GTA V ***Spoilers/Chat***

vRS19TD

Necromancy!

I could have started a new one, but thought I'd dive back into this thread; Who's looking at Red Dead Redemption 2 Online next month?

Still only just started the single player campaign really, but will dip into online when it starts as I think this could be great if handled right. I expect most GTAers to at least try RDR so we may have a day1 posse going, maybe?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mort said:

Necromancy!

I could have started a new one, but thought I'd dive back into this thread; Who's looking at Red Dead Redemption 2 Online next month?

Still only just started the single player campaign really, but will dip into online when it starts as I think this could be great if handled right. I expect most GTAers to at least try RDR so we may have a day1 posse going, maybe?

I am definitely up for this, slowly getting through single player, and looking forward to seeing how they are going to work online. 

11 hours ago, vRS19TD said:

I’m on the fence with RDR2. I never played the first one and the thought of playing a game riding horses and the potential  for Rockstar to ruin online with flying horses, death machines, etc just doesn’t make me want to buy the game.

I do worry about how R* plan to monetise online in the long run. There's a massive host of mundane customisation options in single player, gun engravings, colours, scopes etc. So I think they'll start as they did with GTA and have a cut-down version of the main game. If they continue that with story driven updates like GTA did in the beginning then it'll be fine for a while.

I don't see how they can write in the stuff that has ruined GTA without really breaking the USP of the game, but when it comes to shark cards I'm sure they'll eventually figure a way.

But online aside; if you're not just after the maniacal non-stop action of GTA and don't mind a slower paced game then RDR and RDR2 are fantastic single-player games. Especially for completionists, if you're into side quests and maxing out crafting and exploration goals. I spent almost 2 hours last night mostly just hunting deer and game to get some pelts for crafting. (I also visited a sharpshooter and got into a small war with about 20 bounty hunters who had a truck with a gatling gun on it, so it's not all slow.)

I pre-ordered simply for the single player experience. After playing the first one I was happy this would be value for money. If I can get a semi-decent online experience out of it then that's a bonus. If it can keep me interested for a couple of years or more like GTA did then I'll just be extra happy. As I said, the potential for online is HUGE. But it'll depend on how much they centre it around microtransactions over player experiences. The single-player game is very immersive and almost role-play centred that if they GTA'd it then you'd lose a lot of what makes RDR what it is compared to just being a period-piece GTA.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, vRS19TD said:

I’m getting tempted to buy RDR2 now. When is online coming out??

Is there any realistic advantage to buying the ‘Special’ or ‘Ultimate’ edition over the standard apart from outfits and weapons??

Online was touted as 'November', so pretty imminent, but could be in beta for a while before full release. R* have been quite tight lipped about it so far. If it follows the schedule of GTA/GTA Online release then it's due this Friday, but I'd not be surprised it it was end of the month really. 

I got the Special edition I think, simply as it had an extra story mission included, but unless you're desperate to get a head start in online or the extra cosmetic bits then standard will be fine. You also get GTA$ for the various specials if you're still online for that. But the premium is only slightly better than a shark card so not a game-changer.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Mort, I have the preorder version which came with the warhorse and the survival kit. Neither of the bonus’s are real game changers. The war horse is very average and the survival kit is just full of things that are easily found in the game.

one of the best horses is available for free, and you can get it pretty much as soon as you start the game. It’s just a case of finding and taming it. 

Personally I would just buy the standard game, almost everything else is easy enough to get in game anyway.

Stop procrastinating people. Online is coming soon and it will help if you know how to play it before online arrives.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just did the bank robbery in Chapter 3  and I now have a surplus of $3,000. Camp is fully upgraded and I own all the guns and clothing I realistically feel I need (that can be bought rather than crafted, anyway).

I've just figured out that the economy in Online is going to be very broken and wonder exactly how mission rewards are going to work in the wake of having much less to spend on. And in a game where 50c buys you a bath or a shot of whiskey I think buying the new Grotti Mustang Thoroughbred 1bhp superhorse for $120,000 is going to seem a little excessive.

Still interested to see if they have a solution for this up their sleeves though.

• Like 1

Beta tomorrow then!

Well, Wednesday for me as I didn’t want to throw my mortgage at a videogame.

Looks like posse’s are up to 7 players. From the sounds of the announcement it looks positive for a start. We’ll see how microtransactions fit in...

Excited, but also realise I’m less than 50% through the single player campaign, so might have to join online late (after a quick gander at beta, obviously).

• Like 1

Also Wednesday for me.

i have finished the story missions, been grinding through all the collectibles. Currently on 95.9%, just gotta finish the hunter requests and the challenges for 100%.

i am definitely ready for online.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really played online much.

done a couple of freeroam missions and a few of the story missions. Doesn’t seem too different from single player,other than the fact that I get bullied by higher level players with better weapons.

Made the mistake a few days ago of putting down my controller and going to make a drink. Came back to find someone had tied me up and was in the process of throwing me off a cliff.

I think it would be a lot better playing as a posse rather than playing alone, alone I tend to become a target.

we need to get the Brisky Bandits Posse sorted and start dominating online.

• Like 1

I just ran the first horse theft mission as I'm still completing the story. Didn't like that it forced me into matchmaking even though it said the mission was 1-4 players.

Made me laugh as memories of my MMO days came back; as in the middle of a large firefight all of my 'teammates' started looting the bodies I'd shot, while ignoring the actual bad guys still shooting, and leaving me to deal with them. At least GTA didn't have to deal with loot theft.

Definitely a 'play with friends' game!

• Like 1