Fabia Vrs mark 2 oil usage and dsg problems

Hi My dealer has offered me a new engine, due to the oil burning issue and following breather mod, which will be fitted next week. I am happy with this but not the fact they wont warrant the new engine longer than my current warranty that runs out in March 2014. I dont understand this and I know if I bought a new engine I would get at least a year probably more?

It is standard practice for SUK not to extend your warranty when a replacement engine is fitted. However, this is not to say that they won't if you press hard enough. Make sure that you discuss your case with SUK customer services. Tell them that you have lost faith in the car and the Skoda brand. I got an extra one year non transferable warranty and will now probably keep the car until that expires.

Had my car back on Monday, got go back on the 14th November have the oil checked to see if this new fix has worked. The new clutch has sorted out the vibrations in gearbox which is good news.

Asked if they got me some prices on extended warranty and my local dealer has now decided the won't sell me any because I didn't buy my car from them. Think they are being a bit funny due to me getting customer care involved about my car. The women who is dealing with my case called today and I asked her about it, she is going to look into why the won't sell me any because it doesn't matter where i brought the car from. The good news is she said i can buy it through her if no luck with dealer.

The Used Extended Warranty is with Skoda & the Dealer gets commission,  just buy it a a Skoda Dealer that can be bothered to sell you it.

That Dealer or the person you are talking with really is an Arse.

My very helpful Receptionist came in from her holidays to do the paperwork,

obviously not stupid and going to miss out on her commission on the sale.

£399 for one year or £547 for 2, and room for a haggle.

george

Had my fabia vrs 5 months done 4 track days thrashed from day one and has only used 800ml of oil and have had no DSG problems clearly there seems to be a problem with the earlier cars my car is a 2013 CTHE engine code and i have not had any problems.

I've checked my oil today after 300 miles and it is still on maximum so maybe this new fix they are doing will work? will soon find out next Thursday when the check my oil at the dealers.

I had a e-mail recently saying my service is due this month so I called my dealer and asked if I would need new oil as my car has had new oil each time they have done a oil consumption test, i was told it would have to have new oil to keep my service record up to date. I then asked if I get a discount on the minor service as they have already got to drain the oil and refill it and was told they would knock off £10 LOL. Is it me or are my dealers making a joke out of this as they have got put new oil in for oil consumption test but are going charge me for it in my service and also only knocking £10 off due to them already draining oil off and filling it up when I thought most of the work in a minor service was the oil change? Think I will have to call SUK again to the lady who dealing with my case and ask her if its right.  

You have to follow Skodas Guidelines, to keep the Warranty Valid,

If on Fixed Servicing there Oil & Filter change could be at 9400 miles buy the Service book and car, (10,000 miles by their computers) or annual, 372 Days by the cars Maxidot.

Or if on Flexible Servicing the Oil change could be Flexible/Variable.

So you ask the Service Reception desk to check how often the Oil has been Changed and When,

if done within 9400 miles, 

Ask if that is within Guidelines,  because it is.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

See page 6,

& the 'Damage Caused by not having vehicle serviced 'manufacturers technical guidelines' etc.........'

So is the Oil being changed early within Technical Guidelines or not?

The Oil changes are not being Done longer apart than the Technical Guidelines, just more often.

They the 'Dealership'.are taking the pith. IMO

Just check with Skoda UK, and quote their Warranty Document.

How much are they quoting for a MInor Service?

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

Dealers can do it for less than this if they wish.

george

Asked if they got me some prices on extended warranty and my local dealer has now decided the won't sell me any because I didn't buy my car from them. Think they are being a bit funny due to me getting customer care involved about my car. The women who is dealing with my case called today and I asked her about it, she is going to look into why the won't sell me any because it doesn't matter where i brought the car from. The good news is she said i can buy it through her if no luck with dealer.

The dealer is clearly being an arse! It was the opposite way round for me - the supplying dealer never got back to me re extended warranty but another dealer (Henrys) couldn't have been more helpful.

SUK called me tonite and said my car got have the oil change in the minor service even tho it been changed in the oil consumption test. However they are paying half the service cost and also said if the car pasts consumption test on Thursday they will give me extended warranty as gesture of good will. Told them tho that if it fails and they do any more messing about I'm going reject the car

• Like 1

Go in for the dreaded oil test tomorrow lol, done 400 mile and dipped my oil and it gone down by a quarter on the hatch area, I suspect it going to fail it. does anybody know a rough estimate on how much oil is used when it measuring 3 quarters on hatch area?

Go in for the dreaded oil test tomorrow lol, done 400 mile and dipped my oil and it gone down by a quarter on the hatch area, I suspect it going to fail it. does anybody know a rough estimate on how much oil is used when it measuring 3 quarters on hatch area?

I'm no expert but that sounds well within tolerance.

Sorry,

but was the Oil at the top of the cross hatch and is now down 1/4, so  in the correct area.?

(the very top of the Cross hatch on the Twincharger often means it had more then 3.6 litres in if that is a Hot Check.)

or is it up 1/4  from the Bottom?

Have you looked at the Owners Manual, at the dipstick diagram? Areas, A, B, C.

But no need for it to be using any oil in 400 miles.

The Dipstick is not how they measure, or should measure Oil Usage, bacuase you can get any reading.

It is an approximation, not accurate enough to decide if an engine is using oil.

* engine needs to be up to normal operating temperature, then left to sit for about 5 minutes and dipped.

'Normal Operating temperature, they do not state what temperature that is, they say wait a few minutes,

they do not say how many minutes.*

They need to weigh/measure what goes in and measure what comes out.

400 miles counts for nothing, you are living with the car for all year around,

different weather, different driving, long trips, short trips etc.

1000 miles is more like an idea,

400 counts for nothing, except with Skoda & dealers taking the Pith.

george

The car only takes 3.6 litres, stuff putting in 0.5 litres of Oil every 800 miles or  0.75 every 1200 miles if driving normally.

If you are happy to do that because you know your style of driving requires that, then no problem.

Topping up every 2 tank fulls of petrol used.

Their 0.5 litres used per 621 miles (1000km) as being acceptable is ridiculous, possibly needing 7-8 litres a year topping up between services.

many engines might need a little top up occasionally over a 9400 miles between services. Maybe 1 litre in a year.

You need a properly carried out Oil Usage Test, and a proper inspection of the engine, some are faulty and some are not.

george

George its a quarter down from the top of the cross hatch area, when I 1st dipped it at start of test it was up to the orange blob thing, will soon see tomorrow when the weigh the oil, the last test it was on 0.6 litre per 1000km then the did the software update as breather pipe didn't work

Up at the bottom of the Top Orange Blob is the level on many cars with 3.6 litres of oil in and a Cold Check.

The engine not started.

Stone cold oil.

That level with  a hot check might be about or just below the mark on the picture i just posted with a hot check.

Usually just a bit lower than that.

Where does the Garage have the Oil on the Dipstick with a Hot Check after putting 3.6 litres of oil in the car.?

george

This is about the highest the oil should show on the Dipstick when a check is done as Skoda 

or Better still the VW Owners manual show and describe how to check you oil level.

Oil at normal operating temperature.

They told me the put 3.6 litres in when they start the test so when I get home I always check it at start of test so I know where the oil started on the dipstick so I know roughly if it been using a lot before they have it back and weigh it, I always check when oil temp reading in the 80s then let engine cool a bit then dip it

When was is at the Orange Blob then,  was that when cold after they had filled it?

And any time when dipping the Oil cold?

Ask them the exact weight of the 3.6 litres of oil they are putting in.

It must all be written on the Report they are doing, 

They must have the weight that went in, if comparing with what is away to be weighed coming out.

george

No they can not, they are supposed to be acting professionally and doing the test on behalf of Skoda to see if Warranty work is required.

Skoda are having it done on your behalf.

The File should be there now to look at, not in the near future.

Just check tomorrow what they are up to, and how things are being written up.

the 3.6 litres of oil should weigh about 3100 grams at the start of the test,

that is how much a Twinchargers correct amount of oil weights.

Very strange that oil after a trip home should be anyplace above the Cross Hatched area if the car had the oil hot and you waited to dip it for about 5 minutes.

george

PS, have you ever tried a 'Jabozuma Check'. ?

You could maybe try tomorrow before driving off.

The car needs to be sitting level and have Cold Oil.

Dip the oil cold and see where the oil level is. (on my engine with 3.7 litres of oil in, it is just below the top orange Blob.)

So start the engine and stop it right away.

Do not rev it or anything, i do not even get in the car. just turn the key, start it and stop it.

Then dip the Oil.

The oil will have gone into the Oil Filter & the level shown, might be the same level as if you were doing a Hot Check.

Worth a try, nothing to lose.

Results are in and mine is now using 0.3 litres per 621 miles so the breather pipe and software update has dropped it from 0.9. Had to wait 3 and half hour though for them do the test and a minor service, when I asked the idiot on the service desk how they were getting on with my car all he ever said was they have got wait for the manager ok the oil usage but wouldn't tell me if it passed. So by the time it was done I was fuming. When the manager came tell me my car was ready, told him I sat there 3 and half hour no one could b bothered keep me informed I had to keep asking and they couldn't even be bothered ask me if I even wanted a coffee, he wasn't very impressed so ended up with 3 bottles of screen wash for free and skoda Payed half of my service. Just got wait for head office call to sort my extended warranty out.

P.S George I've asked for a full report on the test and results and are going send them through the post as they have not typed it all up yet.

Let us know how it goes.

I am interested in how they do their weights,

they must have been written down some place before the report was written.and they could have shown you,

rather than someone sitting down now & getting the figures correct, unlike the other example where the weights were all wrong.

the thing about using 0.3 over 1000 km, or 0.5 litres is if you do not top up after a Tank & a half of fuel and you are down by 0.5 litres then your oil temp might be higher during spirited driving, & then the Oil Consumption may pick up.

400 miles or so and multiplying that usage is not telling the tale of going off for a week and doing 1000 miles say.

So this tests over 300 km and the likes are all very well if people are then going to run their car and keep topping up in regular basis.

Cold running and short trips where the car is never getting up to heat, can use some oil where thrashing when hot might use none.

You will see yourself how much you need to keep putting in,

& with the Warranty still valid, they will have to do whats needed if the Oil Consumption gets higher.

?? Can you check and tell sometime please,

What does it show on the Dip Stick  after coming back from its Service,  Cold Dip & Hot Dip.??

have fun.

george

No problem George will try and check tommorrow for you both hot and cold dip, the 400 mile I did for the test mainly consisted of miles going work and back which is 10 mile there. When I get the report will scan it into pc and post on here for you.

Thanks all for advice and information on it.

• Like 1