Pulling to one side

Woody91

Hi George

The pull to the left is beyond newness, we have loads of skodas in work and i have driven a few of them from brand new, low miles, loads of miles, none of them pull to the left like the wifes Fabia, i understand what your saying as cars can feel a little odd when brand new until they settle in, and as an advanced and ROSPA driver/motorcyclist I understand torque steer and road camber, but no car or bike should pull to the left, on my own bike and my work bike i can ride no hands with no directional change and run straight as a die and believe me bikes are a lot more sensitive to alignment and camber issues than cars, i should not have to put pressure on the right side of the steering wheel to maintain a straight course, but i have faith in skoda and my local dealer that this will be sorted ASAP, ive also emailed Skoda UK to make them aware of the issue.

Pete

Edited by pistolpete559
  • Like 1

Well had my monte new February this year, in for its first service this week, mentioned to dealer in Lincoln that it's pulling to left, they confirmed this and said they needed it back next week and it would need an alignment check and it was going to cost me £78 should I be paying for this or not? Yes it's got dunlops on.

No  

Its Free

Its under WARRANTY

Had my car new Jan13. After 3 Re alignments Skoda put new tyres F&R Pirelli Pzero. Pull now gone.

Do Not Pay for anything its faulty take it back. They do not all do it. Full stop.

Sorry for shouting but the dealers are trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Good luck

CD

• Like 2

No i would not be paying.

Part of your Service was a Road Test and Report.

They now know it is pulling to the left.   If it has always been doing this since you got it and you have not Kerbed it, then it is a possible Warranty Issue,

Tell them to check the Technical Notice from Skoda & to get your car performing correctly and safely.

If they need to check with Skoda,

Then that is would they should do and get Authorisation to do the Alignment Check and Adjustment under Warranty.

george

Strangely we are now running our Monte on directional Uniroyal winter tyres without issue, after getting the natural left hand turn sorted earlier this year. This had effected the car from new, with either the factory directional Dunlops and our previous asymmetric Avon ST winters fitted.

Seems our car suffered from both incorrect factory alignment and the 'Dunlop effect'.

TP

Been waiting for dealers to put on some donor wheels to see if it will stop the pull to the left for 3 weeks they have them but not got in touch to have them fitted. But today i got a puncher in the front tyre  (Nail right on the edge) tyre went down straight away and ran on the wall so cannot be repaired 

Does anyone know if it is the tyres that are causing the pull i will get 4 tyres and not 3 (if you know what i mean

This link gets put in various threads on pulling left,

reason being it can be relevant. It is certainly worth considering and talking to a Technician or Tyre Fitter about. IMO.

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=165

That thread is brilliant, I knew about the yellow dot as even on new cars the tyres are rarely fitted correctly and if you mention it you invariably get a blank stare, I didn't know about the bands round the tyre though!

The car has now been with my dealer for 4 days, it has had 2 wheel alignments done and been fitted with donor wheels, the donor wheels had Conties on and apparently is driving straight, Skoda now want to put my wheels with Dunlop tyres back on and get the wheels aligned again!!!! to see if the pull is still there, Skoda UK have been in touch and say if the next wheel alignment does not fix the pull they will authorise the fitting of new tyres more than likely the conties as these are the tyres the tech used and reported no pulling.

This is great if when i get the car back there is no pulling to the left, however why do i have the feeling that it will still pull with the new conties fitted  :wonder:

They are taking the Pith.

'4 days',  lots of possible work hours,

what is the thing they are doing, or does the cars just sit around for days.?

I hope they fitted the other Wheels and tyres after the first alignment being done on the car with your tyres,  and then doing a road test,

then road tested as was set on the Borrowed Wheels/Tyres.

??What is it these Alignments are telling them, then what adjustment are they doing?

Ask them? 

Ask to see the Reports / Print Outs, ask for copies to Show a Professional.

Call Skoda UK and tell them to have the Skoda Dealership fit new tyres if they are required

and have the car ready for collection tonight or Tomorrow morning.

They know what the problem is.

If it comes back to you not pulling to the left it is as it should be, what ever tyres are fitted then job done..

If not,  tell them 'Skoda UK' it is time to take the Car To Skoda, to the Skoda Trained Technicians & Engineers or whoever,

and tyre technicians and see what is wrong with cars they build and sell in the UK.,

it is about time they made an effort.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/what-we-check-and-why/four-wheel-alignment

george

Yes the **** has been extracted and i don't even have enough left to be '****ed off'

The wheel alignment is telling them the car is perfectly aligned as the first day i dropped the car of i waited around to have the first alignment check done and the tyre tech guy walked back in with my (the wife's) keys shrugged his shoulders and told the service desk 'perfect, nothing wrong with the alignment' of course they didn't know i had heard him, numpty's, the service guy came round the corner and said 'it was slightly out and now it should be fine' to which i replied 'that's funny i just heard what the tyre guy said!!! red faces lol, so i went for a drive round the block, brought the car straight back and booked it in for Tuesday past.

Believe it or not it is Skoda's warranty dept that are holding up everything and asking for all the needless alignments to be done, i have had daily contact with both Skoda UK and my dealer to ensure they are both singing of the same hymn sheet

If it still pulls to the left when i pick it up and has the conties on then i will give my dealer the ultimatum, get Pirelli tyres on now or there are the keys

Pete 

• Like 1

My dealer is just of the phone and the car is going to AUDI to have a full wheel alignment and diagnostic carried out again!!, of course this cant happen to Monday, then the report need's sent to Skoda UK, then they decide if it get's new tyres or not!!

I have to admit my dealer has been great on this matter and has said they will endeavour to get Pirelli tyres fitted and they are certain Skoda UK will agree this is the only fix, however i still find it mind boggling that it is going to take well over a week to get this sorted, whenever Skoda know there is a problem and how to fix it and their factory trained technicians have proved the car pulls to the left, do they not trust their own people!!! F*****G W*****S

Ah well looks like another £10 of derv into their VAG parts bin (rapid)

ahhhhhhhhhh why wont this forum let me swear properly 

LOL,

There are people from SKODA UK that read this forum, & from Dealerships.

(i send them enough links.)

** What an embarrassment that must be to have a car for 4 days and then have to send it to an Audi Garage 

for someone Qualified and Efficient to do something rather straightforward.***

These Dealerships are often very nice,

& so are Skoda UK Customer Services,  but they are hopeless in many cases.

They will no doubt go on about Customer Satisfaction Surveys, Tables and Reliability, they should actually be ashamed of some Franchised Dealers,

& their products.

ALASDAIR STEWART, SKODA UK BRAND DIRECTOR,

needs to get the company he represents to get their act together.

I hope Points Mean Prizes with his Performance Bonus, it will be a lean Xmas then.

• Like 1

My dealer is just of the phone and the car is going to AUDI to have a full wheel alignment and diagnostic carried out again!!, of course this cant happen to Monday, then the report need's sent to Skoda UK, then they decide if it get's new tyres or not!!

I have to admit my dealer has been great on this matter and has said they will endeavour to get Pirelli tyres fitted and they are certain Skoda UK will agree this is the only fix, however i still find it mind boggling that it is going to take well over a week to get this sorted, whenever Skoda know there is a problem and how to fix it and their factory trained technicians have proved the car pulls to the left, do they not trust their own people!!! F*****G W*****S

Ah well looks like another £10 of derv into their VAG parts bin (rapid)

ahhhhhhhhhh why wont this forum let me swear properly

Sir, I would be approaching Skoda UK to see what gesture of goodwill they are offering you for the inconvenience....

I was thinking that myself, what sort of thing do you think i should ask for? my servicing is already free and i have a 3 year warranty, and im unlikely to keep the car after 3 years anyway

Will you do more than the 30k covered by the free servicing? If yes then ask for a major service adding to your plan.

If not then are there any accessories you would like but, didn't originally purchase?

Its very unlikely we will do more than 30k as i use my bike for work and the wife works 4 miles from home, i will have a look at the accessories catalogue, i think i will ask for mudflaps as i was told they cannot be fitted to a vRS and have since found out from this forum that they can

cheers

Edited by pistolpete559

Had new tyre fitted today and told fitter about the pull to the left so he checked alignment with laser for free and said all spot on. So if the donor wheels stop the pull to the left new tyres i think 

Got the car back today and as if by magic it drives straight, so the problem was indeed the Dunlop tyres, Skoda fitted 4 Pirelli P Zero Nero and the car feels perfect, and a big thanks to the service department in Mervyn Stewart who fitted the unfitable mudflaps !! Thanks guys20131128_140739_zps8f280446.jpg

Ok silly question but do I bring my car into Skoda? I've had the tracking done and it's still pulling to the left. My car isn't gradual it's very sudden and sometimes I feel like I am really holding my car away from the curb! Would be great if I could have some answers :) my car is coming up to 2 years old and has done 31,000 (yes I've done them all)

Ok silly question but do I bring my car into Skoda? I've had the tracking done and it's still pulling to the left. My car isn't gradual it's very sudden and sometimes I feel like I am really holding my car away from the curb! Would be great if I could have some answers :) my car is coming up to 2 years old and has done 31,000 (yes I've done them all)

As far as i am aware the problem is with the Dunlop tyres fitted to the 17" Gigaro alloys on vRS and Monte Carlo models , so if you have these fitted then you will more than likely experience the pulling to the left, has your car felt like this from new? I doubt Skoda would change the tyres with 31k on them. I would get in touch with your dealer and get the car looked at under warranty. Mine felt exactly the same as yours, read through this thread and others to get a proper idea of whats going on and what other's are doing about it

As far as i am aware the problem is with the Dunlop tyres fitted to the 17" Gigaro alloys on vRS and Monte Carlo models , so if you have these fitted then you will more than likely experience the pulling to the left, has your car felt like this from new? I doubt Skoda would change the tyres with 31k on them. I would get in touch with your dealer and get the car looked at under warranty. Mine felt exactly the same as yours, read through this thread and others to get a proper idea of whats going on and what other's are doing about it

Mine has continental sport contact 2's and mine pulls to the left bad at first then changed front to back made the pull a little better. Having a donor set of pirelli's fitted to see if it sorts the problem if it does new tires 

Mine has continental sport contact 2's and mine pulls to the left bad at first then changed front to back made the pull a little better. Having a donor set of pirelli's fitted to see if it sorts the problem if it does new tires 

Pirelli's will sort the problem, like night and day

Mine has been fitted with Pirelli P Zeros and the pull is still there.

If anything it's worse as the steering wheel is off centre now so if you straighten it up the car shoots to the left.

It's going back in on Monday to hopefully get sorted but I truly think it's more than just the tyres.

I've also got a vibration between 50 and 70 MPH which is probably just balancing but until the senior technician has had a look then who knows.

I just think the steering geometry is not suited to the size of the wheels and tyres fitted to the Monte Carlo as it's basically a Fabia SE instead of a dedicated hot/warm hatch which would have a dedicated suspension set up.

Mine has been fitted with Pirelli P Zeros and the pull is still there.

If anything it's worse as the steering wheel is off centre now so if you straighten it up the car shoots to the left.

It's going back in on Monday to hopefully get sorted but I truly think it's more than just the tyres.

I've also got a vibration between 50 and 70 MPH which is probably just balancing but until the senior technician has had a look then who knows.

I just think the steering geometry is not suited to the size of the wheels and tyres fitted to the Monte Carlo as it's basically a Fabia SE instead of a dedicated hot/warm hatch which would have a dedicated suspension set up.

Don't think it's wheel size. Mine does it wearing 185/55/15 wheels. If anything it's worse. Has to be a fault.

I agree with louisv6,

ON my Peugeot Van I have put cheap aftermarket 17" Alloy wheels with 205/45/17 bonko tyres.

No problems at all, perfect in fact.

So at this stage it looks very unlikely that its anything to do with larger wheels or tyres on the Monty's. (Dunlop's excluded).

So as has been mentioned before, are Pirelli's masking a problem with the car?

Looks like this issue is going to run, until Skoda come clean with us all as to the problem.

CD