MDI in on Columbus Possible?

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can offer me some help and I apologose if this has been asked before...I have a 2009 (09 plate) Superb 170 Elegance with Columbus headunit, singer CD, radio, SD card input and a Aux (in the front centre arm rest).

I've connected the ipod and iphone to the columbus using the Aux connection but the volume level is rubbish. With the ipod / iphone volume set to full, I have to have the volume on the head unit raised to at least two thirds of the way to get a decent sound level. I know it isn't anything to do with the ipod / iphone or the recording levels of the digital tracks as they sound fantastic on my home hifi and JBL dock. So I'm assuming it has to be the Aux input that's naff.

The sound from the radio and CD are impressive and I don't need to 'crank it up' at all to get a decent (very good actually) sound from the columbus, which again leads me to think the Aux input isn't the best. I imagine that using a MDI connection would improve the sound tremendously as it would take the digital signal direct from the ipod's DAC and not through the headphone socket and I understand that I would also have full control of the ipod through the Columbus.. Question is how do I connect a DMI to the columbus? Is it possible to retrofit these to all Columbus units or is it model specific?

Any help with this would be greatfully received..

MDI can be easily retrofitted using one of the kits on ebay, you may need to get the Columbus coded correctly with VCDS to enable the MDI to function.

A cheaper option would be the aux input, as you have tried.  It is possible using one of the Columbus menu options to increase the sensitivity of the aux input,  so you can reduce the iphone volume and have the Columbus volume at more normal levels. It's been a while since I last used a Columbus so I cannot remember where exactly the setting is.

Assuming that you've got your files in mp3 format on your iThing, why not put your music onto a SD card?

As mannyo says, there are plenty of other after-market kits available that will connect up to Columbus - it's the same as the RNS-510 unit used by VW.  Some kits have a built-in DAC into the connector, I guess it depends on how compressed/uncompressed your music is in the first place...

Hi JakeBlade,

The reason I want to use my iPod is that I've got roughly 120 GB of music on it... I would guess that the columbus hasn't had a firmware update since new so I think it'll only recognise up to 2GB on SD card?..that's a lot of SD cards.

mannyo,

Where would the MDI plug in to? I think I read somewhere that it plugs in to where the CD changer would normally be?

Sorry, but totally new to the Skoda set up and slowly finding out that I need to spend quite some time / money on getting it up to date i.e. Bluetooth doesn't recognise iPhone 5, old maps, only 5 digit postcode search, no MDI lead etc. Is there anyone in the Peterborough area that I could meet with and who knows about how I do this? The dealer (salesman), doesn't seem to know much at all - he reckoned that my iPhone won't connect because of IOS7... I know it's because I have an early bluetooth unit and need a newer version.

Thanks,

You'll want this if you don't have Aux input or do and don't want to keep it: http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-media-in-mdi-kit-ipod-adapter-retrofit-5n0035342e,id290.html

Read this thread for more info on fitting:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/281024-mdi-and-bluetooth-retrofit/#entry3357898

And this for deciding where to mount it ( I think dash top box would be the best place):

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/281317-mdi-mounting-bracket-fitting/?fromsearch=1

• Like 1

Rather than the MDI retrofit, I'd prioritise on replacing the Bluetooth module. Once you've paired your iPhone you can then scroll through the MFD and add the iPhone (or iPod) as a media device and play tracks that way. Bluetooth as a source becomes available on the Columbus (to the right of Aux). Volume is on a par with other inputs (radio, CD, SD), track names are displayed on the Columbus. Navigation is limited to skip tracks back and forth as far as I can establish, but that seems to be the only downside versus the MDI.

• Like 1

The problem is your last point: you have very little control over what's being played.

I might listen to a podcast and then put music on. This isn't practical without lots of button pressing or picking up the phone.

• Like 1

You'll want this if you don't have Aux input or do and don't want to keep it: http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-media-in-mdi-kit-ipod-adapter-retrofit-5n0035342e,id290.html

Wouldn't I still have the problem of a 'low output' level if I use the Aux input? Isn't there any other input sockets on the Columbus that can be used for the MDI?

Rather than the MDI retrofit, I'd prioritise on replacing the Bluetooth module. Once you've paired your iPhone you can then scroll through the MFD and add the iPhone (or iPod) as a media device and play tracks that way. Bluetooth as a source becomes available on the Columbus (to the right of Aux). Volume is on a par with other inputs (radio, CD, SD), track names are displayed on the Columbus. Navigation is limited to skip tracks back and forth as far as I can establish, but that seems to be the only downside versus the MDI.

Yes, I'm also looking into upgrading the bluetooth module as it doesn't recognise my iphone (another £100 or so), but for my music tracks, the MDI gives full control which is what I need.

Wouldn't I still have the problem of a 'low output' level if I use the Aux input? Isn't there any other input sockets on the Columbus that can be used for the MDI?

With MDI why would you use the Aux?

The only inputs are ones that connect to the back of the Columbus.

MDI gives you USB, mini USB or iPhone/iPod.

The Aux gives you 3.5 mm input.

It's possible to connect a CD Multi changer to the back.

There are Connects 2 or other manufacturer options that also connect to the back.

Then there's BT which connects to the back.

Or there's an SD slot or CD/DVD slot on the front.

That's all the options I know of.

To overcome your problem if explore the options mannyo gives in post #2: check the menus for input levels then, if no joy, find someone with VCDS to look and adjust it if possible.

No point in spending lots of money if you are happy to pick up your phone and 'push' music to the HU via the Aux socket.

If you want full control from the HU then MDI is the only OE option.

I think Padredante is worried if the mdi uses the same input as aux he will have the same sound quality issues?

However, they are completely different input mechanisms just using the same pins into the HU.

In fact the aux can also be retained as an input, simply routed as some kind of pass-through the MDI, and it then is available when nothing is plugged into the MDI. The quality of the aux is not improved by this in my experience. And nor is the operability any different.

I still use my aux but only to listen to 5 Live Sports Extra on my little portable DAB radio I keep in the jumbo box.

Adam

In that case, I missed the point. Sorry.

I can vouch for the quality of the MDI with an iPhone. No issues at all with sound quality, full control from the head unit and definitely no need to turn the phone volume up to distortion levels (in fact I've never had any distortion issues even at silly volumes).

I think Padredante is worried if the mdi uses the same input as aux he will have the same sound quality issues

Yes, that was exactly my concern...

It's possible to connect a CD Multi changer to the back.

If you want full control from the HU then MDI is the only OE option.

I haven't got a CD multi changer so could I use this input for the MDI?

They all share the same connector block: http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswagen-rcd-510-pin-assignments

I currently have BT, MDI & CD changer operating off the same connectors. I could have had Aux as well but, with this selection available, it really wasn't needed.

If I really do need it, I believe there is a 3.5 mm input cable for MDI...

Can you recap exactly what you are after in light of this thread as I feel I'm giving errant advice as I've missed the point. Thank you.

They all share the same connector block: http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswagen-rcd-510-pin-assignments

I currently have BT, MDI & CD changer operating off the same connectors. I could have had Aux as well but, with this selection available, it really wasn't needed.

If I really do need it, I believe there is a 3.5 mm input cable for MDI...

Can you recap exactly what you are after in light of this thread as I feel I'm giving errant advice as I've missed the point. Thank you.

OK, here we go...

Firstly, I haven't taken the unit out so I don't know model number (but I do know it's a 'Columbus') and I don't know what inputs there are or what they look like until I do. But the situation so far is this:

• I do NOT have an MDI input installed anywhere in the car.
  • I do NOT have a CD multi disc changer - just a single CD player.
  • I do have an AUX in installed in the front centre arm rest - but as mentioned previously, sound from this is dissapointing along with the fact that an ipod / iphone cannot be controlled through the head unit / steering wheel.

Now what I would like to do is:

• Keep the Aux in - as I've been told that it's possible to make adjustments to the sound output level (inprove it) and I'd rather leave it as standard fitment. 
  • Install an MDI input - giving me a better sound and full HU & steering wheel control

How / Where do I:

• Plug an MDI in into the rear of the head unit - I'd heard you could simply use the input block used to connect a CD changer - but by what you're saying they all go in to the same block. Does this mean I have to make a custom lead connection or just cut and join the MDI to the existing lead?
  • look to install the Apple / MDI lead for best / ease of use - glovebox?

I'm really sorry if I come across lacking in all this.. but I am! Once I familiarise myself with what's needed I should be OK though.

I really appreciate the help / advice.

This then: http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-media-in-mdi-kit-usb-adapter-retrofit-5n0035342e,id292.html

If you read my thread (3rd link in post #5) you'll see that I had problems retro fitting it to the glovebox and think that the dash top box is a much better place.

To do it properly you'll want a fly lead trim (about £5) and an MDI mounting bracket (about £8 IIRC). I'll get part numbers on these later, but if you search this forum you'll find them quite easily.

Fitting is a question of unplugging the big black connector on the back of the Columbus and plugging it in to the female part of the loom you'll be buying. The male part of the loom goes into the back of the Columbus.

No cutting of wires required although some jiggling to make it all fit will be required.

Run the long bit of the loom to where the MDI bracket will be holding the controller (behind the glovebox). From this run the first patch lead to the dash top box where you need to cut a hole and use the flylead trim to secure it in place.

Then finally choose the appropriate lead (Apple 30 pin, USB, mini USB) to connect it all to your device.

Your car will need coding to tell it that MDI is installed. This can be done by a Briskodian with VCDS very easily for beer. Search this forum for the VCDS owners register.

Are you anywhere near Worcester / Hereford?

HTH

So you want to do something very similar to what I have done.

I fitted an MDI unit into the glovebox, and fed the AUX through it so AUX is available when the MDI is not in use.  Just to note I do not have steering wheel control over my MDI apart from volume, but the head unit has full control with generally good quality.  I have had problems with my kids' phones but I think this is to do with using Spotify rather than the standard music setup, but when I use a normal memory stick with my own music on it, it is totally fine.

I bought an MDI kit, something like this on the carsystems.pl website (see: http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-media-in-mdi-kit-usb-adapter-for-cars-with-aux-retrofit-5n0035342e,id365.html).  This comes with a loom that fits into the back of the Columbus and saves making one of your own.  It purports to deal with maintaining the AUX, although I didn't have this option at the time and I had to play with the wiring slightly to make it happen.  I won't go into the latter as it is hopefully not necessary for you.

Basically you pull out the head unit (remove trim with a plastic tool, and then remove 4 torx screws) and remove the quadlock.  Put the big connectors of this loom in between the quadlock and the car loom (it all fits together one way only) and then you connect the media in box to the small connector. This is then ready to test.  I'm not sure if AUX is delivered in the same way as on mine with this slightly different loom, but both MDI and AUX should appear under your media button on the Columbus in some way.  It may need coding with VCDS at this point - I can't remember if I needed to do this for it to work, but I probably did. 

KBPhoto's fitting thread referenced earlier is helpful for positioning everything, so follow that and ensure all the wiring is tucked away carefully, before it all goes back together.  I recommend getting a fitting bracket for the MDI and a finishing flylead trim.  For the Octavia, the bracket fixes the MDI behind the glovebox.

The part number for the bracket is 1Z2 035 643 and for the flylead trim is 4F0 035 909.

Coding is ticking the media player in the CAN Gateway 19 and that is it I think.  And under the media hard button on the Columbus there is an option on mine to enable Aux, presumably you will have the same when it comes to testing.

Hope that helps for now

Adam

Edit:sorry my thread crossed with KB's by the look of it - glad we agree!!

Have ordered this.http://www.carsystem...342e,id292.html

Now waiting for it to turn up before I can decide what else I need before fitting i.e. cradle etc. Only thing is I'll need to find someone locally that can do the coding for me..

Question...when I've fitted DMI but not had the coding done (until I find someone locally), will I still be able to use tall the other features of the he head unit as normal?

The head unit should be fine while awaiting coding. However, the unit you have ordered says you lose aux. This one has a ready made loom to keep aux: http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-media-in-mdi-kit-usb-adapter-for-cars-with-aux-retrofit-5n0035342e,id365.html
If its not too late I suggest changing the order as otherwise the wiring will be a bit more complicated if you want to keep aux.

Adam

My mistake earlier for not reading the full text.

Both adamal's link & mine both state in the heading that they are for cars with Aux input but the text underneath is more specific.

Reading back over the OP's list of requirements I can see that adamal is correct.

The head unit should be fine while awaiting coding. However, the unit you have ordered says you lose aux. This one has a ready made loom to keep aux: http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-media-in-mdi-kit-usb-adapter-for-cars-with-aux-retrofit-5n0035342e,id365.html

If its not too late I suggest changing the order as otherwise the wiring will be a bit more complicated if you want to keep aux.

Adam

My mistake earlier for not reading the full text.

Both adamal's link & mine both state in the heading that they are for cars with Aux input but the text underneath is more specific.

Reading back over the OP's list of requirements I can see that adamal is correct.

Bugger!... Too late they've already despatched the order. Ah well, that'll teach me. It even states in the title 'with USB lead' yet I need the iPod lead - Ahhh! 

I've got a spare genuine iPod lead sat here doing not a lot if you want that.

I actually have a spare used one and a spare unused one (don't ask).

PM me if you are interested and I'll try to redeem my mistake earlier...

Keep the USB one in case you need / want to update the MDI firmware in the future (or put a large HD as repository for all your music MP3's).

KBPhoto,

Don't worry, you were trying to help me out which I appreciate. Anyway like said before I should have double checked. Regarding the iPod lead, there's a PM on it's way to you.

• Like 1