Vrs steering suddenly gone heavy

C1FLA

For the last week the car has felt really odd.its a battle to get the at round a corner,steering is really heavy and car slides and rolls really bad in the corners,still 5mm on thread ltd on my tyres all round (Bridgestone potenzas).there is a steering wheel wobble and Iv had the balancing checked which was good and don't see any dents or that on wheels.any ideas guys?

get it checked ASAP

heavy steering, power steering fault?

rolling in corners, drop link failed, roll bar issue?

any dash warning lights?

any knocking over bumps or corners?

heavy steering as in no power steering?

My vRS's power steering failed, but even with 2 new Steering racks, 2 new power steering pumps and 2 new steering angle sensors it wasnt fixed.  Had an Audi Master Tech looking into the fault and he gave up in the end as he just did not know what was wrong with it!!

no there is power steering but its a real battle to get it round a corner.there is a knocking noise and its been in and out of the garage but they cant find it and its getting worse.

Did your steering fail just after your new engine was fitted.?

Back to them then for a proper repair, if it is not just a tyre problem.

Maybe into Dundee if T&P can not get things diagnosed and properly done.

EDIT.

They need to get in a proper trained and qualified professional to sort your car, they seem totally incompetent as it is.

Or someone that can check the jobs they are putting back out on the road.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/271338-vrs-broke-downrac-to-the-rescue

george

no there is power steering but its a real battle to get it round a corner.there is a knocking noise and its been in and out of the garage but they cant find it and its getting worse.

Mine started with a knocking noise when turning left. then the power steering just failed.

any dash warning lights?

As said before in other threads, my power steering failed but gave no warning lights or fault codes.  Diagnostics showed nothing, the VAG procedures for fault diagnosis showed no faults, it stumped the master techs, hence why we (APR) wasted alot of money in replacing parts (TWICE to rule out faulty replacements) to no avail.  Skoda's answer to it was if it wasnt the rack/pump or sensor, then it must be the ECU, but that doesnt explain why it knocked!  It does explain why i  got rid of it though lol

so the power steering still works... sounds like a tyre failure to me... could be delaminating....

id be shocked if that was the case and the OP would surely have looked at the tyres before starting this topic.

edit: Just read the OP again.  5mm tread on all tyres!

doesn't matter, I've had many tyre failures, I had lost handling, and had bad vibration on my mark I vRS, felt "broken" so a trip to the dealers was in order, they said everything was perfect so it MUST be my tyres....

My tyres were less than 6 months old 6 mill on all all matched avon ZZ3's, got a tyre place to remover the fronts (no external signs at ALL) and there was a crack (on the INTERNAL of the tyre [about 3 inches long] where the tread meets the wall, and they said the tyre had gone "oval" and could have blown at any time!!!!!!!!!

MY experiance, so don't discount it! (I get the impression by his posts his power steering is working....)

MORE info OP ?! :thumbup:

Wee report on driving to work today,car is defo getting worse.feels so heavy when driving in flat straight road and always wants to dive to one side,same when braking.had a shot of my dads monte and his feels completely normal

If the garage is not checking or bothering to check, then you need to look or have someone look at the Pads and the Calipers and see if they are sliding OK & free with no binding.

If physically all is OK with the Tyres, Brakes, Suspension, Steering mechanically,

Then the electrics & connections from the  ECU and  EBC, ESP, ASR, HBA, ABS, HHC & the EDL systems are going to need to be checked.

(or what ever they want to call things!)

So on the Diagnostics, to see if there are error codes, and that is not exactly difficult for the Dealership to do.

There maybe is a mechanical or electrical control fault. given the previous problems.

** i would suggest they put the car on the MOT Rollers/Brake tester and then see the Braking Efficiency for each corner.**

george

PS, When were the tyre pressures last checked, ?

and what pressure are you running them at front and rear when running with a lightly loaded car?

Steering goes VERY heavy when the PAS fails but it still goes round corners.

Mine was strill driveabl with the powersteering failed.  I put around 1000 miles on it with the duff steering before selling it.  It was fine to drive, albeit hard work, and a nightmare to park, but once moving it was acceptable.  Just like driving a car before PAS came in.

My thought was an ECU brain fart and the Steering now set with less assistance.

Even the Dealership having been messing about with trying to reset it, and having gone 'less assistance.'

Or it now being in a 'Default' Assistance steering mode.

Something that needs checking sometimes with used cars that have choices of things like 'Disability Settings',

is that the car can go back to Factory Settings. (the previous owner/driver had setting changed to suit them.)

You could buy a car that has been set with 'Disabled' giving more assistance, then sometime later it gets worked on 

and then you find back to standard on Steering, Brakes, or even Traction.

george

Mine was strill driveabl with the powersteering failed.  I put around 1000 miles on it with the duff steering before selling it.  It was fine to drive, albeit hard work, and a nightmare to park, but once moving it was acceptable.  Just like driving a car before PAS came in.

Mine had deffo failed - wires pulled out of the controller so no PAS pump at all...  Don't think the wheels were pointing the same way either though!