Rattles... (1 engine, 1 interior)

My 5 month old Octy vRS has developed a couple of annoying rattles. The first one is from the engine bay. It started about 2 months ago. The rattle is only noticeable when starting the car from cold (not the usual engine noise) or when pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear and lowish rpm. I have taken it back to the dealer but they could not reproduce the noise. Unfortunately, I was not there at the time! It sounds to me like it's some kind of heatshield. Are there any common problems that this could be?

The second rattle has only starting over the last couple of weeks. It comes from the passenger side trim and sounds like it is coming from around the pillar trim. So I removed the pillar trim to try and pinpoint the noise and couldn't find anything. The noise was still there even with the trim removed.

Any ideas on these?

Thanx

Ok, the trim rattle is getting really annoying now!! And it seems to be worse in these high temperatures. I have just had two of my work colleagues out in the car. All 3 of us have listened closely with the pillar trim between the windscreen and the side window removed. The noise is coming from the upper part of the pillar. I have removed the 3 white clips that hold on the trim and that has not made any difference. There is also a cable there with a couple of clips, I have not removed that yet but holding the clips etc does not seem to make any difference.

Is there anything inside the pillar i.e. between the two parts of the metal chassis that are welded together? It doesn't look to me like there is but the noise definately sounds like it is coming from there.

Can anyone help :(

• 3 weeks later...

I have got the same nosie- on the nearside- mine is a metallic sound and is only heard when over rough road. I thought it was coming from the same place that you have checked so I'll give that a miss and maybe try inside the door trim. And for your engine sound- is it a vibrating nosie and can you hear it more if you rev the engine high and let go of the pedal- if so I know the problem. If you take off the black engine cover at the back on top of the engine is a small black plastic box and it rests on the engine you just need to stick a couple of strips of foam tap to the bottom of it. Cheers Mark

Window regulators are favourite for coming loose, though I have only come across this in higher mileage octavias and it has always been the drivers side.

Does it seem to be coming from the A post between the front windscreen and front passenger door? - it could be the door chattering on the hinges, adjusting the striker plate may resolve this. The problem with rattles is that they can appear to be coming from a place different to their source. Rattles from the back seats are usually cured by winding the adjustment grommets out to take up any free play in the backrest latching mechanism.

Not wanting to sound alarmist, I have heard of one case where a persitent clonking/thudding noise was tracked down to a broken spot weld in the sill area.

I have the same problem on my 2002 Octavia estate, Main dealer has had it in twice but cant/wont find problem as it is intermittent and only does it above a certain temperature. They said it was the back seats rattling (why is it that all garage mechanics treat you like you are stupid....). After some investigation I have tracked it down to the rubber concertina thing that carries the wires from the door pillar into the door. Spraying it with copious amounts of silicone interior polish temporarily cures the noise but it still comes back after 2 or 3 weeks. I might try vaseline on it for a more permanent answer.

I have got the same nosie- on the nearside- mine is a metallic sound and is only heard when over rough road. I thought it was coming from the same place that you have checked so I'll give that a miss and maybe try inside the door trim. And for your engine sound- is it a vibrating nosie and can you hear it more if you rev the engine high and let go of the pedal- if so I know the problem. If you take off the black engine cover at the back on top of the engine is a small black plastic box and it rests on the engine you just need to stick a couple of strips of foam tap to the bottom of it. Cheers Mark

Hi Mark,

The car went back to the dealership this week and they tried for ages to locate the rattle from around the pillar trim, with no success. It is a metallic rattle and does only do it on rough roads - we probably have the same problem...

One of the tech's thinks that the engine rattle is related to the dump valve. He said that they can wear out and rattle at higher mileage (but mine has only got 6000 on the clock!). Good tip about the plastic box though, I will try and take the engine cover off today and have a look.

Cheers

Wayne

Does it seem to be coming from the A post between the front windscreen and front passenger door? - it could be the door chattering on the hinges' date=' adjusting the striker plate may resolve this. The problem with rattles is that they can appear to be coming from a place different to their source. Rattles from the back seats are usually cured by winding the adjustment grommets out to take up any free play in the backrest latching mechanism.

[/quote']

Yes, the rattle is coming from the A pillar between the front windscreen and front passenger door. I'll have a look at the hinge too :thumbup:

The problem with rattles is that they can appear to be coming from a place different to their source. Rattles from the back seats are usually cured by winding the adjustment grommets out to take up any free play in the backrest latching mechanism.

Mine was making a rattling noise which was driving me crazy! I was convinced that it was coming from where the trim and headlining come together...

To cut a long(ish) story short I read on here about adjusting the backseat grommets - just a couple of turns either side and the rattle has been cured!!! :thumbup:

With regards to the rattle under the bonnet - mine doesn't do this but I think I have read somewhere on here that there is a cable which runs up the drivers side of the engine bay which can vibrate against the suspension turret to cause a tapping noise. A 'search' may reveal a more technical explanation!!!

Hope some of this may be of some help :)

Hi Wayne, I decided to investigate my rattle, and I sat behind the passenger seat and tapped either side of the front seat and I found a noise similar to the one I was hearing was coming from the plastic nob that controls the back support (not the lumbar one). I found it a little loose and pulled it off and decided to smear a lot of pertoleum jelly on the inside to cushion it and put it back on. I tapped the seat again and that noise has gone. I didnt do a test drive straight away and played a bit more with the ratchet system, I didnt find anything from that. I then went on a drive and the noise has gone whoopydee!!!. Now whether it is from the plastic nob or by messing about with the ratchet i dont honestly know. But its worth a try. Mark

Hi Mark' date='

The car went back to the dealership this week and they tried for ages to locate the rattle from around the pillar trim, with no success. It is a metallic rattle and does only do it on rough roads - we probably have the same problem...

One of the tech's thinks that the engine rattle is related to the dump valve. He said that they can wear out and rattle at higher mileage (but mine has only got 6000 on the clock!). Good tip about the plastic box though, I will try and take the engine cover off today and have a look.

Cheers

Wayne[/quote']

• 2 years later...