help needed ASAP! :(

softlad1988

I have just fitted a recon turbo and now the car will not rev over 3000rpm and it is filling the road with thick black smoke. I have fitted a new MAF sensor and a new MAP sensor. I have checked all the hoses and i cant find any holes. The intercooler has been cleaned and i am really struggling now!!! Two local garages have failed to sort the problem now! i really need help! :( 

Last time I refurbed a turbo was a few years ago... my car back then, a corsa d, was struggling to rev too. Solved it by fiddling with the actuator mate. Poss been set incorrectly by the refurb co? Try rotating it abit and see if that helps? I kept turning it abit and taking the car for a spin, until it achieved the correct performance. Something to consider maybe?

Is that realy such a good idea? the actuator has green paint on it as an anti tamper mark so it should be a set length to preload the actuator spring so that when the boost control solenoid operates the actuator controls properly. Is that correct???

Thats correct. They are marked. But so was mine when I got it back. The refurb company must have had to re-mark it mate after the refurb. I dealt with global turbos in bham. They said they set it to stock settings after refurb. But it wasn't.

Maybe change it a tiny bit and see if it makes a difference? You could always line the marker back up if you don't feel a difference?

Ok so after many hours trying to find something wrong with the car, we striped the turbo back off and found that the oil return pipe had collasped causing a big restriction in oil flow for the turbo. But would this cause the turbo to not spool up correctly??? im confused now!!

Ok so after many hours trying to find something wrong with the car, we striped the turbo back off and found that the oil return pipe had collasped causing a big restriction in oil flow for the turbo. But would this cause the turbo to not spool up correctly??? im confused now!!

Yeah, I think you've found your problem.My engine was a tad low on oil and on cold start if I didn't allow a few minutes for the oil to pump round the turbo wouldn't spool up properly. It made a terrible high pitched noise with no boost. Oil topped up and now no problems from cold start.

It is always best to change the oil feed and return pipe aswell when changing the turbo.  Shame the garage did not recommend this to you at the time.  I dont see how it could just collapse though?.

Edited by RAPTURE

It is always best to change the oil feed and return pipe aswell when changing the turbo.  Shame the garage did not recommend this to you at the time.  I dont see how it could just collapse though?.

+1

From what I remember it states in the workshop manual that you must change the oil pipes when changing / removing turbo :doh: