Fitted 42 Draft Designs Gear shifter bushings. Wow

Bowders1

Fitted 42 Draft Designs Gear shifter bushings

Finally got round to fitting these today with some other stuff.

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-Shifter-Bushing-Set--Mk4-56S-MY02-05_p_279.html

The idea of these bushings is to tighten up the gear shifter linkage and make it more positive.

I was meant to fit these when i fitted Verdict Motorsport shift bracket bushings some time back which again reduce the movement of linkage and bracket by using solid bushes. 

http://www.verdictmotorsports.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0100

Fitted here:

Can see the solid bushes on the right of pic

MyPictures134.jpg

MyPictures136.jpg

I also decided to get new Selector cable ends to fit the 42 draft bushings in. Which if i mess up have back up.

Seen here:

2013-09-20163125_zps907e0887.jpg

The Part Numbers for the cable ends anyone interested are these:

1J0711761B

1J0711761C

There are 2 P/N because although they look the same the have different size center holes. One for side to side gear selection and one for up and down gear selection. The 42 Draft design bushes also have different holes to match

First job was to fit the 42 Draft design bushes into the new cable ends

To do this you need to press out the rubber inserts. Use a flat screw driver and push down each corner. You need to break the thin plastic lugs that hold the rubber /plastic insert in place. (these are not needed on the solid bushes)

2013-09-20163804_zpsc7f6ffc8.jpg

Fit in each half of the solid bush to both sides of the cable ends

2013-09-20163848_zps7d76536c.jpg

Finished Asm. You can see the old rubber bush is "voided" in the center which causes play and sloppy linkage as apposed to the solid bearing bush  

2013-09-20164103_zps52d7e489.jpg

I would also recommend you follow this gear shifter adjustment vid to make the best of the gear linkage change. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sheTKD03hmo

In fact I followed the early steps to be able to remove linkage cable ends as you will need to lock the selector in place anyway.

So start by locking the gear selector arm in place with car in neutral by pushing down on the selector arm and pushing in the black plastic locking lug and turning it clockwise 1/4 turn. 

Then lock the gear lever in place using a 5mm drill or similar as vid shows.

Then you can go back to the gearbox and on the 2 cable ends where they are attached to selector arm and bracket by small circlips just use a flat screwdriver and lift the top up and slide sideways

can see the little clips to the side of the pic below

2013-09-20163059_zpsd201ca44.jpg

Then you can release the cable ends from the selector and arms and pull them off the linkage cables.

Now replace with the new cable ends and bushes

pic here of the fitted and ready to be released to linkage cables

2013-09-20170424_zps9f5c46e0.jpg

and released

2013-09-20170546_zpsaffbfd3d.jpg

Then you can remove the 5mm drill from gear lever and unlock gear selector arm and job done

(follow vid if needed)

The result on gear change is amazing.

I never thought it could improve as my gear change was quite good anyway with the verdict bushings and a recent linkage adjustment, But i kid you not the gear change is a lot more positive.and not sloppy at all.

This was well worth the £37 posted for the bushes  :thumbup:

• Like 2

I've got them in my six speed 02M from a LCR so I see no reason why they wouldn't fit a Tdi box....

They make the gear shift feel so positive,it's amazing how much these little mods change the car! ;-)

• Like 1

Now you need a b&m short shifter and put std arm back where the forge thing is ;-)

Now that is one awesome bit of kit.

Looks good and well priced and wont ever need to be changed again

Seems worth it. Might get some for my fabia