1400 AFH 16V conversion question - threads merged

Just a thought.....

If I put a 1400 AFH in a 1600 Felly can I then pay roadtax at the sub 1500cc rate?

What I mean is say I notify the DVLA its now 1400 will my next tax reminder have the reduced rate?

I fully expect its not that simple.... 

Yes it should end up in a lower tax band if the car was registered on or before march 1 2001, but you need to be able to prove to those folks at the dvla the engine change details, it's getting much harder nowadays, they will want receipts and written proof etc.

if it was first registered after this date it would be based on emissions so it is likely the tax band would remain the same.

if you need one of my custom made engine mountings for this conversion I have a few of them here.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes pretty much plug and play (although that's based on what's on here rather than personal experience).  

The big point is you're using the Skoda transmission, driveshafts etc which makes things a lot simpler.

I'm keen to have a go once I've fixed a few initial problems with my "new" 1600 and found a suitable engine etc.

Juan old son... There is one of those engines in a polo up at gr Harris scrapyard in southbourne.. More or less complete too, almost bought it myself.

Thanks Tom...I may go and have a look.

Not quite sure yet how I'd get it home, but that's all part of the fun (or even Fun).

They can't be that heavy surely?

If you strip it of ancilaries etc then it should go in a car boot.

Have you read through TeflonTom's thread? Probably one of the best 1.4 16v conversion threads there is.

Phil

Have you read through TeflonTom's thread? Probably one of the best 1.4 16v conversion threads there is.

Phil

Oh yes. He is my guide and mentor.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk now Free

Stripped?? They are about 85kg complete without the gearbox, if you are hench like me you lift it straight in the boot and away.

Ok so should be easy/safe with a helper.

is that an estate car I see

Not for long...it will probably belong to someone else by the weekend....(see cars for sale) but I still have my Octy as backup.

Juan old son... There is one of those engines in a polo up at gr Harris scrapyard in southbourne.. More or less complete too, almost bought it myself.

Just been to have a look...the fact that the towing eye was in didn't bode well. The management confirmed it arrived as a non-runner. Shame as the car looked really quite smart and normal, not the usual Polo 6N 16V slammed max power spotty herbert's ride.

Fair point. But I think I'll look for another one and fit the big brakes first. Built one up (Granada caliper, Hyundai disk) on a spare hub at the weekend and jobs a good un by the look of it.  

• Like 1

i run a 50mm system on mine

Is/was that standard parts? I get that the Polo 16V downpipe/cat take 50mm bore to that point but what did you use from there?

Yet another question....can the 1600 downpipe be used with the AFH? I appreciate its smaller bore but will it bolt up and seal?  

No it's got a different flange/bolt pattern, you need the polo one, I had to bend the oem polo one in a press to get it at the right angle, I supposed what you could do is cut off the flanged part with a short pipe stub and do the same to the skoda one then weld them together. I hope that makes sense, I've just read it again and my brain can't process my own words.

Tom did you notice much difference when you put the diesel exhaust system on? (ie over the original 1.3 42mm) Does it sound ok?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk