Need tyre recommendation for front tyres on Octy VRS

Decender

As above really. My front tyres have just got down to the 3mm mark on my Mk1 Octavia VRS so im looking to replace them. Im currently running 225/45/17 Continental Contact Sport 3's and have been fairly happy with them. My problem is that it has come at the wrong time really and only have around £150 to spend on the pair so looking for recommendations.

A good friend of mine works for Kwik Fit Mobile and has recommended me a tyre by Capitol. Its the Capitol Eco 007 and comes out at a list price of £76.70 each including fitting and balance but with discount i can have the pair for £130. Now my research tells me that they are infact made by Nexen. They do however have very good ratings: C for Efficiency and A for Wet Grip with a noise level of 71db. Now I know thats not everything but its a start.

Can anyone else shed some light on what they would recommend for this budget as to be fair im not used to trying to save money when it comes to tyres. Its just a wrong time, wrong place situation.

Cheers

Dazz

I managed to get a pair of Continental Sport Contact 2's from Mytyres for 158 quid delivered! Admittedly SC2's are an older tyre so it will have been old stock but doesn't mean they're not amazing! Just a heads up if you can still get any before they sell out! 

What about a set of hankooks, i have a set of there winters on my spiders and there great and not that expensive really,

My pro race wheels need some new boots on front and seriously thinking about trying a set of the hankook ventus evos and there 75 quid each on camskills website

Having never heard of Capitol and not had amazing feedback of Nexen, I think I would steer clear!

When friends talk about cheap tyres (but by cheap I mean like remoulds, WingWong ditch finder £30 specials) I always ask how much their excess is on their insurance. Inevitably it is £200-400 to get the yearly price downl. Then I explain about a cheap tyre and wet weather could be the difference between you stopping behind the car in front and stopping 4 ft into their car, thus neatly causing an instant excess payout and extra insurance costs in the future. They suddenly find an extra £50 or so to get a mid range type tyre (Falken ZE-914 for instance). 

In this case you have a reasonable budget but just need to find something to suit with perhaps a minor price adjustment. 

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s16p97915/Falken_Tyres_Car_Falken_ZE914_Ziex_Ecorun_Falken_ZE_914_-_225_45_R17_94W_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB 

£76 ea and would your matey fit them for you?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s16p106878/Hankook_Tyres_Car_Hankook_K110_Ventus_V12_Evo_Hankook_K_110_-_225_45_R17_94Y_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

£75.70 (ran these on my PD140 Estate for 3 years - loved them!)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s16p97483/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport2_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_2_-_225_45_R17_94V_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

£73.90

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s16p108171/Avon_Tyres_Car_Avon_ZZ3_Avon_ZZ_3_-_225_45_R17_91Y_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

£67.70

• Like 1