Octavia "Annoying" Rattle / Vibration ---> Driving me Mad :::(((

daz51

Hi Guys,

I have a 1.9 Tdi 105bhp Octavia estate. At low revs on slightly rougher roads i can hear a very very annoying rattle / vibration.

coming from the front of the car, either in the dash or engine. I presume it happening a higher revs but i can not hear it then. 

The rattle sounds like a very thin piece of aliminium or plastic vibrating. 

I have taken everything out the car thinking it was internal but no luck, emptied all compartments including the glove box. 

some details on the car:- 

No mods

I dont tinker or play with he car

coming up to 50k miles  

car is a 2009 (09) plate 

Only solution at present is turning the stereo up but its worrying me 

Thanks in advance for any help guys

On mine I had a plastic type rattle. It turned out be the air intake from front panel to the air filter housing. It's only push fitted into each other. Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Same here. Pushed them together and the problem was solved! Hope this helps.

FP

Hi,

I also have a O2, same engine as you, while mine is from 2007. Anyway, last year a rattling noise that I was sure came from somewhere in the middle of the dash, drove me nuts. 

I pulled everything apart that I could and tried to find the source. Several time I thought I found it, but I was wrong again and again. 

At the end I figured out that it was the mirror that was vibrating. I had once the front screen changed and they apparently did something wrong so that the actual mirrorholder, which slides onto the part that is glued to the front screen, had some play.

Once I fixed that, the problem was solved and never came back.

Not sure if this is of any relevance for you, but I learned that noise not necessarily comes from the place where one expects it.  

Before you pull the dash apart check the ticket holder.  I've had 2 develop a tiny gap between clip and windscreen that buzzes/rattles just as you describe.  Tap it lightly with your finger - shouldn't make any sound at all.

One other source to consider;

For the first few months of ownership I swore I had a rattle coming from the dash, emptied everything out, poked and prodded. Nada.

Eventually worked it out it was coming from the roof mounted sun glass holder.

It still rattles/vibrates, but I can deal with it now that I know what it is!

Fin

I had a similar problem when moving the car from a stand still just as load was put on the engine. Had to get my dad in the car with the handbrake on, little bit of accelerator and lift the clutch to biting point and went routing around the engine bay.

Turned out it was a bit of plastic that ran along the top of the radiator/condenser and it was a fastner on the drivers side close to the headlight that needed tightening.

I'd get a pic, but I'm offshore. Will try and remember when I'm back.