Octavia 2.0 TDI rear suspension (torsion beam or multilink!?)

Hello! Can someone clarify please!!   :) some sites say  up from 2.0 tdi versions  get multilink rear-suspension, others say 4x4 units and 1.8 TSi... only... (both before vRS launch)

Kind regards,

Sílvio

According to a Norwegian press review the 2.0 TDI does have the independent rear suspension...

There we are...  the doubt remains... :think:  :wonder:

Had they actually gone underneath for a look?

I believe on the Golf the 2.0TDI gets the better suspension, but not on the Octy.

Thats correct. The only diesels to get the independant rear setup in the UK are the 185ps VRS and the 4x4 models. :)

Just heard back from my dealer, to whom I posed the same question, and he confirmed that my 2.0TDI estate will be on a rear multi-link suspension... guess that only in 3/4 weeks I'l know for sure (when  delivery is due) (at last) :love:

According to Autocar's short test of the Octavia 1.6 TDi 4 x 4 estate only the 4 x 4 versions of the estate ( that are available in the UK) get the multi- link suspension set up excluding the VRS of course. But they did say that the differences on road between the two suspension variants were "marginal" so I wouldn't worry which it gets. Certainly my 2.0 TDI Elegance, which comes with the torsion beam suspension is fine, no complaints at all.

My mk2 Octavia Elegance estate 2.0 fsi has multilink. My mk 3 Octavia 1.4 SE estate has torsion beam. In  my opinion the ride and handling of the newer model is notably better. (Other factors no doubt come into play here, such as different chassis and wheelbase).  Of course the mk 3 multi link would probably be better still,  but I am very happy with both the ride and handling of the torsion beam car.

• Like 1

The point is only with themisleading  information available on many reviews  and an "intentional" lack of official technical data regarding  Skoda Octavia... not to worried though, since my current(2006 Renault Megane-II-estate-1.5dCi105) and previous(1988 Renault 21 Nevada GTS) cars were both on torsion bem rear axle with no complaints... and drove for several years my  familys' car  with rigid axle (still a great car) (2001 VW passat variant 1.9TDI 130)

At least at Skoda.de (http://www.skoda-auto.de/index.php?e=348-9-5-2-1) you can check the suspensions for each model.

In Farhwerk section you can check for each model the rear suspension (Hinterachse), where Mehrlenkerachse => multilink and Verbundlenkerachse => torsion beam.

Thus all 4x4,1.8 TSI and VRS are models with multilink.

Edited by Polux
  • Like 1

Quite interesting, that German page, looks like the VW 170hp diesel with 4x4 and DSG never made it into production at Skoda, which means 1.8TSI is the only haldex paired with DSG (6 speed wet clutch). That leaves potential Scout range without 4wd diesel automatic, at least for now.

Petrol:

1.2 and 1.4 have torsion beam

1.8 and 2.0 (vRS) have multilink

Oil:

1.6 and 2.0 have torsion beam

2.0 vRS has multilink

4x4

all with multilink

----------

The 2.0 diesel does have a 150bhp, but it needs to have OVER 150 to get multilink, so it's 1bhp short... :giggle:

That's why I ordered a 1.8TSI instead of 1.4TSI, tho they seem to be very close in performance (1.8TSI is better at higher RPM, but you get 250nm torque on both).

• Like 2

Petrol:

1.2 and 1.4 have torsion beam

1.8 and 2.0 (vRS) have multilink

Oil:

1.6 and 2.0 have torsion beam

2.0 vRS has multilink

4x4

all with multilink

----------

The 2.0 diesel does have a 150bhp, but it needs to have OVER 150 to get multilink, so it's 1bhp short... :giggle:

That's why I ordered a 1.8TSI instead of 1.4TSI, tho they seem to be very close in performance (1.8TSI is better at higher RPM, but you get 250nm torque on both).

So if you buy the 2.0 derv and treat it to a shark attack and take it back to Skoda will they then change the rear suspension to multilink? :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  :bandit:  

So if you buy the 2.0 derv and treat it to a shark attack and take it back to Skoda will they then change the rear suspension to multilink? :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  :bandit:  

Better yet, buy it, dyno it and if luck favours you, take it back for its free upgrade :)

• Like 3