What an afternoon :(

Stormchaser

Went to my garage to get the car out for work. Started and reversed out but the car was reluctant to move. Gets out after forcing it backwards and my o/s/f tyre is completely flat. I panicked as I didn't have time to faff around. No spare wheel. Great!!!

I got the compressor out and connected it up. It fills the tyre very quickly but it's very noisey. Anyway I got it Upto 35psi and could hear a hissing sound on the edge if the outer wall. It was a small hole with something in it. Quickly blasted off down the road to my local tyre company with the steering getting worse quickly. I was worried about the rim being damaged. As I got there it was almost flat again. The guy whipped it off and said he'll be about 10 mins. Thankfully it was repairable and seems ok now. Only £16 to get it done :)

Saved me the price of a Continental tyre too.

So that's it I'm ordering a spare wheel and kit now. Don't fancy that situation again.

£100 from the dealer plus about £40 for a budget tyre.

Also the Sport has locking wheel nuts but I expect you knew that. Sorry for waffling on but feel better now :)

Forgot to say it was a piece of glass in the tyre.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Sorry to hear of the puncture but as I was reading the story I was feeling rather relieved to have ordered a spare for my yet to be delivered Citigo.

Mind you, 16 quid for repairs sounds alright.

Edited by staib

Thanks. Yes it was a straight forward plug in repair but it was near the wall.

I'd recommend anyone to get a spare wheel and toolkit. That's what I've always been used to. The compressor is very handy to have. It inflated mine from flat to 35 psi in less than 2 mins :)

Thanks. Yes it was a straight forward plug in repair but it was near the wall.

I'd recommend anyone to get a spare wheel and toolkit. That's what I've always been used to. The compressor is very handy to have. It inflated mine from flat to 35 psi in less than 2 mins :)

How did they repair if near the wall? I didn't think you could, or certainly no where I've ever tried will if within 1"

It was just inwards of the tread on the outer wall I'd say about half inch from that. He said he drilled the hole plugged it and bonded and sealed around inside. Successful repair with 6 months guarantee :)

Oh dear...

Lucky your not far from a tyre fitter, and at least it didn't cost much to repair :thumbup:

I didnt have the option of ordering a spare as mine was a pre reg, but I've ditched the compressor and slime and bought a used alloy and tyre off ebay.

You never know if something might happen in the middle of nowhere.

Plus I always carry a double foot pump (which ive had in my last 27 cars)

Better to be safe than sorry I say

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this, right when it matters the most and time not on your side.  I always order a spare wheel, sort of old school and I know where I am if I have a spare wheel with me. 

• Like 2

£16 is a lot for a puncture repair. We got a puncture the day after we got our Citigo (we did have a spare), and it only cost £5 for a repair!

Did include a re balance of wheel.

Mind you last year it was £12.

Sadly the Touran doesn't have room for a spare :(

Since chucking the battery and crap in my spare wheel well, my space saver sits behind the passenger seat in the footwell.  I've yet to use it, but I know the moment I decide to run without it, I'll get a puncture....

• Like 1

£16 is a lot for a puncture repair.  We got a puncture the day after we got our Citigo (we did have a spare), and it only cost £5 for a repair!

To take a tyre off, repair it, put it back on and balance that's so cheap I'm surprised it's worthwhile.

Factor in half an hour of a guys time plus overheads... they aren't making anything.

Minimum wage plus £2 towards the tyre plug and machine for every customer?

• Like 1

I think people are to hung up on the spare wheel vs slime debate. Most people I know wouldn't change a tyre even if they had one ready to go. Sounds like the guy who started the thread may have inflated his tyre and driven it round to the tyre shop even with a full size spare in the boot.

Sounds like the guy who started the thread may have inflated his tyre and driven it round to the tyre shop even with a full size spare in the boot.

Think you totally misread all this.

I haven't got a spare wheel and toolkit in the car hence why I'm having to buy one. The tyre fitters are 3 miles from where I live and luckily it was a small hole in the tyre. I made it there just on one inflation. IF I had a spare wheel in the boot I would of changed it there and then as iam a PSV fitter and totally capable.