No power when cold.

Hi, just wondering if anyone else had ever had this problem. Started my 2.0 diesel up this morning and only noticed it was down on power as I was climbing a slight incline, felt like the turbo wasn't running. I carried on until I got a engine fault workshop warning and flashing orange springy thingy (heater coil or summat?) on my dash. I pulled over and switched the engine off and back on again and everything was ok. It's booked in the garage on Saturday but would like an idea of the fault before then if possible. Cheers Dan

I've been out in it today and again there is no power while cold. About a mile down the road it had got its power back. I've read elsewhere that some diesels close a valve which let's the engine warm up quicker. There was no warning lights on the dash today. The car was left about fifteen minutes and when I got back in it drove perfectly.

I've been out in it today and again there is no power while cold. About a mile down the road it had got its power back. I've read elsewhere that some diesels close a valve which let's the engine warm up quicker. There was no warning lights on the dash today. The car was left about fifteen minutes and when I got back in it drove perfectly.

Isn't that valve the EGR?

Exactly the same happened to me last month a little laggy and the lights on the dash. Drove it for a week no real problems until no turbo whatsoever on occasion. Turning off and on again got back to the laggy phase but not quite right. £1400 including days labour later. I have a new turbo fluids and seals. Ouch.

Good luck!

Damo

Sent from iPhone

Big ouch. I could really do with mine not being the turbo. I've found the warning light only comes on on mine if I put the engine under load soon after starting it. Never heard ewt from my mechanic over the weekend, I'll make sure I see him tonight.

Update on what's wrong in case anyone has the same fault. Turns out its a pressure sensor from the dpf that's showing it's partially blocked and reducing the power, clears as I drive it. Seems the driving miss daisy driving style I have hasn't done it much good in the 8 months I've had it. If anyone sees a grey flash drive past it's me giving my dpf a blowout. That goes for you officer an all. Going to have a look at removal and maybe hide the remap in the price from the wife. Has anyone had any experience of this?

There is a known problem with dpf pressure sensor failures, especially on earlier cars, causing spurious dpf regens. I don't have a dpf, but I seem to remember that a new sensor fixes it (VCDS needed, apparently). £50 for the part and really easy fitting. The defective ones were US made and the replacements were not IIRC. Lots of threads on here about it.

But I think these failed at much lower mileages; a lot were under warranty.

These had similar symptoms, but not related to engine temperature IIRC.

On the other hand, what is the life of a dpf???

Presumably, one day it will be full of ash and need chucking out?

Edited by CombatWombat

Exactly the same happened to me last month a little laggy and the lights on the dash. Drove it for a week no real problems until no turbo whatsoever on occasion. Turning off and on again got back to the laggy phase but not quite right. £1400 including days labour later. I have a new turbo fluids and seals. Ouch.

Good luck!

Damo

Sent from iPhone

Had mine changed 2 weeks ago £425 all in, got the new turbo from Gap turbos and a gasket set for £300