Steering wheel shaking when breaking from 70-60mph

Hello my friends,

another problem on my 2.5V6 Trip, that I would like your advice on: When I break, as it goes down from about 70mph to about 60mph, the steering wheel jiggles quite a bit. It calms down when it hits a lower speed.

I haven't had it looked at yet, but I wonder if any of you have had similar experience. Any suggestions? Breaks? Alignment? Rods?

Thanks

George

I would try some good heavy braking. Find an empty road and several times brake hard from say 50 to 10. If it is the discs it will more likely be crud on the discs rather than them actually being warped.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

In addition to above, I would try swapping the wheels front to rear.  If the nature of the shake changes (or disappears) it will be more likely the problem is wheel balance.

That is a great idea and very simple to check! Thanks Robjon :-)

• 3 weeks later...

And while the wheels are off, some fine grit sandpaper on the disks, to take uneven brake pad material off the surfaces... then brake cleaner spray to wash the **** off.  It might just cure it.  If not cured, and swapping wheels back to front does not change the situation then you have a guaranteed warped disk or two.

Also be aware if out of balance wheels are causing your car to shake under braking then you also need new shocks.  In addition to re-doing the balance of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

One perished front tyre later, wheels rebalanced,replaced perished CV boots (which nicely coated the insides of my wheels in a wonderful mixture of grease and break dust - aaaarrggh!), the problem remains. Garage confirmed that warped disk is probably the issue, although won't know until changed and I'm not planning to change until pads wear down. I'll just have to live with the shudder I guess...

While I'm at it, does anyone have suggestions for pads that shed less dust? Two days afte a wash, my wheels are covered again. It's getting tedious... Thanks!

• 3 months later...

*UPDATE*

So, brake light came on and I had to make a quick decision as I was looking at a weekend with over 500 miles of motorway ahead of me. Didn't want to risk the brakes being low.

I picked up a set of standard front disks and pads from Euro Car Parts (I think they were Pagid, if I remember correctly) for the grand sum of £150.94 and had them fitted for another £40.

All the jitters disappeared (once off, you could actually SEE that the old disks have had it), breaking is now strong and smooth and as an added bonus it looks that they are shedding less soot than the previous ones. God only knows what cheap rubbish had been put on before I got the car!

Problem solved! :thumbup: :yes:

• Like 4