.

Edited by JakeBlade

Test drove the estate 170 dsg 4x4 today at Simpsons of Colne.

Sinclair "Thanks for the heads up".

On the test with some motorways and country lanes, it averaged 35mpg. It had 9000 miles on the clock.

There were 2 trips. I reset one of them, but the other showed 37mpg. The sales person reckons it had possibly not been reset since they got it.

That's quite a bit worse than I'm getting with a 13-plate 170 4x4 manual, and is quite surprising.  I'm averaging just under 45mpg indicated in total for the 1,000 miles I've had the car, over a similar variety of roads.  Plus I have a bike rack on the roof and quite a few of those miles have been with the bike on top too.

I recently got my 170 4x4 manual and brim to brim calculated MPG is 53, which I am pretty impressed by! That is a mix of motorway (at 65mph), fast A-road and some between town driving (i.e. not sitting in city traffic, but driving through towns at 30 etc). I tend to drive in a fairly predictive manner (lifting off and naturally slowing to lights), but also tend to give it some stick moderately often to overtake, or just because its fun :)

Edit: My MFD seems to be off by about 3-5mpg

Edited by chrisps

Hi

Have now tested

170 dsg estate L&K 170 2200 rpm at 70mph

Greenline Elegance manual 2100 rpm at 70mph.

Short test earlier in week on manual 1800rpm at 70mph

I was very surpised with the Greenline, In traffic on the M62 between the Risley turn off and the M60, At rush hour it returned 102mpg.

I was doing between 45 and 70mph. That's what the car read out showed. Thou the engine didn't have much power. it was smooth enough.

So I think I will end up with a manual Elegance in White. Its a shame there is no Manual 4x4.

It will be interesting to see how it compares on mpg with Our (out going)Mercedes 2012 B class 200 CDI. It does average of 53mpg on the read out. But in the real world, Only does 46mpg. The car will be missed, but not the Servicing dealer or the Electronic problems. The final decision will be made this weekend.

Thanks for all the info from everyone.

Pete

Edited by gortonpete

So I think I will end up with a manual Elegance in White. Its a shame there is no Manual 4x4.

The facelift 140 4x4 is manual I believe? From memory they swapped over - the 170 4x4 became DSG and the 140 4x4 became manual.

Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi

Deal done and ordered.

Superb 170 manual Estate in white.

About 10 days before pickup. 

Claybank in Eccles were very helpful and patient.

They let me try different things in, to see if it fitted.

Nothing was too much trouble.

The boot is so b****** big. Things in the Merc that needed all the seats down to fit, fit in the

Superb with all the seats still up and the boot cover on.

Pete

Glad you have ordered and liked it enough to buy!

Not surprised by the space though - Superb is only bested by Merc E class I think for space - a B-Class is only Focus size!

We had a Greenline I and couldn't get it to drop below 50mpg, whatever we threw at it.

The Volvo was a V70 2009 2.0d R design. 136bhp 320nm

MPG

Around town  32 - 36 the lower figure is in the winter.

Motor way 43 at 80 mph

50 at 60 mph

Having said that, if you drove like an old man these figures can be bettered but not by much.

I do tend to have a lead foot.

These are the computer figures.

Its a great car, but recently new prices have gone through the roof.

hence the purchase of the Merc. Which has been thrown back, Not fit for purpose.

Hope this helps

Peter

I have a 2012 (new in March) 170 4x4 Elegance Hatchback.  Have now done just under 20,000 miles about 2,500 of which has been with a heavy caravan on the back.

Brim to brim tankful at 70-80 mph on French Autoroutes = ave 44mpg

Around town and some motorway = ave 40 mpg

With heavy caravan on the back = ave 28 mpg

OVERALL since new (incl with caravan) = 38mpg

Pretty good I recon and a brilliant tow car!