Running in

Yes or no?

Dealer said to take it easy for ~500 miles before foot to the floor?

In the same discussion though he said new modern engines don't really need running in.

I'm sure there's probably a massive thread on this already re: the oil consumption issue?

Driving and the Environment

The first 1 500 kilometres and then afterwards

New engine

The engine has to be run in during the first 1 500 kilometres.

Up to 1 000 kilometres

› Do not drive faster than 3/4 of the maximum speed of the gear in use, i.e. 3/4 of

the maximum permissible engine speed.

› No full throttle.

› Avoid high engine speeds.

› Do not tow a trailer.

From 1 000 up to 1 500 kilometres

› Gradually increase the power output of the engine up to the full speed of the

gear engaged, i.e. up to the maximum permissible engine speed.

During the first operating hours the engine has higher internal friction than later

until all of the moving parts have harmonized. The driving style which you adopt

during the first approx.1 500 kilometres plays a decisive part in the success of

running in your car.

Never drive at unnecessarily high engine speeds even after the running-in period

is complete. The maximum permissible engine speed is marked by the start of the

red scale area of the revolutions counter. On vehicles fitted with a manual gearbox, at the very latest shift up into the next gear when the red area is reached.

During acceleration (depressing the accelerator) exceptionally high engine

speeds are automatically reduced, yet the engine is not protected against too

high engine speeds which are caused by incorrectly shifting down the gears resulting in a sudden increase of the engine speeds above the permitted maximum

revolutions which can lead to engine damage.

For a vehicle fitted with a manual gearbox the converse situation also applies: Do

not drive at an engine speed that is too low. Shift down a gear when the engine

is no longer running smoothly. Observe the recommended gear » page 14, Recommended gear.

CAUTION

All the speed and engine revolution figures apply only when the engine is at its

normal operating temperature. Never rev up a cold engine when the vehicle is

stationary or when driving in individual gears.

For the sake of the environment

Not driving at unnecessarily high engine revolutions and shifting to a higher gear

as early as possible are ways to minimise fuel consumption and operating noise

levels and protects the environment. ?

New tyres

New tyres have to be “run in” since they do not offer optimal grip at first. Take

this into account for the first 500 km and drive particularly carefully. ?

New brake pads

New brake pads initially do not provide full braking efficiency. The brake pads

must initially be “run in”. Take this into account for the first 200 km and drive particularly carefully.

• Like 1

Your engine gets run in while you run the car in.

Watch the tyres untill the Green-ness is off them, (set your tyre pressures and set the TPMS)

Brakes, discs & Pads get worn in a little.

Let the steering, suspension/sprimgs/bushes etc settle, just listen and drive a little easier until things slacken off.

If the brakes heat and tighten you feel the engine needing to work harder.

The oil needs checked a bit as you run in, maybe some needs topped up in the first 3-4K with a vRS.

Just enjoy the new car, a just little easier for a few days. 'Running in done'.

george

Drive it like you stole it!   Our car used oil as it was driven steady for the first few weeks, then we had issues with oil use, many trips to the dealer and a breather modification and still it was using oil to a certain degree.

Then in Feb this year we did a track day with, bouncing the revs round to the red line and generally abusing the car, hey presto!! Oil consumption is now very low.

So, I would drive it like it were a used car, in a normal manner getting use from all the rev range as soon as possible. 

• Like 2

You run your car with a good load on the engine and everything gets warm and therefore prevents the glazing of the bores, whatever it does it stops oil usage and puts a HUGE smile on your face.

• Like 2

first engine i drove it carefully and it used oil, 2nd engine i thrashed it...................and it uses oil

i dont think theres any rhyme or reason to it, it seems to make no difference to my car :(

the only thing id be wary of is the brakes & tyres, let them bed in and then just enjoy the car, oil aside it still makes me smile

• Like 1

Not many 1.4 TSI or TFSI Twincharger Hire Cars available, but what there was, was a few hundred Demonstrators available June, July, Aug 2010, & on from then.  Also some Media & Press cars from 2010/11.

They did not do to well from no running in.

But then they were fixed mostly and got a ECU update or many were in for a engine rebuild.

Then since, the main thing seems to be check the Oil & use 98/99 ron fuel.

& 'fingers crossed'.

Hire cars do not enter the equation.

Courtesy cars being provided while Breather Mods or Oil Consumption Tests or Rebuilds & Replacements engines is.

george

ItalianJob, congrates on the car. Lovely! 

This running in thing perplexes many people. But no need. George is probably one of the most knowledgeable people on the board about Vrs problems and his advice is always good. Take note. FYI, VAG uses 'plato honing' on it's cylinder bores. Most manufacturers do these days. It reduces the need for lengthy run in periods at slow speeds. But the engine, especially the Vrs should still be run in by the book. That does not mean you should drive slowly or use a very light throttle. If you do you'll get problems. That can glaze the bores and rings and the engine will use oil later in life or even quite early in life. As George and others are saying drive it fairly normally but leave out full throttle and very high revs in the early stages of driving it. Let a few hundred miles build and start to increase the amount of work the engine does, increase the revs and load as per the book. If you do that you won't glaze the bores and rings and the engine will/should not use oil later in life or even quite early in life. The other thing that will happen is that using high revs and full throttle too early will not only remove too much metal from the cylinder walls and other bearing surfaces before it has hardened, but will prevent the chemical changes that need to happen to the bearing surfaces in the cylinders and other places in the engine, from happening. This results in shorter engine life overall and can actually cause engine damage prematurely. It's not just about the honing of the bores and rings, it's this chemical change thing too that's vital to the engines life and that's often overlooked. You cannot hurry it.

Edited by Estate Man

I suppose being old and set in my ways I wouldn't dream of thrashing a new engine until it had chance to bed  in. It makes sense to slowly build up to full operating efficiency.  Most large engineering projects are treated this way, even Jumbo Jet engines are tested low power prior to full thrust  :rofl:  :rofl: .

The simplest type of explanation regarding engines might be this,  and sorry if  (when) this sounds stupid.

eg,

Old style cast Frying pans and modern non stick.

(Cast Iron & Carbon Steel, & when new it is porous.)

Some just buy a NEW Cast Pan and start frying,  Cast or Non Stick. It fries food.

Well Chefs and cooks know to Prepare/Season the New Cast Iron pan with Salt before using.

Dry pan, salt in cook at heat, cure the pan. Some use Oil or Oil and salt.

Then wipe clean do not wash.

Many still have 50 year old frying pans.& non stick.

Modern Non Stick/Teflon pans, works straight from the start, but you still should still look after the surface.

Or just do not bother, it might last long enough.

george

I think this has all been covered above, But I will add my voice to the Drive it "normally" crowd.

But wait for the Engine to be warm...

I have had no oil issues and I didnt do any special Running in, Besides the normal getting used to the car in general.

I did about 1500 in the first two weeks which is a lot for how the car is used now.

Its now approaching 30k miles and I have put about 2l of oil in. (With the service Oil Change performed when the car told me to.)

Have fun.. (But not too much) is probably a better wording than Drive it like you Stole it, but gently :D

Edited by Brin
  • Like 2